The NVIDIA GPU Litigation

HardOCP News

[H] News
The NVIDIA GPU Litigation page is finally taking claims from people affected by the company's faulty laptop GPUs. The courts have approved the settlement and you have from now until March 14, 2011 to get your claim in.

The lawsuit alleged that some of NVIDIA Graphics Processing Units (“GPUs”) and Media and Communications Processors (“MCPs”) contained a defect that affected the performance of some of the notebook computers in which they were incorporated. NVIDIA denies all allegations of wrongdoing and has asserted many defenses. The settlement is not an admission of wrongdoing.

About stinkin time. I absolutely hated my HP dv9000. It was like holding a damn Hot Pocket that was left in the microwave too long. RMA'd 3 times for various heat related issues.

Does this cover desktop models? Charlie said all those are bad too. And Charlie is never wrong. Never. Nope.

I posted about this very same page in the thread for fixing DV9000s by baking.

That was a couple months ago at least.

About stinkin time. I absolutely hated my HP dv9000. It was like holding a damn Hot Pocket that was left in the microwave too long. RMA'd 3 times for various heat related issues.

did you see the replacement though, what a kick in the nuts for those of us who had the all bells and whistles version of the dv9000.

i'm gonna contact them about getting a 17" replacement. I have too many 15's already.

I had one of the affected models (Dell E1705 reprezent!) and it did fail, but it was early, before it was recognized as a widespread issue. Dell's tech support didn't understand the issue and eventually wormed their way out of supporting it (claimed I voided the warranty by replacing the hard drive). I ended up replacing the failed GPU myself and the laptop has long been sold. I am told it's still running fine.

It's nice they are accepting claims, but I hope they don't expect some physical evidence of ownership. Who still has a laptop from 2006, much less one that broke?

I thought my wife's Inspiron was affected, but nope. Blue screens are related to something entirely different, it seems.

What are the affected GPUs?

What can I do if I have a laptop with the affected GPU but it's not on the list?

If it's not on the list it doesn't count, I would think.

My XPS m1530 had the defect, but because it was purchased outside the eligibility window I'm not covered. Dell did replace the GPU under warranty though (since it started acting up, running slow, etc.)

What can I do if I have a laptop with the affected GPU but it's not on the list?
What if I draw an nvidia logo on a stray cat? It's not on the list either. :p

How do you know it's an affected GPU? Did you open up the case and look at the lot code/date code? The problem was fixed in mid-2008.

LOL @ dell for using old stock up to the beginning of 2010 on a couple of models.

did you see the replacement though, what a kick in the nuts for those of us who had the all bells and whistles version of the dv9000.

i'm gonna contact them about getting a 17" replacement. I have too many 15's already.

Compaq Presario CQ50? are you kidding me? It's a friggin huge downgrade from what I have. Screw HP.

I have the mcp79 in my laptop, with integrated geforce 8200.

i hope nvidia got their shit together, and my laptop does not die because of them.

I must have gotten lucky i bought a 2nd hand laptop for like 200 that had one of those defective craps, they use thermal pads and an anemic cooler to keep the gpu cool. No shit they are going to over heat dell... Thankfully just adding some copper and high end thermal paste did the job keeps my laptop under 80 even at extended loads.

And if the thing breaks down in the next 3 years well 200 for the laptop 200 for new cpu 50 for thermal paste and copper 80 for new ram and 50 for new hdd and 5 bucks for toothpaste to clean the screen. I think my 585 bucks did just fine. If the guy wasn't shitting bricks due to those problems i wouldn't have gotten a cheap good laptop lol.

M-I-L has an HP DV9030us Intel model with 7600Go. It's not covered but has the problem. It has been torn apart and baked 3 times. Just not sure how long the baking will last.

