How can I find out Profile of H264 in MKV?

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
I was looking at Media playback device and in the comments someone said it only works with Profile 4.1 and under.

How can I tell, is there a program that displays this info?

If you're using MPC-HC, right click on the video when it's playing (or paused), and do right-click - Properties (or you can do it from File - Properties also). Looks like this (as it has MediaInfo internally):

mediainfo.png

Provides pretty much everything you're interested in knowing about a given file.

If you're using MPC-HC, right click on the video when it's playing (or paused), and do right-click - Properties (or you can do it from File - Properties also). Looks like this (as it has MediaInfo internally):

Provides pretty much everything you're interested in knowing about a given file.

Odd. I am using MPC-HC as my main player, but I only get the first two tabs, not the mediaInfo tab.

But I have mediainfo downloaded now and can check the files with that.

Edit: I had an old version. It seemed like they were never updating MPC-HC so I stopped checking. Updated now.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Are you using MPC-HC from the SourceForge distribution point (http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/) because if you are, that could be why. That distribution is typically kinda far behind the more up-to-date development on the "nightly" builds (they're not quite that frequent but definitely far more current) at http://xvidvideo.ru - now before you freak the hell out because it's a Russian domain, let me say this:

I've been pulling builds of MPC-HC - both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions - from that website for well over a year now, and they've never ever been infected, they always work great, and again they are updated very frequently.

That could be the reason you're not seeing the MediaInfo tab as the two websites do development of MPC-HC in different paths. The latest one from the "official" SourceForge website is from way back in September 2010, whereas the one I'm running was just updated yesterday, January 13th, 2011. Here's the Help -About info for my build:

mpchcc.png

Note that they even list the "official" website URL there on that dialogue, but that website is just so far behind the times with build updates. I've never been able to figure that out...

One last thing: if you choose those builds you'll need to ensure you have DirectX fully updated as those versions do make extensive use of the DirectX runtimes and libraries - it'll even complain if you run it on a machine where DirectX is behind and prompt you to get the latest runtime installer.

It's worth checking out, I suppose. I grab all my updates from that site, never had a problem, I keep MSE updated daily, Firefox/NoScript/etc, my machine stays clean. ;)

Yeah I get them from sourceforge. As mentioned in my edit above, I updated, my version isn't as leading edge as yours, but mediainfo works now.

Unless there is some other critical new feature, I will stick with the soruceforge builds.

Back