ASUS P8P67 series Double POST at Cold Boot Fix

OC_Seer

ASUS Power User Support
Some of you may have been experiencing a double POST on your P8P67 series motherboard whereupon after powering on the system from a cold boot, the board will power on and then immediately reset itself before it actually POSTs and shows any display on the screen. I’ll explain the fix below and give some information about why this happens.
First, I would like to stress the importance of flashing the BIOS to the latest BIOS revision as listed on our support website, http://support.asus.com/download. You can access the ASUS EZ Flash tool from within the UEFI (advanced options, tools) to flash the BIOS from any removable device such as a USB flash drive.

From time to time we needed to implement full resets in order to maintain stability due to the architecture of the Sandy Bridge platform. For instance, the system may require one full reset when the PCH power has been cut during S5 power state. To fix the most common additional reset (double POST when powering on from off state), enter UEFI BIOS -> go to ‘Advanced’ tab -> go down to ‘APM’, press Enter -> enable the “Power on by PCIe.” function. Then press F10 to save & exit. After save & exit, let the system boot into Windows or other OS, then perform a proper shutdown: Start button -> Shut down. You will no longer have the double POST. We will fix this in an upcoming BIOS release.

I tried it but still double posts from cold boot or a restart. Not a big deal really, I'm sure it will be addressed in the next bios release.

I've also had luck manually setting all of my DRAM timings and voltages. This helped so far in stopping the "Overclock Failed!" double boot issue.

After changing the Dram settings manually , the double boot problem is gone. The double boot problem is actually a minor problem, but the freeze problem is really annoying.

After changing the Dram settings manually , the double boot problem is gone. The double boot problem is actually a minor problem, but the freeze problem is really annoying.

Did you update to the 1253 BIOS (provided you have a Pro or Deluxe, the other board updates are coming shortly)? We also improved DRAM compatibility and clocking besides the double boot in this series, especially for users with either the GSkill or Cosair 4GB DIMMS.

thanks for the feedback from you guys. you should be using BIOS 1053 and keep an eye on our support website as a new BIOS that fixes a lot of issues that people are having will be posted very soon.

Hello, I updated my P8P67 Pro BIOS to 1253 and I still get the double boot (computer shuts off for a few seconds and starts up again) whether I shut down or restart Windows. Are there any settings I have to fix?

Thank you in advance.

This setting seemed to have fixed my double cold boot issue, but I decided to turn it back off and the double cold boot issue didn't come back.

I did do a complete CMOS reset including pulling the battery just before trying this and didn't test in between so I'm not exactly sure as to why the double cold boots went away, but hopefully they will stay away!

Did you update to the 1253 BIOS (provided you have a Pro or Deluxe, the other board updates are coming shortly)? We also improved DRAM compatibility and clocking besides the double boot in this series, especially for users with either the GSkill or Cosair 4GB DIMMS.

I can confirm that it hasn't been an issue for me personally since I flashed 1253 (on a Pro board), where it was guaranteed to happen on a cold boot prior to the flash.

Could someone please explain the procedure (or link to one) of updating the BIOS to 1253, im a bit of a noob..

Could someone please explain the procedure (or link to one) of updating the BIOS to 1253, im a bit of a noob..

Very very easy.

Get a blank USB, format it FAT32.

Make sure it is completely empty, download the newest bios from This thread

Place the file on your USB, boot into your BIOS (UEFI). There's an "EZ Flash" utility under 'tools' i believe. Run it, point it to your file, and BAM. It'll do it magically.

Please be sure to uncompress the downloaded file at the location given above.

first you will need a usb flash drive that you will download the 1253.ROM onto. (the filename might not be 1253, but whatever the file name is as long as it's a .ROM file that if for the P8P67 PRO)

then, you'll restart your system, press delete to enter BIOS setup, and make sure that you have the usb drive containing the .ROM file connected to one of your usb ports.

once you're in the BIOS, press Esc and then press down twice to enter the Advanced Mode.

in Advanced Mode, you can arrow over or use the mouse to click on the Tools tab, then click on ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility. on the left side of the EZ Flash 2 window you will see all of your connected drives including your usb flash drive.

select your usb flash drive and then it's contents will show up on the right side under Folder Info. then you'll just select the 1253.ROM file that you downloaded and press enter. it will ask if you want to read the file and you'll click yes, then it will ask if you want to update BIOS and you'll click yet. once it is finished it will tell you the update has completed and will prompt you to reset the system. your BIOS is now updated. :)

I see this is an old post but has any thing been improved with double (sometimes triple) boots on cold start up? My BIOS is flashed to 1503.

Thanks,

Edit: I found 1505 and loaded that. Still double boots.

