EVGA GTX 580 Hydro Copper 2 ($699.99)

The price really isn't that bad of a markup for what you get. If you were to buy comparable parts separately this is what you would be spending (not counting the time spent installing the waterblock):

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Superclocked - $519

EK 580 GTX VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Nickel + Acetal (EK-FC580 GTX Nickel + Acetal) - $113

Single Slot GTX 580/480 Bracket - $10

EVGA GTX 580 Backplate - $20

Total = $662

So for $699 (only $37 more) you can get a card that comes with even higher factory clocks (ships @ 850MHz, but people on EVGA's forum have already hit well over 900MHz with this card), has a great looking waterblock (yes I like the LED backlit EVGA symbol too), that is already installed on the card. That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Ordered two (2) today to finish my SLI build. My 8800 Ultra needs to be put to rest. I will post pics and temps on my build-log once I get them in some time next week.

The price really isn't that bad of a markup for what you get. If you were to buy comparable parts separately this is what you would be spending (not counting the time spent installing the waterblock):

EK 580 GTX VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Nickel + Acetal (EK-FC580 GTX Nickel + Acetal) - $113

Total = $662

So for $699 (only $37 more) you can get a card that comes with even higher factory clocks (ships @ 850MHz, but people on EVGA's forum have already hit well over 900MHz with this card), has a great looking waterblock (yes I like the LED backlit EVGA symbol too), that is already installed on the card. That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Ordered two (2) today to finish my SLI build. My 8800 Ultra needs to be put to rest. I will post pics and temps on my build-log once I get them in some time next week.

Damn you, I wrote this exact post then refreshed the page for updates and you beat me to it. :p

But yea, the price really isn't that bad for a slick water cooled solution that will yield more OC potential. How did you order 2 today? I checked this morning and they were out-of-stock. :(

How did you order 2 today? I checked this morning and they were out-of-stock. :(

I had an Auto-Refresh extension running on Chrome while finishing up some work at the office. Luckily I noticed the "Buy Now" icon right away, and was able snag two of them (after 3 days of trying). The in-stock email notification didn't hit my inbox until AFTER my order confirmation arrived. Don't rely on the email notification, just watch the product page for the "Buy Now" icon to show up.

For the last 3 days they have been releasing small batches of these cards around 4:45-5:45PM (Mountain Time). When relying on the email notification, I would miss them. Check again first thing Monday morning. If none then, just run an Auto-Refresh extension during the times I just mentioned. Camping for it sucks but its the only way to be sure and get one right now.

$200 more? hah.

$200 more than WHAT? You ever watercool a video card??

Woooooooooooooooah.
LED lights.

Mr. Armageddon is a bit of an EVGA worshiper. :D They're not just any LEDs, they are EVGA LEDs!!

But it comes with a backplate!

no thanks, i cooled my gtx480 by 30c with an aftermarket cooler.

Things that I would expect from a best buy customer that scoffs at me when I tell them I've spent well over 2k on my home built PC. Not things I would expect to read here.

Total = $662

Pwn'd.

Last edited:

Total = $662

Sexy piece of [H]ardware. I'd buy all of that except I'd buy the reference cards and do the overclocking myself. I know its not guaranteed but meh. I'd also see if I could get a better deal on the waterblock or another block altogether. Led's are cool but unnecessary. Hopefully I save a good $75 per card x 2 is $150.00 or x3 if I go 570 is $225.00 :D

meh... just doesn't seem worthwhile when the default vapor-chamber heatsink is already pretty good. It seems like I could go 3X-SLi for just a little more (though I don't think that's worthwhile either - 2X SLi, overclocked, is likely fast enough to nearly max out the 1.5GB frame-buffer).

Then again, if there exists any current card worthy of such a cooling solution, this is it.

that thing looks epic to bad its way outta my price range how fast with this card fall in price.

that thing looks epic to bad its way outta my price range how fast with this card fall in price.

Is less than 10 days fast enough for ya? :D There are many rumors flying around on 6870 many I dont believe, the one I do says that they are going to be coming for $449.99 or less. Nvidia will drop the reference card price on the 580/570 if these radeon cards are very competitive and undercut their pricing. Those cards should be here 12/15/10 and price war should be in full effect by a week after that. ;)

Oh if the reference goes down less than $100 expect these to go down a bit not too much. Say $629.99.

It doesn't look impressive. Just a big advertisement for EVGA rather than anything outstanding aesthetically about either the block or the backplate.

Looking at the backside of the hydrocopper, I wish they had done cooling on those little chips as well instead of doing cutouts for them. This is why I think Swiftech cooling is behind custom waterblocks. Owning a Hydrocopper 2 FTW will certainly put you in an exclusive club, but not necessarily give you the best watercooling of all the video card components possible imo. I would go with stock AR 580 cards and get custom blocks if I went that route. Still waiting on the 6970.

