Best motherboard for 2600k

Well price isn't really an issue, are those still the best when budget is not a concern?

Most MB's are just derivatives of a line. I'd guess that the extreme, premium, and etc models would be more of the same. I'd find a review of a board that you like, then sort through and find one with the feature you want, or since you have no defined budget you can just get the most expensive. I guess you plan to overclock since your'e getting the k model?

could be just me, but $320 for a sandy bridge board seems a bit much. Especially considering that this is a socket 1156 replacement, not 1366. But I guess the best until 2011 honors such a price.

If you are going air, pretty much so any of the good boards will perform the same when overclocked. If interested in raid, I'd just get the cheapest ASUS, GIGABYTE, etc. board with the raid options you seek. Normally the deluxe versions are the base line for raid. I just think you could do the same while spending less. Looks like SB overclocking is fairly n00b as is.

Yes, but you have to put 2 drives on the 6Gb/s ports and 2 drives on the 3Gb/s ports.

Could always get a dedicated RAID card along with any P67 motherboard and be set.

I enjoy my MSI P67A-GD65. Press the OC Genie and get your 4.2 GHz easy.

Could you give us some information about what this is going to be used for?

Could always get a dedicated RAID card along with any P67 motherboard and be set.

That depends on what someone is going to use that system for. "Dedicated" RAID cards can come with either hardware controllers or cheapo software controllers similar to on-motherboard Jmicron controllers. And since the LGA 1155/P67 platform has only four available PCI-e lanes (after accounting for the graphics card, onboard USB 3.0 controllers, PCI-e to PCI bridge controllers, additional SATA controllers and onboard PCI-e NICs), one should be careful. The P67 motherboards with PCI-e x4 slots (which are in reality x16-length slots running electrically at x4 and connected to the PCH's PCI-e controller rather than the CPU's) will drop the bandwidth of that x4 slot all the way down to x1 if any PCI-e cards at all whatsoever are inserted into an x1 slot. And since the pricier hardware RAID controllers really need to be fed at least the full x4 bandwidth to perform at their best (and PCI-e 1.0 x4, at that), dropping that slot to x1 would have resulted in the card running at only PCI-e 1.0 x1 bandwidth, which would have resulted in the entire RAID array connected to such a card running slower (total, not per drive) than the theoretical maximum throughput of a single drive connected to the onboard/integrated SATA controller! (Remember, all of the PCI-e lanes on the P67 platform are of full PCI-e 2.0 spec - but using a PCI-e 1.0 card into such a slot will cut the bandwidth in half.)

Many P67 motherboards have a second x16 slot running in x8 mode. However, it shares the bandwidth with the primary x16 slot. Thus, using that x8 slot would have also dropped the bandwidth of the primary x16 slot to x8. That might not affect gaming graphics performance much, but would adversely affect graphics performance in certain applications (Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 is one of the apps whose performance in the GPU-accelerated mode of its Mercury Playback Engine would suffer quite severely if the x16 slot is allowed to drop to x8 - to the point that you might as well force software-only mode with some Nvidia GPUs that otherwise fully support GPU acceleration).

Last edited:
Back