Last edited:
I see this is an old post but has any thing been improved with double (sometimes triple) boots on cold start up? My BIOS is flashed to 1503.

Thanks,

Edit: I found 1505 and loaded that. Still double boots.

Mine does it about every 15 cold boots. 1305 B3. Did you try the PCIe trick in the first post?

Clearing the BIOS may help also.

I've been having this issue with my Sabertooth P67 system I just put together the other day. I'm a bit concerned because I sat on the parts for a few weeks, so I'm almost at my 30-day return limit with Microcenter.

Specs are:
ASUS Sabertooth P67
Intel i7-2600k
Corsair Vengeance 16gb DDR3-1600
2x Seagate 250GB in RAID0
XFX Radeon HD 5870

I went into the BIOS and manually set the RAM speed to 1600 but didn't mess with any other settings regarding speeds. Here's what all I had happen.

Configured RAID, started install of Win7 HP 64bit, all is well. Plug in ethernet cable and Win7 didn't detect any connection so I pop in the ASUS support DVD to install the LAN driver. System BSOD when I clicked on the pop-up to let the DVD auto-run. I think this is the first time I really noticed the double POST issue. After double POST, it boots into Windows fine, and I'm able to run the DVD perfectly fine and install the driver. After downloading several Windows Updates, I decided to shut down to run Memtest86+ to double-check the RAM. This time, it BSOD during the shut down process as it rebooted instead and asked me if I wanted to boot Windows normally.

I haven't had any real issues since. All the RAM tested out fine, I still get double POST every single time the PC reboots/cold boots. I've even tried the work-around mentioned by ASUS to go into the Advanced menu in BIOS and enable 'Power on PCIe'.

Is this a major issue to where I should worry about exchanging/returning the board?

i have a P8P67 too with the 1401 bios my build is stable but it still double boots, am starting to think this might be an Asus issue

I haven't had any double boots since I went in and set all of the memory timings, like 1600-8-8-8-24.

i have a P8P67 too with the 1401 bios my build is stable but it still double boots, am starting to think this might be an Asus issue

Yeah I'm running the Sabertooth with the 1305 BIOS (shipped with it). I'm tempted to flash the new 1502, but there's no release notes for it anywhere to see if it'll actually help. I'm going to follow CarbonJoe's advice and try setting all the actual timings manually.

just curious, to rule out mem as factor for double booting, could someone with prob try single stick of 1.5v ram in A2 slot, set at 1066

So is anyone else getting the power off and double post? for me it started again when i flashed to the latest BIOS, so there has to be some stetting in the BIOS that stops the double posting because i remember doing something before and it stopped.

Any luck?

I have double post issue with Asus P8P67 Evo B3 rev bios 1502 I got 2 weeks ago
using 2x CMX4GX3M2A1600C7 sticks running either XMP or manual timings (no difference)

every time I turn of computer in the evening when I try to power it in the morning it does this double post routine

my B2 board using 1204 bios and same ram, cpu etc. had different issue
whenever I unplugged power cord form the PSU board couldn't post at all for 2-3 times, and when it finally post I had to enter bios and save settings again
but it never suffered from double post my new board does

both times I was using PCIe trick, and/or manual memory timings
for me what I have now it's way less annoying than previous issue, but still I wonder if there'll be a fix for it

I have the double boot problem fixed. I updated to BIOS 1505 and pressed the CMOS reset button in the back of the motherboard for five seconds. I had to re-enter all my BIOS settings but the double boot is gone! I'ts so much nicer.

I have the double boot problem fixed. I updated to BIOS 1505 and pressed the CMOS reset button in the back of the motherboard for five seconds. I had to re-enter all my BIOS settings but the double boot is gone! I'ts so much nicer.

I have had the double post issue as far back as my Giga P965, then the DFI P35 Lan Party, then the P45 Gigabyte, and now the ASUS P67 Deluxe. Never bothered me one bit - no biggie. Tried all the usual P67 solutions that worked for others, no luck. However, just saw a post about another mobo on another forum and the guy said he had the "spread spectrum" on auto in his bios, and when he set it to enabled, it didnt double boot anymore. Hmmmm.
So I rebooted to bios and set it to "enabled", and what the hell, no more double booting!!!!
As I recall I always disabled spread spectrum, so that must have been it all along.
How about that!!

Last edited:
Hello!

The dual POST issue described above sounds similar to what i have, however the last time i reset the BIOS using the jumper now the board wont fully restart at all.
It powers up (fans running) for about 2 seconds then shuts down, Then a couple fo seconds later there is a flicker of power and it shuts down completely.

Odd thing on top of that, pressing the power button does nothing. holding the power button down for several seconds, and then pressing it again restarts the whole sequence above.