I still have an old busted Dell laptop from 2007 that is eligible, but the records of purchase are long gone (I really need to practice better record-keeping). Dell doesn't keep track of orders beyond 2 years ago either. I could call up the settlement web site to see what I can do. I still have some other things that can prove I purchased it, such as the laptop being registered to my Dell account and the shipping box sitting in the garage.

It is a fucking disaster that this isn't open to the people in the rest of the world who were hit by this. Maybe we should go dial up the bints in Brussels?

I have a number of the Dell D820's and D830's, that had the video cards replace when they where 2 to 2.5 years old, lucky they where still under the 3 year warranty.
I also have an XPS M1710 that we haven't fixed because the video card was dead.

The big problem with this settlement, is that it only covers computers that have already failed (or will fail before March 14th). I know that Dell put in the same refurbed video cards when they repaired the existing laptops, so many of them will fail again in the next year or 2, and I'll be out of luck. :(

Since the problem is heat related, maybe I just need to run some video benchmarks overnight to force a failer :)

Looks like this will only help me with the M1710 (assuming the date falls within the correct range)

I've got a Vostro 1500 sitting in my office, which is exactly like the 1510....except it isn't covered. Hooray for the settlement!

I still have an old busted Dell laptop from 2007 that is eligible, but the records of purchase are long gone (I really need to practice better record-keeping). Dell doesn't keep track of orders beyond 2 years ago either. I could call up the settlement web site to see what I can do. I still have some other things that can prove I purchased it, such as the laptop being registered to my Dell account and the shipping box sitting in the garage.

Check the Dell claim form. If you don't have the recipt, you can submit product ID number and the date you purchased it. You can get the date by looking up the warranty information on Dell web site.

I have the same problem. I don't have my receipt for my M1210 anymore, or the shipping box. It is listed in "my systems" though which includes the build sheet and date it was built. I'm betting I'm SOL though.

What happens if you have receipts and stuff but you "lost" or "trashed" your hp dv9000?

I checked the warranty info on Dell's site, it shows the ship date, not the purchase date.

Should be close enough. Shouldn't be more than a couple weeks between order/ship dates.
They just ask for about when it was purchased.

Alright, I'll give it a try, worst they can do is send me a bill and I tell them to keep it. lol

wonder if i sent in the cvost of a new laptop as a reimbursement claim if they'd go for it.

What happens if you have receipts and stuff but you "lost" or "trashed" your hp dv9000?

You get with someone who has a laptop but no proof. Then once you get a replacement laptop, you can share it 3 days each. Then on the 7th day, it will sit in a storage closet that you both rent out for $50 per month. You each will have a key to said closet.

I'm not sure it was this particular lawsuit or not but we had customers at the shop who's computer got super hot and kept burning up hard drives and they filed and got there laptop replaced and $2000 cash

My Dell warranty covered the repair of my 1420 in July/August this year, otherwise I'd be a class member with a new laptop and looking to get my old one revived.

I can vouch for the obscenely hot temps though - I saw my GPU hit 96C once and it often hurt my hands to type on my keyboard when in full power mode.

this laptop fiasco is my main reason for NOT getting anything from nvidia again. Mailed my laptop in 4 times, had battery exchanged twice.. and it died 4 weeks after warranty expired. I'm in canada so we got nothing.

FUUUUU

My exact model number isn't on the list. DV9260nr p/n RP250UA
I sent this thing back 4 times and even tried to do that reflow fix.

My guess is their lawyers were able to persuade some of the models to be taken off?

Whatever the case, don't buy HP.

Filed a claim on my E1705 the first day (1/13). The only proof of purchase I had was the original email invoice from Dell. Hope that works! I'll post a follow up once I find out.

I have a Dell M1330 (still a nice laptop) that I got in Nov 2007. Although Dell doesn't keep receipts online for more than 2 years ago, I just did the online Dell chat and had them email me my receipt within 10 min.

Claim filed.

Not sure why my Asus G1-A1 isn't listed. It suffered from a faulty 8600m GT with the faster RAM.

Back