Asus Sabertooth P67

I went with Asus P67 Pro at release. I will go Sabertooth once it's released.

Power phases are good for what exactly? Sounds catchy!

Also don't want to spend more than $300 if I can help it.

Just finished build with STP67, and awesome board. Minimalist approach, eliminates most unnecessary features, and gets to the point, performance. Built the rig, plugged in and was up and running in Win7 without having to do reinstall on drives.

Updated bios to most recent as posted in forum, and was able to reach the 5.0 mark and above, easily, but unstable. Dropped back to 4.8 to run until I learn a little more about new functions and features. Power control is awesome on board, and from my reading, what is necessary to get these chips to hum. Temp radar is also awesome, eliminates the need for all the wires, and very accurate. More than enough ports, three usb 2.0 plus 3.0 headers, etc..

Having owned the RE3, I can say that although the STP67 does not have the cool oc features (I really loved the PCIE switches), it is also true it does not need them. Very stable platform, and Asus hit a home run with this board IMO.

A couple of points for those considering using for build:

Fan for Vest is 50mm, not 70mm, which I read in some of the reviews. I recommend using one, and Asus should have included one with compatible theme colors. Memory profile is not limited to 1866 which is what the Asus specs say, as well as the reviews. Drop down menu for memory profile has 2133, and higher options.
Download most recent AI Suite and patch, and when installing you gotta install patch twice before you install AI Suite.

Last edited:
@Archangel7, could you test how far down (in RPM) you can adjust the fans with this board?

No prob, fan control module in UEFI has lower limit of 600 rpms. Tried the radar control panel to adjust speed of fans on H70, but no go. Fans maintained constant speed no matter what profile I applied. Chassis fans run just above 600 rpms, so no room to adjust, and run quiet anyway. Was able to adjust 50mm fan, but it has a much higher rpm limit, minimum of 60% if memory serves me correctly. PWM may allow for greater control.

Hope that helps

as long as it has all the features you need, asus will never let you down :)

No prob, fan control module in UEFI has lower limit of 600 rpms. Tried the radar control panel to adjust speed of fans on H70, but no go. Fans maintained constant speed no matter what profile I applied. Chassis fans run just above 600 rpms, so no room to adjust, and run quiet anyway. Was able to adjust 50mm fan, but it has a much higher rpm limit, minimum of 60% if memory serves me correctly. PWM may allow for greater control.

Hope that helps

Thanks. :) It helps a bit. In bios, there is an option for manual settings, but these seems to be temperature based according to the manual. I'm in it for stability (and low noise), not so much OC, so I think I'll pull the trigger on the Sabertooth.

Power phases are good for what exactly? Sounds catchy!

Also don't want to spend more than $300 if I can help it.

The general semi-truth is that the more power phases you have, the easier it is to have a higher stable overclock. This is only true if the rest of the power delivery system is equal. Here is where "military grade" TUF components come in. Haven't you wondered why all ASUS's top "republic of gamers" overclock boards (like ASUS ROG Rampage III Extreme) have only 8 phase to CPU, while boards like the Deluxe have 16 phase?

You might find some answer here:

Microprocessor load current profiles have changed to the point that using single-phase regulators is no longer a viable solution. Designing a regulator that is cost-effective, thermally sound, and efficient has become a challenge that only multi-phase converters can accomplish nowadays. Note that the number of phases utilized is left to the discretion of the designer(s) - no VRD configuration includes this specification. The consensus amongst most enthusiasts is that a greater phase count results in a more "stable" Vcore (Vcc) delivery - a fallacy which motherboard designers and industry marketing leaders are all too willing to promote (it's much cheaper to slap a few more power delivery phases on a motherboard than to create an actual high-performance design). Quality of power regulation is dependent on the robustness of the design, to include proper power and ground plane placement, effective signal routing and decoupling measures, selection, location and rated capacity of correctly matched components and overall adherence to sound engineering principles. Because of this, the design and implementation of a well developed 5-phase solution will, in most situations, out perform a "lesser tuned" 8-phase solution.
http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=126

Basically, quality is better then quantity.

I've yet to see any real evidence that anything above high quality 8 phase has any practical value whatsover in stability with high OC's.

Last edited:
I waited 4 days for this board to go on sale at Newegg and it just did. Bought one.
It's a SB chip, it will hit 4.5GHz+ on almost any P67 board. The same goes for X58 when that was released.
There wasn't any difference in my OC from the $400 Rampage III Extreme to the $220 Rampage III Gene motherboards.
The chip batch is more important than the board really.

I don't like the blue color of the other ASUS boards. I'm going with a neutral colored build this time around, no blue or red themes. The STP67 fits the bill.

Last edited:
Its definitely a nice looking board. If the Sabertooths are still around in the next couple years, I'll consider it without a doubt.

Its definitely a nice looking board. If the Sabertooths are still around in the next couple years, I'll consider it without a doubt.

Yeah I'll be considering a Sabertooth X68 Ivy Bridge board myself.

I just updated my rig with this board, a 2600k, 16 gigs of Gskill and a second 6970 and all I can say is that it screams.

I had some initial instability as Asus tries to auto tune the memory overclock. I just manually stuck it at 100 and it's rock solid. I kinda wish I had a third PCI-E for my 8800GTS (PhysX), but the chipset only supports two x8 slots and I don't see any mobos with add-ons to allow more...yet.

Hello, my friend just built a new system using the Sabertooth P67 and i5-2500K. She is using a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Cooler and Cooler Master RC-692-KKN2 CM690 Advanced Case.

She has all the fans (CPU fan and 3 case fans) hooked up to the motherboard using the 3 pin connectors. According to the BIOS and CPUID HW Monitor, all the fans are running at 200 RPM's or lower even under full Intel burn test load. The computer temperatures are fine, 30c at idle, 57c at max burn test. These fan speeds don't seem correct to me.

Anyone have any suggestions for what could be the problem? Is this just a glitch of some sort or are these speeds normal? I also had her hook one of the fans up with the 4 pin molex to test and she didn't seem to feel a difference when putting her hand near the fan.

Thanks for any help.

did you use three-pin fan connector with the adapter and connect it straight to the psu? does the fron fan glow blue? i think those 140mm fan are rated 1200rpm

I think it might just be a glitch.. I installed the Asus AI Suite II and all the fan speeds seem to be showing up correctly in there. Temps have been fine so I guess everything is working correctly.

Back