Any idea how to break it out of this cycle and get into BIOS?

ASUS P8P67 PRO rev.3

Thanks in advance

I have installed 16 GB of corsair vengenance DDR3-1600 memory that has the intel XMP (extreme memory profile) support feature on a P8P67 Pro with original 1502 bios. I eliminated the "double boot" by by simply going to the--- bios advanced mode--> Ai Tweaker-->Ai overclock Tweaker (has 3 settings, auto, manual, XMP) and set it to XMP--> F10 to save changes. Since no OP system is installed yet, I did a hard shut down and power on, no more double boot, but problem will return if you switch back to the auto, or manual mode. :confused: I am having a brain freeze on where to find bios up dates for this board, could some one point me to one, could not find on the asus site.

Thank you
Ron

I have installed 16 GB of corsair vengenance DDR3-1600 memory that has the intel XMP (extreme memory profile) support feature on a P8P67 Pro with original 1502 bios. I eliminated the "double boot" by by simply going to the--- bios advanced mode--> Ai Tweaker-->Ai overclock Tweaker (has 3 settings, auto, manual, XMP) and set it to XMP--> F10 to save changes. Since no OP system is installed yet, I did a hard shut down and power on, no more double boot, but problem will return if you switch back to the auto, or manual mode. :confused: I am having a brain freeze on where to find bios up dates for this board, could some one point me to one, could not find on the asus site.

Thank you
Ron

1850 is the latest. All for the pro can be found here.

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8P67_PRO/

1850 is the latest. All for the pro can be found here.

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8P67_PRO/

Do you happen to know what "Improve system stability" means in BIOS 1850?

Does it by any chance fix the cold boot issues?

I built a system for a friend recently with a P8P67, and it's suffering cold boot issues. Switch on in the morning and it will often freeze during Windows loading. A reset will usually result it booting fine second time around.

I'm having this problem. Using the latest BIOS (1850) and it's still happening. I've tried everything in this thread, but nothing has fixed it.

When I turn my machine on the fans start up for a few seconds and the power light goes on. Then it all switches off, and then it starts up again. Normally the second time there is a beep and the machine boots. Sometimes it happens more than twice.

The double post is eaxactly that - a reset because something is not standard, or useable as is.
Some things to think about:

Spread spectrum enabled - not auto or disabled, especially with wireless stuff like routers. Test your wireless devices by unplugging and see if still double posts.

You must manually set BCLK to 100.0, not leave at 103 or 103.5

AI Suite II can cause this sometimes - it sets voltages way too high.

badly configured extreme overclocks can do this ~ 4.8, 4.9GHz +

Getting the O/C failed message, your double boot is your system reseting RAM settings because it doesn't like something

DIGI+ VRM Load-line Calibration to Medium
DIGI+ VRM Phase Control to Medium
DIGI+ VRM Duty Control to T. Probe
DIGI+ VRM Frequency to VRM Frequency Mode, 350 Khz (I believe this makes the difference)

Disabled PLL Overvoltage and it can stop double posting.

You have to go in and turn off all of the option-roms for the onboard controllers, then go into the advanced options, under boot tab, "Option Rom Message" set to 'keep current', so that it shows you the post data. Also disable any controller not in actual use It will look for something on JMircon (etc.), not find it, repost.

Do you happen to know what "Improve system stability" means in BIOS 1850?

Does it by any chance fix the cold boot issues?

I built a system for a friend recently with a P8P67, and it's suffering cold boot issues. Switch on in the morning and it will often freeze during Windows loading. A reset will usually result it booting fine second time around.

Have seen this before on other forums
Warm boot works, cold boot doesnt
What is your PSU?
To me, i would first look at the PSU. The +5VSB (voltage standby) may not reach full voltage quick enough. After a charge is sent to caps, second try works.
At the very least I would try a dif brand PSU
Had this prob with the otherwise fine Corsairs on the DFI P35's

Spread spectrum enabled - not auto or disabled, especially with wireless stuff like routers. Test your wireless devices by unplugging and see if still double posts.

I don't understand what this has to do with wireless stuff. The PC is connected to a wireless router, but through ethernet, not through wifi.

I've tried changing this through the AI Suite software, but when I restart it always goes back to 103.

@psyk

Look, you came to this forum obviously for your singular prob
So, you yourself dont have the solution to the issue: in other words you are STUMPED.
Then you argue with me and also ask me to justify WHY the tips would work, because it doesnt fit into your preconceived ideas of what should/shouldnt work, because it doesnt "compute" in your mind.
All the tips I posted came from people who solved their double post issues successfully. I saved you the trouble of doing a lot of searching, both here and on Google.

Did it ever occur to you to unplug the friggin' router and see what happens. How much effort will that be? Or you just will sit there with your arms crossed and say give me a good scientific rationale?

