Updated Eyefinity Problems

arachn1d

Gawd
I just purchased 2x 6950's.

I have 2x 2407WFP's and 1x 2407WFP-HC's.

I am using the following adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004071ZXA/ref=oss_product

Initially, I couldn't any monitor using that adapter to be recognized at a resolution higher than 1680x. It would simply be recognized as "generic non pnp monitor."

After some googling I figured out how to make the EDID. Once I did that I could use the native resolution.

Once I did that I couldn't get Eyefinity to work with bezel compensation. I did after a while however it doesn't seem to be working that well.

Whatever game I run it doesn't seem the bezels are being compensated for, and Left For Dead 2 doesn't even run on more than one monitor.

My displays are the same, what gives?
My bezels are compensated, or so I thought why does it look bad? Did I compensate it wrongly?

Why won't left for dead 2 recognize eyefinity? It complains "unrecognized drivers/video card series"

Is my adapter bad?
Is it because 2x monitors are 2407WFP's vs one 2407WFP-HC?

Does AMD just suck so bad that I should sell my 6950's and get 2x GTX 570's? Would I have less problems? Right now I'm really irritated. :(

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Your problems can probably be traced back to whatever EDID hack you had to do in the first place. And the reason you had to do that hack was probably because you were using an adapter that's just not working out for you for whatever reason. Try another adapter or try plugging the same adapter into a different monitor to at least isolate the problem.

If you've bypassed EDID it's possible that bezel compensation will not work, in which case you need an adapter that does work with EDID. Maybe try the active version of the adapter you have?

edit
NM, I was incorrect. It appears you couldn't even set 1920x1080. If it was an undersan issue, you'd have it set to 1920x1080, but it would look like it wasn't at full res. Anyways, ignore me. Most likely a faulty adapter...I am using the same Accel adapter without issue on different screens with bezel correction enabled.

The issue was two fold I think. I think you ran into the notorious AMD underscan issue to start with, and if your efforts to fix the problem (EDID hack), you broke bezel compensation. Anyway to undue the EDID hack and go back and see if its just a matter of setting underscan to 0%? I know one of my screens defaulted to 1680x1050, and it was because underscan was being annoying and didn't default to 0%.

Your problems can probably be traced back to whatever EDID hack you had to do in the first place. And the reason you had to do that hack was probably because you were using an adapter that's just not working out for you for whatever reason. Try another adapter or try plugging the same adapter into a different monitor to at least isolate the problem.

I'll try undoing the EDID right now.

Whatever adapter I connect the monitor to, that's the one that has a max resolution of 1680 (generic non pnp)

If you've bypassed EDID it's possible that bezel compensation will not work, in which case you need an adapter that does work with EDID. Maybe try the active version of the adapter you have?

edit
NM, I was incorrect. It appears you couldn't even set 1920x1080. If it was an undersan issue, you'd have it set to 1920x1080, but it would look like it wasn't at full res. Anyways, ignore me. Most likely a faulty adapter...I am using the same Accel adapter without issue on different screens with bezel correction enabled.

The issue was two fold I think. I think you ran into the notorious AMD underscan issue to start with, and if your efforts to fix the problem (EDID hack), you broke bezel compensation. Anyway to undue the EDID hack and go back and see if its just a matter of setting underscan to 0%? I know one of my screens defaulted to 1680x1050, and it was because underscan was being annoying and didn't default to 0%.

How do I fix the underscan issue?

I'm trying to undo the EDID hack now. I think that's just changing the drivers, right?

I'll look into the 0% underscan problem... Thanks guys. I feel like I'm getting somewhere now.

Guys to add to the issue, I put 2407WFP drivers on two monitors. And I put 2408WFP-HC on 1 monitor.

When I check device manager all is good.

When I check catalyst control center. The monitor with the active displayport adapter (dvi to mini dp) is coming up as "FAKE" compared to the other displays. Ideas?

Okay so monitor hooked up to dvi -> mini displayport = 1600x1200 (display device on Mobile PC display)

In the device manager this one I made 2407WFP-Digital (installed dell drivers). If I left Windows 7 to handle it, it'll be "generic non plp monitor"
middle monitor dvi is recognized as dell 2407WFP (digital) dvi (left to windows 7 as Generic PNP)
right motniro dvi is recognized as dell 2407WFP-HC (digital) dvi (left to windows 7 as generic pnp)

So do I have a bad adapter? Should I remove all drivers? What to do?

Would I have less problems if I bought 3x Dell 23011H 23 inch monitors? Are they nice? I see them for $250 in the dell outlet and I can sell my current monitors for $250 each and pick those up.

3 displayports on those. I guess I'd pick up one adapter from displayport to dvi? Would I still be running into issues?

The picture of the DP adapter doesn't show a USB connection. A real active adapter has a USB connection for power.

You may even find that using a DP to VGA adapter will work for you. I've read that these adapters are in themselves "active".

The picture of the DP adapter doesn't show a USB connection. A real active adapter has a USB connection for power.

You may even find that using a DP to VGA adapter will work for you. I've read that these adapters are in themselves "active".

Only the dual link active adapters have a secondary USB power connector. The single link adapters, which are rated for 1080p, do not need or use a secondary USB power adapter.

The dual link adapters are needed for resolutions higher then 1920x1080...the accel adapter he is using is certified by AMD for 1080p and lower. I'm using the same adapter on a 24" 1080 display...not issues.

How do I fix the underscan issue?

I'm trying to undo the EDID hack now. I think that's just changing the drivers, right?

