Which modern motherboard has the most (or ALOT) of SATA ports?

duckdown

n00b
Hey folks, as per the message, I'm thinking of using a modern motherboard for an unRAID home server build. The machine will have many 2tb hard disks so having alot of SATA ports on the motherboard itself is a MUST.. I know I will need additional 4port SATA cards as well but as many as possible on the board itself makes things much cheaper for me in the end run.

I know I've had motherboards in the past 5 years with up to 6 ports, do any come with more? I'm not sure how much technology has changed since my last build many years ago.

Thanks in advance guys!

I think most boards now have 6-8. As I recall there were a couple boards that had more. The Maximus III Formula had 10 I believe.

The most i've seen on a board marketed as a desktop board is 8 internal plus two external.

You can get boards with a lot more by going to a server boards vendor. For example the X8SI6-F from supermicro has 6 sata and 8 SAS (sas controllers can be used with SATA drives). It also has niceities like remote management with KVM over IP support. It's kinda pricey though.

Back