Looking at the backside of the hydrocopper, I wish they had done cooling on those little chips as well instead of doing cutouts for them. This is why I think Swiftech cooling is behind custom waterblocks. Owning a Hydrocopper 2 FTW will certainly put you in an exclusive club, but not necessarily give you the best watercooling of all the video card components possible imo. I would go with stock AR 580 cards and get custom blocks if I went that route. Still waiting on the 6970.

These backplates are made to look good, not increase cooling performance. Even EK's web page states: "Backplate serves as aesthetics add on."

Take a look at the internals of this Swiftech waterblock.
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=685866&mpage=1

It looks very well built, similar in design and workmanship to an EK or Danger Den block, and is a great improvement over the heatpipe design of the previous 480 Hydro Copper. A 3rd party review is supposed to hit Monday, but so far, EVGA forum users that have theirs already have been extremely happy with the results thus far.

Yes you are paying a bit extra for a binned GPU / Waterblock / Backplate / Single-Slot bracket combo. But being that every batch that has come out over the last 5 days has sold out within minutes, its obvious that many (including me :D) are just fine paying a bit extra for such a sweet performing card.

or they are limiting the supply enough to make it look like they are in high demand. not a first. put 4-5 up at a time once a day, creates the illusion that there is a really high demand for them when really there isnt.

and im with exodia on this one. pre-overclocked just takes all the fun out of it. rather save the money and go with the reference card and overclock it myself. makes me feel like im getting more for my money :D.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and what constitutes value for them. I personally think these cards are worth the price, as I also take my time into consideration when looking at these kinds of purchases. Is a $37 premium worth it to me to not have to spend roughly an hour on each card removing the stock heatsink, and installing a 3rd party one? For me the answer is yes. For others maybe not.

One thing is for sure, these cards perform very well. Single Hydro Copper OC'd to 925MHz scored a GPU score of 6778 on 3DMark11, never getting above 51°C. Can't argue with those results.

or they are limiting the supply enough to make it look like they are in high demand. not a first. put 4-5 up at a time once a day, creates the illusion that there is a really high demand for them when really there isnt.

and im with exodia on this one. pre-overclocked just takes all the fun out of it. rather save the money and go with the reference card and overclock it myself. makes me feel like im getting more for my money :D.

I've never owned a pre-overclocked card that I couldn't over clock a good deal more. That just means that you're guaranteed some overclock already. In a watercooling setup I would certainly push for more, or why watercool? I definitely understand your mentality. However, the 8800GTS Maxcore I bought from BFG back in the day (which was on a special sale making it the same price as the stock clocked version) hit up there with the highest overclocks I saw anyone get on that card with stock cooling. Super solid card, and a great overclocker.

And it's not just these EVGA special edition cards that are selling out. 580's are selling out everywhere:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=GTX+580&x=0&y=0

Take a look, my friend. The only one in stock is a Sparkle!!

What a horrible price.

Again, as apposed to what? It's a small premium. For the work they've done and the quality of job, and the fact that these are already EVGA's best binned chips, I don't think it's overpriced one bit.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and what constitutes value for them. I personally think these cards are worth the price, as I also take my time into consideration when looking at these kinds of purchases. Is a $37 premium worth it to me to not have to spend roughly an hour on each card removing the stock heatsink, and installing a 3rd party one? For me the answer is yes. For others maybe not.

One thing is for sure, these cards perform very well. Single Hydro Copper OC'd to 925MHz scored a GPU score of 6778 on 3DMark11, never getting above 51°C. Can't argue with those results.

Impressive results.

I'm newer to watercooling than you are, and it would take me a lot more than an hour per card... :D

Last edited:
I think it's overpriced by about $50-100. But EVGA has a right to charge a premium for what they feel their best version of the video card is. *shrugs* Doesn't seem worth it to me but it does offer some convenience if you don't want to install a waterblock yourself. I just don't think it's worth it to pay someone else $100 to do it for you.

I think it's overpriced by about $50-100. But EVGA has a right to charge a premium for what they feel their best version of the video card is. *shrugs* Doesn't seem worth it to me but it does offer some convenience if you don't want to install a waterblock yourself. I just don't think it's worth it to pay someone else $100 to do it for you.

I'm still not getting where you see this "$100" stuff from. Please find where you can buy me a 580, even the Sparkle one, put a good waterblock, single slot bracket, and backplate on it, all for $600 even. Math wasn't my best subject, so please correct me if I'm wrong here. I don't work for EVGA, and my next primary graphics card is probably going to be AMD, but I'm seeing some really "un-[H]" comments on this thread...

I'm still not getting where you see this "$100" stuff from. Please find where you can buy me a 580, even the Sparkle one, put a good waterblock, single slot bracket, and backplate on it, all for $600 even. Math wasn't my best subject, so please correct me if I'm wrong here. I don't work for EVGA, and my next primary graphics card is probably going to be AMD, but I'm seeing some really "un-[H]" comments on this thread...