O.K. Try this on - having a wireless router (depending on model/brand) is like having a cell phone tower right next to your PC.

QUOTE:
I don't have any adjacent cell towers, but I do live in an urban condominium here in Charlotte. Then I had the idea that if radio signals can cause this issue, perhaps my wireless router was to blame. So I unplugged my router -- and the double POSTing stopped.

Then I plugged my router back in.

The double POSTING didn't start again, at least until the next day when I unplugged my cables to move the rig to a table to make some cable routing adjustments. After plugging the power cable back in and booting it up, the double posting occurred again, prompting me to disable the wireless router for a few minutes.
UNQUOTE

As far as AI Suite, its nice to look at, has some nice utilities, and has some nice easy overclocking options. I personally consider it way too agressive for 24/7 stability. Big overclocks make for good marketing. So you make the decision, its yours to make, not mine. Uninstall it to see if it stops the double booting, or live with the dual booting.

(Now watch - right back into arguing mode)

And to other more accepting folks, yet another tip is to def use XMP mem profile if your RAM has it. Look in CPUID 1.57 or higher on SPD tab (Serial presence Detect)

@psyk

Look, you came to this forum obviously for your singular prob
So, you yourself dont have the solution to the issue: in other words you are STUMPED.
Then you argue with me and also ask me to justify WHY the tips would work, because it doesnt fit into your preconceived ideas of what should/shouldnt work, because it doesnt "compute" in your mind.

All the tips I posted came from people who solved their double post issues successfully. I saved you the trouble of doing a lot of searching, both here and on Google.

Did it ever occur to you to unplug the friggin' router and see what happens. How much effort will that be? Or you just will sit there with your arms crossed and say give me a good scientific rationale?

O.K. Try this on - having a wireless router (depending on model/brand) is like having a cell phone tower right next to your PC.

QUOTE:
I don't have any adjacent cell towers, but I do live in an urban condominium here in Charlotte. Then I had the idea that if radio signals can cause this issue, perhaps my wireless router was to blame. So I unplugged my router -- and the double POSTing stopped.

Then I plugged my router back in.

The double POSTING didn't start again, at least until the next day when I unplugged my cables to move the rig to a table to make some cable routing adjustments. After plugging the power cable back in and booting it up, the double posting occurred again, prompting me to disable the wireless router for a few minutes.
UNQUOTE

As far as AI Suite, its nice to look at, has some nice utilities, and has some nice easy overclocking options. I personally consider it way too agressive for 24/7 stability. Big overclocks make for good marketing. So you make the decision, its yours to make, not mine. Uninstall it to see if it stops the double booting, or live with the dual booting.

(Now watch - right back into arguing mode)

And to other more accepting folks, yet another tip is to def use XMP mem profile if your RAM has it. Look in CPUID 1.57 or higher on SPD tab (Serial presence Detect)

I'm sorry that you misinterpreted my post. I wasn't arguing, I was just asking. If it does work I'd like to know why it works, so I can learn something from it. I know tone can be difficult to determine when communicating through text, but surely it's easier to give someone the benefit of the doubt than to post a massive rant about it.

And I did google it. That's how I found this thread. But I still couldn't fix my problem so I thought I'd ask for help from people who know more about it. I'll try all your suggestions.

The double post is eaxactly that - a reset because something is not standard, or useable as is.
Some things to think about:

AI Suite II can cause this sometimes - it sets voltages way too high.

badly configured extreme overclocks can do this ~ 4.8, 4.9GHz +

Getting the O/C failed message, your double boot is your system reseting RAM settings because it doesn't like something

DIGI+ VRM Load-line Calibration to Medium
DIGI+ VRM Phase Control to Medium
DIGI+ VRM Duty Control to T. Probe
DIGI+ VRM Frequency to VRM Frequency Mode, 350 Khz (I believe this makes the difference)

Disabled PLL Overvoltage and it can stop double posting.

You have to go in and turn off all of the option-roms for the onboard controllers, then go into the advanced options, under boot tab, "Option Rom Message" set to 'keep current', so that it shows you the post data. Also disable any controller not in actual use It will look for something on JMircon (etc.), not find it, repost.

The bit in bold seems to have fixed it. Although I still had problems with the frequency at 350KHz, so I set it to 300KHz. Is that sensible?

I tried unplugging the router, but that didn't seem to make any difference. However if it happens again the next thing I will try is unplugging my wireless mouse and keyboard (sorry I forgot to mention that before). It's a Microsoft set which is known not to work properly in the BIOS setup (mouse always pulls to the right and it seems to randomly press buttons by itself, made it quite difficult changing those options).

Thanks for your help.

Back