Recover Truecypt Volume?

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm getting "incorrect password or not a truecrypt volume" when I attempt to mount one of my files.

I've had this happen once before a few years ago. Both times I used a keyfile and a password, then after a few days I'm unable to mount it. All other times I normally only used a password and never had any problems. Is there something about using keyfiles that causes issues?

I have multiple original copies of the keyfile I used and tried them all with no luck. I hadn't backed up the volume header yet. Luckily I have a full backup. But it's a week out of date and I've lost a good 80+ hours of work.

Does anyone know what the deal is and some way to fix this?

Note to forum: Not trying to crack, I have my password and keyfile. Just really need to fix my file.

If anyone can help at all it'd be Greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
OK Weird. I defragged the main drive, rebooted and now it works. THANK GOD. LOL

Still wonder what the dealio was

keyfiles are tricky. ive also had issues with using keyfiles with truecrypt. im not sure if windows adds any additional info to the files sometimes, like updates "last modified" or "date created" data, which would change the hash value of the file. its kind of a PITA, but if i ever feel the need to use a keyfile, i burn it to CD first so that it can not be changed. unless you are hiding from the government though, a strong password is all you need. never had this problem on linux.

Good call. I was a bit reluctant about the possibility of windows changing the files on it's own.

Actually I just noticed something else which may have been the cause in this case. I normally have a lot of programs open many which of course use a lot of hotkeys. One of those hotkey combinations happened to be a part of my password I was using so when I was typing it Truecrypt wasn't reading the full thing correctly as the other program had control of a couple of those keys. Because the same thing happened again today with my newly created volume which made me notice. So I'm thinking that was probably it.

Something for others to take note if anyone ever has a prob. :)

Either way I ditched the keyfiles for now and just back to a pass. :D

Last edited:
Back