GTX 580 MSRP $499. Average custom waterblock $100. And EVGA may charge $30 for the backplate but you know it only costs them $5 to make tops. And from what they've said it sounds like a cosmetic feature only, doing nothing to actually improve cooling performance so, yeah if you 'inflate' the numbers it may sound worth if if you want to justify the extra cost. But this is still an overpriced product. Like I said, I don't have a problem with the premium EVGA is charging to 'install it for you' but it's really not a great value deal by any stretch when you have the know how to do it yourself.

GTX 580 MSRP $499. Average custom waterblock $100. And EVGA may charge $30 for the backplate but you know it only costs them $5 to make tops. And from what they've said it sounds like a cosmetic feature only, doing nothing to actually improve cooling performance so, yeah if you 'inflate' the numbers it may sound worth if if you want to justify the extra cost. But this is still an overpriced product. Like I said, I don't have a problem with the premium EVGA is charging to 'install it for you' but it's really not a great value deal by any stretch when you have the know how to do it yourself.

These cards are the top end EVGA has at the moment, and are not meant to be a "great value". If you want a great value, look farther down the product lines. I know very well (as I am sure everyone that buys these cards do) that I am paying extra for a binned GPU, the custom waterblock & installation, a backplate, etc, but guess what... I am perfectly OK with that. You shouldn't assume that just because you don't see any "value" to these cards, that everyone else follows the same line of thought. What constitutes value changes drastically between different individuals.

There is a certain "look" I am trying to achieve with my liquid cooled build and these cards will help exemplify that look. I know I could do it myself and save a few bucks (and have numerous times in the past), but I personally like the look of these cards/waterblocks (can't buy these blocks solo) and know that they will be excellent performers. My goal is to hit a clock of 950MHz when running benchmarks. Hopefully I will have them in this weekend and will update my build-log with the results.

So besides those guys on the EVGA forums @ around 925mhz or so, what's the highest these have gotten to on water on evga or any other forum? Anyone hear any 1ghz stories under water?

925 was just one guy. There are a bunch more that are around the 950MHz range and stable enough to run benchmarks. I did see a post with someone hitting 1GHz on AIR! But only by using a very big cooler.
http://hwbot.org/community/submission/1076096_

signature.img

Pretty sure that cooler is heavy enough to snap that card in half if it were positioned upright in a case. One would think similar results would be possible with liquid if you had a good card.

Last edited:
Got an email notification about stock, but in the 8 minutes it took me to get to a PC (at work) they went out of stock. =(

Lol @ that (TRUE-120?) picture

At any rate, I'd be curious to see how improved this block is over the combo one they slapped on the 480. Still a Swiftech block tho, but I can see why they went with them. I'd rather have an EK personally, but for a direct from supplier variant it does look nice.

How does the performance of the preinstalled WB compare to a DIY block for a similar price? (like 700 - 520 = WB setups in the $180 range.)

Much better than any aftermarket solution for the 580, to date.

It's totally worth it then. Lifetime warranty out of the box, you don't have to fool with it to install a WB, guaranteed 850/4100 speeds, and...

It has LEDs.:D

Could you post your sources? I've been trying to find benchmarks but to no avail. (since it just came out)

I couldn't find any reviews for it either. But for what it's worth, here's the temp. of the GTX 480 HC.

Since the 580 doesn't run as hot, and I assume the HC 2 is a better version of the original HC block, the temp. would be better than 43C at load. I'll leave it to you to estimate how much better.

Mr. Armageddon posted 51c or something like that earlier. I, too, am anxious to see how these do in some comparison tests. [H] needs to get a hold of one of these and put it against some competitor's cards to see if it's worth the premium. Good luck to anyone getting your hands on the 580's right now. They are hot tamales. Especially these pre-watercooled ones.

I couldn't find any reviews for it either. But for what it's worth, here's the temp. of the GTX 480 HC.

Since the 580 doesn't run as hot, and I assume the HC 2 is a better version of the original HC block, the temp. would be better than 43C at load. I'll leave it to you to estimate how much better.

Actually there are several WC variables you'd need to know to see how efficient these revised blocks really are:

1. AMBIENT TEMPS.
2. Voltage/Overvolt settings on GPUs
3. Rads used/Surface area
4. Fans used/RPMs/CFM
5. Whether there's anything else in the loop that would contribute to loop heat, ie heavily OCed CPU w/CPU block, motherboard blocks, memory blocks, etc.

It's really best to do comparison testing on the same system with identical ambient and voltage settings. Of course we also know that the 580s run cooler and consume less juice than the 480s, so this alone could be contributing to the extra cooling performance rather than a marked increase in waterblock efficiency. Although granted, the new Hydrocopper 2 blocks DO look better since they appear to be full coverage blocks this time around.

Back