Asus P8P67 Pro Boot Issues

BassDX

Limp Gawd
Well, I think this might have been posted already, but I haven't gotten a definitive answer so I will describe my problem in detail.

As the title says, my P8P67 Pro is giving me some bizarre boot issues. After turning off my computer for the first time and turning it back on the next day, and then it wouldn't boot. My monitor would detect a connection but then go into sleep mode. I had to then turn my computer on and off a few times and finally got it to turn on. I then received an "Overclock Failed" message (even though I didn't overclock anything yet at this point) and then the system proceeded to boot normally. When researching this issue myself it seemed to be a memory issue, because my 1600 MHz memory gets detected as 1333 MHz (with correct timings). I then tried clocking it to 1600 MHz as well as changing the voltage but it didn't work consistently. Sometimes it would boot normally but other times (particularly when I moved my computer around to access the rear ports), it still experienced this issue. Hell, my computer once reset itself outright when I attempted to move it while it was on.

Now, I updated my BIOS to 1003 and the issue is slightly different. I haven't experienced the above issue, but now every time I turn my computer on, the fans spin up for a second, then it turns off. Then in a few seconds it turns itself on, with the CPU and DRAM LEDs flashing red for a split second and then booting normally. In every one of these instances, my computer has been stable, it only seems to be an issue with cold boots.

So are there any suggestions? It is a shame that I am having these issues because my CPU and SSD have been performing admirably so far.

I have the same "double boot" on my P8P67 Pro and I think I've seen similar reports from other people. I don't think its anything to worry about though. The P35 chipset was notorious for the same thing. Re: the memory, I believe you do have to manually set it. My DDR3 1600 came up as 1033 (or 1333 I don't recall) when I didn't manually set it.

It does sound like you might have a short somewhere though. Moving a PC when its on shouldn't cause it to reboot and might explain the weird overclock failed message.

This is my first time building, so are you able to help me figure out how to fix a short on a motherboard? If this is one of the causes, then I would want to look into this ASAP.

I should also mention that like everyone else, I had a very hard time fitting my heatsink into the mounting holes on the motherboard, and when I installed it into the case, touching it ever so slightly causes the annoying squeaky/grinding noise.

Edit: Additionally, the shut down only occurred while I was trying to plug something into the back of the case. I am not sure if it was simply moving the PC while it was on as I have done it several times before, in this particular instance it could have happened the moment I plugged something into the rear panel. All the other incidents occurred when I simply cold booted the computer.

I have the "double boot" ... in fact I'm pretty sure I've had that on various boards for years. It has to do with the electronic switch rather than the physical switch. I wouldn't worry about that. I have an Asus P8P67 PRO and mine does that too.

When the system POSTs, the warning LEDs will flash, but will not stay on. You only have a problem if any of the red LEDs STAY on. If they flash and go away, you're good to go.

Might check your BIOS settings if you can get to them.

Disregard old link.

Last edited:
I have this EXACT same issue that the OP is describing but I have it even with the new BIOS. Incredibly annoying.

I'm about to build test my P8P67 Pro setup in an hour or so.

However, my current P5b-Deluxe board s775 does the same thing once in awhile. It's done this for years, haven't had any problems.

I had the double cold boot issue as well with my 1600 ram getting detected as 1033. Kept it as 1033 as 1600 gives me overclock failure during cold boots. I did the cmos reset that was suggested in another thread and it worked for me. i don't have any double boot anymore and i'm at 1600 consistently now! Had to undervolt to 1.55v for my ram though, but works perfectly.

I had the double cold boot issue as well with my 1600 ram getting detected as 1033. Kept it as 1033 as 1600 gives me overclock failure during cold boots. I did the cmos reset that was suggested in another thread and it worked for me. i don't have any double boot anymore and i'm at 1600 consistently now! Had to undervolt to 1.55v for my ram though, but works perfectly.

You decreased the ram voltage to get it stable? What memory?

You decreased the ram voltage to get it stable? What memory?

I'm actually not sure if it's clearing the cmos, undervolting the ram or the combination of both that did the trick. I'm using Corsair XMS3 2x4gb sticks (CMX8GX3M2A1600C9) at 1.55V.

I did my first Intel build in over 10 years last night. Got a good deal on a 2500K and P8P67 Pro at Microcenter (both for $300). I flashed the mb to the beta 1053 bios right at the start and everything went well. Only issue is the weird "double boot" issue. System powers up then powers down and then powers back up again for good. Other then that everything runs fine- memory is running at spec at 1333. I did move the jumper and clear the rtm bios but it didn't correct the double boot issue. I'm hoping a new bios will come out shortly to fix this.

I have the same double boot "issue", but otherwise fine. I wanted to check out the forums to see if anyone else was having this problem, before I started tweaking the board settings. I flashed to the newest bios, and did not fix the problem.

This seems to be the solution for now.

It's hard to believe that ASUS can't duplicate this problem and produce a working BIOS considering that it seems to be affecting so many.

This problem resolved itself for me when I moved my Crucial REALSSD over to my SATA6 port from SATA3, and double boot problem was gone. SATA config is the following:

All Intel controller
SATA6: 2TB Barracuda XT
SATA6: 256GB Crucial RealSSD
SATA3: LG Blu-Ray

If it reappears I will post back on here. But I did several cold boots and had no problems whatsoever.

Having the same dram issue since a couple days ago. Before that it had never once given me this problem for probably 6 days, then bam, starts happening. I'll try to set the memory to 1333 and see if this fixes anything, but I doubt it will. Running my vengeance 2x4gb at 1.5v rated specs.

The computer will start up then the dram led will stay lit and the computer will just sit. I hold the power button on to shut it down the power it back up to get an oc failed error, then it boots fine, which is extremely odd.

I have an odd bug in 1053 and 1253 with the cpu fan monitor option. I set it to ignore because I don't use a cpu fan, and when it reboots I get a warning about the fan not being active, so I have to set it to standard, and ignore the rpm's.

Back