Facebook Gets a New Facelift

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Just prior to CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s appearance on 60 Minutes on Sunday, Facebook unveiled the redesign of its members profile pages. The new changes are designed to enhance the visual appeal of the members’ pages and also visitors to the page.

"You can see all the things that you have in common with that person," Zuckerberg said. "And it's just like, it gives you this amazing connection with that person in a way that the current version of the profile that we have today just doesn't do."

More clever "hidden advertising" from facebook last night on 60 minutes.

If you watched the football game before 60 minutes, they must have said "DONT FORGET TO TUNE INTO 60 MINUTES FOR THE ALL NEW SECRET FOR FACEBOOK TONIGHT" about 3 or 4 times AT LEAST.... so obvious advertising from Facebook.

Facebook fail, again..... it'll be dead in 3 years, just like myspace before that, just like 3 years before friendster. Anyone who knows the biz knows its a dying niche site

The people who waste their life on it will now quote me and try to say something opposite so they don't feel so sheepish :D

Hurray for another step back from actually asking a person what they like.

Whatever, I have an account, but I'll never understand the need to be on it 24/7.

Finally took some advice from people like me... who obviously see facebook is a crappier looking myspace with no customization.

The site is still pointless and waste of life for 99% of its users without a doubt. I email pictures to all my family, and text with pics to my REAL friends. So facebook is nothing new, just a fad hands down

If you watched the football game before 60 minutes, they must have said "DONT FORGET TO TUNE INTO 60 MINUTES FOR THE ALL NEW SECRET FOR FACEBOOK TONIGHT" about 3 or 4 times AT LEAST.... so obvious advertising from Facebook.

This is nothing new. The network wants you to stay tuned in to their following program. With regard to shows like 60 Minutes, they'll give you topics as advertisements.

jebus h profit, did the CEO of a major company use the word "like" that way in a sentence?

That's like, retarded.

That's because Zuckerburg sounds, and acts like a college dropout Valley dweeb. I envy the guy because he had some rich people to back his copycat myspace idea which he semi-stole.... but he really isn't as bright or genius as others on TV put him to be. It's all hype and sensationalism for sheepish people who don't know much about tech.

Watching him in an interview is just funny.... he's definitely not the brain behind this idea.

Every time you hear facebook, some Harvard person paid for you to hear it. It's just snowballed into this huge thing with "JOIN OUR TV SHOW ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER" along with the lameass marketing/advertising movie about himself.

That's because Zuckerburg sounds, and acts like a college dropout Valley dweeb. I envy the guy because he had some rich people to back his copycat myspace idea which he semi-stole.... but he really isn't as bright or genius as others on TV put him to be. It's all hype and sensationalism for sheepish people who don't know much about tech.

Watching him in an interview is just funny.... he's definitely not the brain behind this idea.

Every time you hear facebook, some Harvard person paid for you to hear it. It's just snowballed into this huge thing with "JOIN OUR TV SHOW ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER" along with the lameass marketing/advertising movie about himself.

Jealous much?

It's all about capturing eyeballs to keep consumption moving. Move along.

Facebook fail, again..... it'll be dead in 3 years, just like myspace before that, just like 3 years before friendster. Anyone who knows the biz knows its a dying niche site

The people who waste their life on it will now quote me and try to say something opposite so they don't feel so sheepish :D

So you're just basing these thoughts on what? What makes you think it'll die in 3 years?

All the other social networks are copying facebook to catch up with the new updated features they add.

If you can't evolve, you die off. Myspace did nothing to evolve except destroy it by many flashing advertisements, and allowing people to customize their profiles to have 20 glitter art animations and unresized pictures.

There's no way to switch back once you "try" the new profile... and it makes all your friends' profiles display in the new format too.

lol, I'm quoting you only to indulge you in the fact that its a social networking website... Its not World of Warcraft where the 12 million users are going to feel like a total piece of shit when the next expansion comes out and their last 6 years of play time are meaningless. Once a new "facebook" comes out, people will start to communicate with their real life friends via that. OMGz I WASTED SO MUCH TIMEZ WRITING THOSE FOUR SENTENCES FOR MY ABOUT ME PAGE!@#!@

Post fail, again.

Postfail?

Your post made no sense, and was nothing but obvious rhetoric. Nothing new was learned by your post besides you doing what I said you would.

Another marketing scheme you fell for today... #2 since you clearly used facebook today.

