Hearing mouse movement and HDD activity through my sound card

Chacranajxy

Limp Gawd
So I'm having a weird issue where I can hear some interference sometimes when my hard drive is working, or when I move my mouse... and it's really, really annoying. I'm wondering what's causing it, and I'm hoping it's something as simple as a cable that needs to be replaced or something. My sound card is an HT Omega Claro+, so I doubt the problem is a crappy sound card. I've checked in the volume settings and turned off anything I can find that's some sort of line in (I disabled all audio devices other than the Claro+'s stereo output.)

I only started noticing this problem after I got a new pair of speakers. I'm using a ghetto setup where I have a 3.5mm to RCA-in Y-adapter hooked up to rca cables, which go to each speaker... in case that makes a difference.

Do you have any cables connected to the on-board analogue or digital coaxial outputs? Both of these will output PC generated interference. This interference can pass along cables of most connected devices, even if switched off.

Are the front case audio ports hooked up?
Do you use them? If they are plugged in try unplugging them and see if the "noise" changes.
It sounds like you are picking up interference and the front panel audio cables can sometimes induce noise.
Or try the sound card in a different slot if you have one available.

Back