Intel's P67 and H67 motherboard lineup

evilsofa

[H]F Junkie
Here's Intel's initial lineup of seven LGA 1155 motherboards - three P67 and four H67, all released on Sunday, January 9:

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboard/index.htm

Here's my notes on what makes them different from each other (prices are newegg prices on launch day January 9, not including $8 shipping):

H67 series - integrated video, no K series CPU overclocking
DH67BL - $100, microATX, one PCIe x16 Gen 2.x slot, DVI, HDMI
DH67CF - $125, mini-ITX, one PCIe x16 Gen 2.x slot, Firewire, DVI, HDMI, Displayport
DH67CL - $105, ATX, one PCIe x16 Gen 2.x slot, DVI, HDMI, LVDS
DH67GD - $105, microATX, one PCIe x16 Gen 2.x slot, Firewire, DVI, HDMI, Displayport

P67 series - K series CPU overclocking, no integrated video
DP67BA - $117, ATX, one PCIe x16 Gen 2.x slot, Firewire
DP67BG - $180, ATX, two PCIe Gen 2.x slots (one x16, or two x8 SLI or Crossfire), Firewire
DP67DE - $115, microATX, one PCIe x16 Gen 2.x slot, Firewire
WARNING: only the DP67BG can be permanently overclocked. The DP67DE and DP67BA will only hold an overclock for several minutes before they are throttled back down to x33; this behavior is by Intel's design and cannot be altered by the user.

They all have: two USB 3.0 ports; two SATA 6.0 ports; one eSATA port; the same audio, LAN and RAID stuff; and various amounts of USB 2.0 and SATA ports. All three P67 boards have Firewire, and two of the four H67 boards have Firewire.

Intel is using UEFI with these motherboards instead of BIOS, so among some other things, they natively support hard drives larger than 2.2TB. They didn't use fancy graphics, so the UEFI looks just like the old BIOS.

RAM slots are all the same (four slots specced for DDR3 up to 1333Mhz) except the DP67BG which is four slots specced for up to 1600MHz DDR3.

One review of the DP67BG remarks that the PCI-E layout is particularly good: "You can use two double-width video cards and still have one PCI slot and two PCIe x1 slots available."

The HD67CL has an LVDS connector.

None of the seven boards have a PS/2 connector, so if you have a PS/2 keyboard or mouse, you'll need to use a PS/2->USB adapter.

Reviews:
The mobo that will interest most people here is the DP67BG, the only one good for SLI or Crossfire. Here's Techreport's review. Here's funkyit's review. Here's bjorn3d's review - they got a 2600K up to 4.8GHz at stock voltages (nice engineering sample there).

The DH67CF seems to be getting some attention in the mini-ITX gaming community with a mini-review here.
Review of the DH67BL here by funkyit.

Major edit: the DP67DE has a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot, not a PCI-E 1.x slot as I listed previously. Apologies for the error.
Edit: All three P67 boards have Firewire.

Last edited:
If you happen upon a qualified memory module list please post it. I haven't come up with anything besides seeing ram used in reviews.

Looking at getting the DP67BG, I had a BadAxe2 and that ranks up pretty high with my all-time fav motherboards...so hoping the Burrage will be cool board too.

Here's what appears to be Intel's lineup of seven LGA 1155 motherboards - three P67 and four H67, all due to be released on Sunday, January 9:

http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=50098,50092,50101,50095,50086,50244,50089,

Here's my notes on what makes them different from each other:

H67 series - integrated video, no K series CPU overclocking
DH67BL - microATX, one PCIe x16 Gen 2.x slot, DVI, HDMI
DH67CF - mini-ITX, one PCIe x16 Gen 2.x slot, Firewire, DVI, HDMI, Displayport
DH67CL - ATX, one PCIe x16 Gen 2.x slot, DVI, HDMI
DH67GD - microATX, one PCIe x16 Gen 2.x slot, Firewire, DVI, HDMI, Displayport

P67 series - K series CPU overclocking, no integrated video
DP67BA - ATX, one PCIe x16 Gen 2.x slot
DP67BG - ATX, two PCIe Gen 2.x slots (one x16, or two x8 SLI or Crossfire)
DP67DE - microATX, one PCIe x16 Gen 1.x slot, Firewire

They all have: two USB 3.0 ports; two SATA 6.0 ports; one eSATA port; the same audio, LAN and RAID stuff; and various amounts of USB 2.0 and SATA ports. I noted the three motherboards that have Firewire above, which is perhaps the only major difference in ports. The DP67DE has a PCI-E 1.x slot while all the others have 2.x.

