Help with Asus mobo

hossdaddy

2[H]4U
ok I just upgraded to the asus m4a88td-m I have never used an asus board before, always been a gigabyte guy. I am having trouble seeing if the ram is running at the proper speeds. In cpu-z it show it running @ 667mhz even with cool n' quiet off.

Any thoughts?

This is my ram A-Data

TIA

667 in cpu-z = 1333mhz effective clock.Find the ram settings in the bios and change it to 800 make sure the timings and voltage are set properly or it may not boot.

Cool and quiet has no effect on memory speed ,it changes the cpu multi.

Last edited:
ok I looked in the bios settings for that and all I found was DRAM Frequency, the options it shows is, Auto, 916mhz, 1221mhz, 1527mhz, 1832mhz. This is confusing. Help!!!!!

ok with that selected cpu-z reports the following;
on the memory tab
DRAM Freq 763.4mhz
fsb:dram 3:10
9-9-9-24

SPD tab shows;

module size 2048MBytes
Max Bandwidth pc3-10700(667mhz)
A-Data
Part number DDR3 1600G

This ram is NOT listed on the qvl for this mobo. So, if I am reading this correctly the ram is not hitting 1600mhz, only 1527mhz.

My options appear to be 2, 1 - remove asus mobo and grab a gigabyte board (most seem to have A-Data ram on their qvl) or pick other ram that is on the qvl. I got this ram kit for $45 but the cheapest one from the qvl list for this mobo is $60. I think I can exchange this mobo for a gigabyte board that is $20 cheaper and will use this ram kit.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't worry about it so much or go through the hassle. The performance difference is pretty much zilch man.

Another thing to keep in mind is that manufacturers set the SPD lower than what they advertise so that the number of issues during installation are few to none. After installation the person overclocking (since that's the only way to get above 1333) then has to set the frequency and timings manually to match the advertised specifications. If the board doesn't have all the options, there might be a BIOS update that will unlock all the settings, or they might be located deeper in the settings somewhere. I didn't realize this until after I spoke with Asus and OCZ tech support and realized what was going on between my Asus M4A785TD-V EVO and OCZ Platinum DDR3 sets. Even after everything was configured right, the SPD tab still shows incorrect information in CPU-Z, because SPD is the hardcoded information on what the chip defaults to for auto, not what it's actually running at or the maximum potential of what it can run at.

ahh ok guys as usual thanks!!! I will stay pat with what I have.

Happy New Year all!! :)

Back