I'll look into the 0% underscan problem... Thanks guys. I feel like I'm getting somewhere now.

Arachnid, to fix the underscan issue, do the following.

Open CCC
In upper left drop down menu, go to "Desktops & Displays"
In the lower left of that screen (not the middle display group), select the offending monitor (monitor with bad resolution), and click on the triangle. A drop down menu should appear, select "configure"
Then select "Scaling Options", and at the underscan/overscan slider, make sure its at 0%

If none of this makes any sense to you, you are probably running the 10.12 preview drivers using the new CCC. These are the incorrect drivers for 6900 cards. You need the 10.12a hotfix, which can be found here

Last edited:
Only the dual link active adapters have a secondary USB power connector. The single link adapters, which are rated for 1080p, do not need or use a secondary USB power adapter.

The dual link adapters are needed for resolutions higher then 1920x1080...the accel adapter he is using is certified by AMD for 1080p and lower. I'm using the same adapter on a 24" 1080 display...not issues.

Open CCC
In the lower left of that screen (not the middle display group), select the offending monitor (monitor with bad resolution), and click on the triangle. A drop down menu should appear, select "configure"
Then select "Scaling Options", and at the underscan/overscan slider, make sure its at 0%

If none of this makes any sense to you, you are probably running the 10.12 preview drivers using the new CCC. These are the incorrect drivers for 6900 cards. You need the 10.12a hotfix, which can be found here
Thank you. I did have the 11.1a preview. I will do the 10.a patch.

So, regarding my adapter. I have a 1020p display. The adapters say they support up to that. When I fake my EDID it does display that resolution properly. It's just when I plug it in normally it recognizes is as a generic non plp monitor. Does that mean the adapter is bad? Shouldn't it recognize it properly as the other monitors?

I'd do what you say with the underscan but don't know if that'll fix the issue since WIndows isn't recognizing it properly. I think I may go to Fry's now and buy another dvi -> minidisplayport adapter. Should I?

Open CCC

I'm trying to do the "scaling options" on the first display and it's greyed out. It won't let me slide it.

I have switched to the 10.12a drivers.

I tried changing the displayport it's plugged into and no luck.

In catalyist Control Center that left display which is connected via DVI > MDP is recognized as "Fake" for Display Name, Max resolution "FAKE", and max refresh rate "FAKE"

Is that a name you assigned it when you created the EDID? It seriously just sounds like messing with the EDID does not play nice with ATI drivers even if you can brute force the res. It also sounds like you've tried everything but returning the adapter. Since no one else seems to be having issues with this adapter, it's probably defective.

Is that a name you assigned it when you created the EDID? It seriously just sounds like messing with the EDID does not play nice with ATI drivers even if you can brute force the res. It also sounds like you've tried everything but returning the adapter. Since no one else seems to be having issues with this adapter, it's probably defective.
Oh wow. IT TOTALLY WAS THE ADAPTER! I went to Fry's and picked up a new one and Windows 7 now recognizes it properly. Wow I can't believe how many things can go wrong and to weed it out it was that. Thank god. I am a lot happier now. Okay, NEXT ISSUE!

I'm not sure how to properly do the bezel compensation. Is this correct?

XXXzPl.jpg

As an example, I push my browser window to the left and it "disappears" is that supposed to happen or does that mean I didn't compensate properly?
r5DVwl.jpg

Your eyefinity setup is correct! Bezel correction adds "hidden" pixels behind the bezels, so things will appear to disapear behind the bezels.
One thing I'll suggest is to create a gaming profile for Eyefinity, then just use regular "extended" desktop profile for web browsing and whatnot. Having one giant screen can be a chore when you're just trying to maximize your work space. Suddenly...putting a new window in each of your screens becomes next to impossible, unless you make use of HydraGrid.

Oh, and it appears I might have been mistaken. I didn't realize the 11.1 drivers were available. IIRC, they have support for the 6900 cards, and should be the drivers used. For some reason I thought they released on the 25th. I thought you might have been using the standard 10.12 drivers...which is why I linked the 10.12a drivers.

Thank you so much guys for helping me out. I wouldn't know what to do without [h]. Everyone on any other forum sounds so illiterate compared to you guys.

Thanks again. I can't wait to game on now! WOOT!

Congrats bro. Enjoy some awesome games. COD BLOPS, Wings of Prey, Just Cause 2, and Bad Company 2 were the best-looking games for triple monitor in my experience. Oh, and can't forget HL2 (Valve optimized and modernized the engine a bit over the years) and EP1 and 2. Epic.

i have the same problem this is the third adapter ive baught and now i have to drive all the way back to microcenter and get a new one. whats the best brand to get? these XFX ones i have been using are made by a company called "Wieson"
seems xfx has decided to use rebranded active adapters which brand is the best or actually which will fix the "non-pnp generic monitor" "fake" 640x480 error... my only inclination is that the firmware in most of these is fried by either a power serge or magnets. what a waste of time this is. y would ati use such a faulty system in order to run their eyefinity setup..... AAAGHHHHH

Accell B087B-005B 0.95 1920x1200 is the one i just baught. doesnt work. still gives same error. tried on all 3 monitors and with all different cables. same with the rebranded xfx one... now tomorrow back to microcenter for the 4th time.

my computer had crashed the other day then upon reboot it started giving me this error, since then ive rebuilt my computer new cpu ram mobo etc cause the motherboard got fucked. could it be the display port itself? how can i test that?

Back