RAM slots are all the same (four slots specced for DDR3 up to 1333Mhz) except the DP67BG which is four slots specced for up to 1600MHz DDR3.

One review of the DP67BG remarks that the PCI-E layout is particularly good: "You can use two double-width video cards and still have one PCI slot and two PCIe x1 slots available."

Even though the initial Sandy Bridge chipsets do not natively support USB 3.0, it is nice for Intel to include a third-party USB 3.0 controller on its newest LGA 1155 "Desktop Boards".

Even though the initial Sandy Bridge chipsets do not natively support USB 3.0, it is nice for Intel to include a third-party USB 3.0 controller on its newest LGA 1155 "Desktop Boards".

I find it funny that they don't believe in USB 3.0 enough to put it in the chipset, but then they go and add an aftermarket solution to their own-branded motherboards. Right-hand, meet left-hand.

I find it funny that they don't believe in USB 3.0 enough to put it in the chipset, but then they go and add an aftermarket solution to their own-branded motherboards. Right-hand, meet left-hand.

it's a little different adding a chip on the board then developing the chipset to support it. Although it is a little funny.

All seven motherboards are up on newegg. I have updated original post with links and prices not including $8 shipping.

I ordered a DP67BA because they were identical except for the PCIe slots and additional SATA controller. I guess I'll find out if it also supports 1600Mhz DDR3 or not. :/

The Intel spec page which lists the DP67DE as having a PCI-E 1.x slot, here, seems to be in error.

I noticed that newegg is listing the DP67DE has having a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot, and that another of Intel's spec pages list it as a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot, here. Furthermore, an Intel product brief also shows it as a PCI-E 2.0 slot.

I apologize for the error, and have corrected it in my original post.

So now I'm agonizing between the DP67DE and the DP67BA. Both are almost the same price ($2 difference on newegg). As far as I can tell, the only thing the DE sacrifices for its microATX size is two PCI slots. Intel's pictures of the two motherboards make it apparent that the BA doesn't do much with its extra length:

DP67DE microATX picture
DP67BA ATX picture

If I have no interest whatsoever in two more PCI slots, then I should just get the DP67DE, right?

Last edited:
I ordered a DP67BA because they were identical except for the PCIe slots and additional SATA controller. I guess I'll find out if it also supports 1600Mhz DDR3 or not. :/

The biggest difference is that the DP67BA supports only one PCIe graphics card (and is thus limited to single graphics card or "single-GPU" use) - but it has three PCI-Legacy slots (instead of the two PCI-Legacy slots on the DP67BG). Also, the DP67BA is not as nicely constructed as the DP67BG (it uses a combination of old-style and solid caps instead of the all-solid-cap design of the DP67BG). Plus, one of the four theoretical SATA 3 Gbps ports on the DP67BA is taken up by the rear-panel eSATA port instead of a sixth internal SATA port (whereas the DP67BG uses a separate Marvell controller for its eSATA port), thus leaving the DP67BA with only five total internal SATA ports.

Hi, just a supplemental note.

This post meant for a very small group of users who insist on having Intel-Gigabit Network Card, and live in area with no easy access to retail Intel Gigabit Add-In NIC due to no business volume

These motherboards all have integrated Intel gigabit network port. For people building home NAS and wanted Intel NIC, entry H67 models seem to offer good combinations with reasonable cost. (in comparison to buying other motherboard and source for Intel NIC in difficult area)

Do take note that full hardware support for SB setup is still pending for many FOSS operating systems, so perhaps it will take a while for them to be useful if you are on SB/FOSS combinations.

The biggest difference is that the DP67BA supports only one PCIe graphics card (and is thus limited to single graphics card or "single-GPU" use) - but it has three PCI-Legacy slots (instead of the two PCI-Legacy slots on the DP67BG). Also, the DP67BA is not as nicely constructed as the DP67BG (it uses a combination of old-style and solid caps instead of the all-solid-cap design of the DP67BG). Plus, one of the four theoretical SATA 3 Gbps ports on the DP67BA is taken up by the rear-panel eSATA port instead of a sixth internal SATA port (whereas the DP67BG uses a separate Marvell controller for its eSATA port), thus leaving the DP67BA with only five total internal SATA ports.

You basicly are listing all the reasons I'm not spending the extra 50 euros for the G model, I dont need any of that (except _maybe_ the caps and I do not think that really matters much). I was just wondering if I will be able to take advantage of my 1600Mhz ram or if I am limited to 1333Mhz. Since it has the same amount of power phases overclocking potential should remain unchanged.

Last edited:
Another supplemental note

this time info from techreport per review of P67 based motherboards.

