Active Single Link DP-DVI cables. What Works - What to Avoid?

Tisca

Limp Gawd
I was about to place an order for a Sapphire 6950 when I realized I needed a mini DP to DVI adapter cable. AMD has their list of Validated Adapters which has only 3 approved listed of which none can be found anywhere conveniently near (Finland).

• How do you identify a working cable when shops rarely mention if they're active? I assume it's the expensive ones.
  • Has anyone successfully used some off-brand cables?

I've read reports of some working for some and other for others, accurate like lottery. The Apple adapter is relatively cheap (and active) but it doesn't seem to work for people. Is it a matter of getting enough juice for the particular monitor you're using + maybe cable lenghts and such?

Cheapest MINI DP - DVI I could find was over 50€. A normal DP-DVI can be found under 30€. Maybe if I could find a cheap MINI DP - DP and add an active single link DP-DVI it would be cheaper. Frustrating. Looks like all the 6950s use MINI DP ports.

I've used the Accell DP-Single Link DVI Active adapter with a 5870, and the Accell MiniDP-Single Link DVI Active adapter with a 6970. Both working flawlessly, and got each for under $40 CAD.

They are listed as Eyefinity validated on the AMD list also.

Maybe you can ask a local parts shop to get them in for you, if they have a European distributor.

Beyond high failure rates, I believe the issue is with the monitor, not so much the adapter itself.

If it doesn't understand the EDID then it can go FUBAR and not allow you to use bezel compensation or get the resolution wrong (or intermittently wrong I suppose depending on wakeup issues and the like).

Thx!
The Sapphire card comes with a miniDP-DP so a DP-DVI adapter would be enough BUT I keep reading that linking that many cables causes flickering for some. Maybe a mini DP - DVI would be safer, price and availability is another matter.

Found a Sapphire 44000-02-40R adapter but out of stock and it could be easily a month in waiting time.

The miniDP to DVI active adapters are the same price as the DP to DVI active adapters. I see no reason to introduce another failure point into the system unless you happen to have a DP to DVI active adapter laying around.
Otherwise, go with the miniDP to DVI active and save yourself the trouble.

I am using the Accel miniDP adapter...works great!

Got it up n running:

Sapphire 6950 ->
mini DP to DP cable (incl. w/ card) ->
Sapphire's [44000-02-40R] active single link adapter (~30 €) ->
DVI-D single link cable (standard DVI cable) ->
into monitor

Back