Again it is written for people who insist greatly on quality/performance of Gigabit-Ethernet

1. It is written such that P67 does not have native PCI interface(old 32-bit interface), therefore boards supporting PCI slot are going through bridge chip.

2. The most important observation here is IF you have P67-based setup and depend on 32bit PCI Intel Gigabit NIC, the test shows Ethernet speed drops to practical around 515Mbps, compared to 800Mbps you get with boards based on old-chipsets with native PCI interface support and a 32bit PCI NIC.

3. The difference is sensitive for NAS people who value transfer speed. Usually they will get PCI-Express NIC, but many still rely on 32-Bit PCI Gigabit Cards, including cards from Intel.

does anyone see a review for the mATX intel mobo p67 DP67DE?

really want to overclock on an matx, and the only 2 p67 mATXs i can find are this one, and the Asus P8P67-M/P8P67-M-Pro for $20 more

heard intel mobos aren't as good for overclocking than 3rdparty

looking to OC using stock cooler

Last edited:
Another supplemental note

this time info from techreport per review of P67 based motherboards.

Again it is written for people who insist greatly on quality/performance of Gigabit-Ethernet

1. It is written such that P67 does not have native PCI interface(old 32-bit interface), therefore boards supporting PCI slot are going through bridge chip.

2. The most important observation here is IF you have P67-based setup and depend on 32bit PCI Intel Gigabit NIC, the test shows Ethernet speed drops to practical around 515Mbps, compared to 800Mbps you get with boards based on old-chipsets with native PCI interface support and a 32bit PCI NIC.

3. The difference is sensitive for NAS people who value transfer speed. Usually they will get PCI-Express NIC, but many still rely on 32-Bit PCI Gigabit Cards, including cards from Intel.

Again, the key is PCI (not PCI Express). Simply put, a PCI slot bifurcated from a PCIe-to-PCI bridge will not run as fast as a PCI slot running from a native PCI-supporting chipset.

heard intel mobos aren't as good for overclocking than 3rdparty

looking to OC using stock cooler

If you're OCing with the stock cooler, then you're not going for big overclocks anyway, so the Intel board would be fine for your purposes. Besides that, with the way RAM is no longer part of CPU overclocking, it probably matters very little which P67 board you OC with.

If you're OCing with the stock cooler, then you're not going for big overclocks anyway, so the Intel board would be fine for your purposes. Besides that, with the way RAM is no longer part of CPU overclocking, it probably matters very little which P67 board you OC with.

i mean of course when a cheap cooler comes out in the future when I feel like the i5 could be faster, i don't want the board to be the bottleneck

i'll wait i guess, to see if any other companies will announce p67 matx boards and OC reviews of the intel board

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/...-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/3
Anand got to 4.4 on that little cooler.

The question regarding DP67DE's overclocking headroom in bios remains unanswered.
edit: the product guide and tech specification manuals are online in .pdf form at Intel's site, and there is no info regarding bios settings related to overclocking.

We'll have to wait for a reviewer to get their hands on one.

Last edited:
I have ordered the DP67DE, a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ CPU cooler, and an i5-2500K CPU. Will eventually have reports on how the installation went, though I don't intend to go for big overclocks (if at all).

Added to the OP a couple more notes:

The DH67CL includes an LVDS connector. I'm unfamiliar with this connector besides a vague impression that it's common to connect laptops to their displays. Anyone know who this would appeal to?

PS/2 ports have been dropped from all seven motherboards. If you've still got a PS/2 keyboard or mouse, you'll need to use that funky green PS/2->USB adapter.

I have ordered the DP67DE, a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ CPU cooler, and an i5-2500K CPU. Will eventually have reports on how the installation went, though I don't intend to go for big overclocks (if at all).

Added to the OP a couple more notes:

The DH67CL includes an LVDS connector. I'm unfamiliar with this connector besides a vague impression that it's common to connect laptops to their displays. Anyone know who this would appeal to?

PS/2 ports have been dropped from all seven motherboards. If you've still got a PS/2 keyboard or mouse, you'll need to use that funky green PS/2->USB adapter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3131691&cm_re=p67_mATX-_-13-131-691-_-Product
Asus still has PS/2 on their P67 matx or atx

ur 212+ cpu cooler seems to be the (cheap) cooler of choice, can probably go close to 5ghz depending on what temps you feel comfortable with

ur 212+ cpu cooler seems to be the (cheap) cooler of choice, can probably go close to 5ghz depending on what temps you feel comfortable with

I game at 1680x1050 (and always will) and use the PC for very little else, so I'm not sure I even need to overclock (the improvement from an E6600 at 3.0GHz will be great). I am very interested in running cool and quiet without spending too much, and all reports are that this chipset is exactly what I've been waiting for.

For those that have the DP67BG Extreme board can you tell me if it has LED's that shine from behind the motherboard. In the pic I attached from the FunkyiT review, it looks like it does have LED's that shine from behind the board. I would love to get this board if it does light up like in the pic.

For those that have the DP67BG Extreme board can you tell me if it has LED's that shine from behind the motherboard. In the pic I attached from the FunkyiT review, it looks like it does have LED's that shine from behind the board. I would love to get this board if it does light up like in the pic.

While I don't have one, reviews say that the skull's eyes light up with drive activity (no specifics on the other lights I see in your picture).

DP67BGA seems to have bios options to set the memory to 1600, 1866, and 2133mhz

However when I tell it to use the intel XMP profile of my RAM, it will not boot. Are the XMP profiles for the old i7s not compatible with the new boards?

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, the DP67BA and other Intel SB motherboards don't support XMP. This thread discusses XMP support on SB, and the best answer seems to come from the ASUS guy:

Juan_Jose said:
if the dimms do not have a profile coded for P67 / Sandy Bridge you many need to manually define the parameters in the bios/uefi. In most situation the memory will run with the jedec spec standard which will most like be 1333 cas 9 at 1.5

Be careful when googling this; I found on at least one vendor's site that they got lazy and copied and pasted ASUS memory specs onto Intel motherboard spec pages.

^^^^^^
In the bios I can choose between "default", "custom", and "intel extreme memory profile". It's just that my ram has an XMP profile for an older chipset and then the board wont boot.

OK I finally got my DP67BG today and I was having a horrible time getting it to post. The Power Button would just constantly flash and it would not do anything else. After hours and hours of trying to get the board to work I realized that my Cooler Master Hyper 212+ was causing a short somewhere. Guess it's time to look for a new cooler. What are you guys using with the DP67BG?

UPDATE: Actually now that I am thinking about it...maybe it's not my Hyper 212 after all. This motherboard has 10 screw holes instead of the usual 9. I only have 9 standoffs so I figured that would be enough to secure the board. Do you think the short is caused by that one hole that is not screwed in? My board worked outside of my case but not in it.

Last edited:
OK I finally got my DP67BG today and I was having a horrible time getting it to post. The Power Button would just constantly flash and it would not do anything else. After hours and hours of trying to get the board to work I realized that my Cooler Master Hyper 212+ was causing a short somewhere. Guess it's time to look for a new cooler. What are you guys using with the DP67BG?

UPDATE: Actually now that I am thinking about it...maybe it's not my Hyper 212 after all. This motherboard has 10 screw holes instead of the usual 9. I only have 9 standoffs so I figured that would be enough to secure the board. Do you think the short is caused by that one hole that is not screwed in? My board worked outside of my case but not in it.

Just to make sure: you didn't peel the insulating tape off the Hyper 212+'s backplate, right?

If not that, then definitely take the motherboard out and see if it runs again. Check for any sort of debris or anything else between the case and motherboard that might contact the motherboard. Are you sure you didn't lose any screws during the install process?

hehe...yes I took the tape off the cooler. Actually I have been using the cooler just fine since August with my Crosshair IV and the 1090T. I tested the Intel board again today outside of the case, with just the cpu & intel stock cooler attached. It turned on perfectly. I went on the Cooler Master website to check out their support info and I was looking at the pics of the Hyper 212+ and what's suppose to be included in the box when you buy it. All 4 of the the standoffs look like they each come with a cardboard washer. I swear mine did not come with any of those and they also don't mention them in the manual. I wonder if this is what's causing the short. The backplate for the Hyper already comes with insulating tape attached so it's probably not shorting out underneath the motherboard. Maybe I do need to use some cardboard washers with the standoffs. Maybe the short is coming from the contact between the metal standoffs and the top of the motherboard.

Just throw some electrical tape under the area of the 10th missing standoff and you should be fine.

Good idea...i will definitely do that tomorrow! Also do you think I need some cardboard or rubber washer for the standoffs for the Hyper 212?

I am thinking of using hte DH67BL but I am concerned by the lack of solid state caps. My use case is a 24/7 server like machine that will idle 60% time and I need 4 RAM slots. I know that these Intel mobos have the lowest idle power and some reviews prefer the intel mobos. FWIW: For 20 bucks more I can get a gigabyte UD2H with solid state caps.

Yes it does. Not sure why this board doesn't get more love. It has been problem free for me.

Yes it does. Not sure why this board doesn't get more love. It has been problem free for me.

I think its the fact that for the price the feature list is anemic. Feature wise, this board competes with mobo's a good 40 to 50 dollars cheaper.

Back