That's what this entire news/article/facebook chat is about...... it was all designed so people talk about facebook, hence reminding them to use it more.

Now facebook will lure more gullible investors like Microsoft (they own 1% in facebook now for some odd reason LOL! money duh) with things like "look how many hits we generated this week".... since they paid for everyone to talk about the new revamp (like 60 minutes whom they clearly paid off for their "news segment" with zuckerburg)

It's ALL marketing.... nothing more. It's to get more gullible l33t speaking kids like you to join and (hopefully) click the ads they spam on the right side of facebook.

Post fail again? I never failed once, and you didn't do shiet to prove otherwise. :D

"Oh wow, we're both members of the Facebook group 'Herpes Support!' I never knew that about you, we should totally hook up."

Why facebook won't fail in three years: people will never get tired of looking into other people's lives

Why this post isn't news: facebook has been changing the layout every 8 months for the last 5 years without much in the way of any actual change in features

Why facebook won't fail in three years: people will never get tired of looking into other people's lives

Why this post isn't news: facebook has been changing the layout every 8 months for the last 5 years without much in the way of any actual change in features

People get tired of looking into other people's lives (see friendster 2004, see myspace 2008)

Here is an article from 2006 talking about myspace dying and it's a fad (exactly like I claimed facebook is in 2010 above LOL!)

" Friendster lost steam. Is MySpace just a fad? "

danah boyd
March 21, 2006

http://www.danah.org/papers/FriendsterMySpaceEssay.html

Like I said, facebook is going to die.... and already is. Why do you think they are changing the layout and making a huge marketing campaign on 60 minutes to get people to notice the changes? Without them being on 60 minutes, this very thread would not exist, nor would most people realize that facebook has changed.

It's all marketing... please overstand the subject like I do.

And taken from that article is a very good piece of info:

"What's at stake here is what is called "subcultural capital" by academics. It is the kind of capital that anyone can get, if you are cool enough to know that it exists and cool enough to participate. It is a counterpart to "cultural capital" which is more like hegemonic capital. That was probably a bit too obscure. Let me give an example. Opera attendance is a form of cultural capital - you are seen as having money and class and even if you think that elongated singing in foreign languages is boring, you attend because that's what cultured people do. You need the expensive clothes, the language, the body postures, the social connects and the manners to belong. Limitations are economic and social. Rave attendance is the opposite. Anyone can get in, in theory... There are certainly hodgepodged clothes, street language and dance moves, but most folks can blend in with just a little effort. Yet, the major limitation is knowing that the rave exists. "Being in the know" is more powerful than money. You can't buy your way into knowledge of a rave. "

FACEBOOK IS A 100% FAD, overstand this!

FACEBOOK IS A 100% FAD, overstand this!

isnt everything a fad? orchestra, plays, books, movies, everything was once a 'fad' and becames a niche(some bigger then others) sooner or later

Everything is not a fad. A fad is something people usually unknowingly support because they "heard everyone else was doing it" or "I heard a lot of people say this is cool"

Fad = an interest followed with exaggerated zeal"<<<-- facebook
A tradition is not a fad... its something that continues on and on, and evolves into something better.. like mail.

Croc shoes are a fad, they came for a short time with "exaggerated zeal" then after that zeal died, you never heard about them again.

email is NOT a fad, cell phones are not a fad, these are things that have evolved and been around for years (and will continue to evolve)

Facebook is not fail.
Look at all the good it is doing.
Where else can you click a link to support a cause. Anywhere else and you would have to do something like help feed the homeless, or donate to some cause. But on Facebook you can Like the cause and everyone can be like "this person cares"

And where else can you build a farm to feed the starving digial masses? So please help me build my farm bigger so we can end digital hunger.

Everything is not a fad. A fad is something people usually unknowingly support because they "heard everyone else was doing it" or "I heard a lot of people say this is cool"

Fad = an interest followed with exaggerated zeal"<<<-- facebook
A tradition is not a fad... its something that continues on and on, and evolves into something better.. like mail.

Croc shoes are a fad, they came for a short time with "exaggerated zeal" then after that zeal died, you never heard about them again.

email is NOT a fad, cell phones are not a fad, these are things that have evolved and been around for years (and will continue to evolve)

croc shoes will be around as long as their are people to buy and use them. beanie babies? people still collect them to this day,

regular snail mail has been replaced with email, email use is declining while text message is on the rise.

cell phones don't have fads? remember this lovely thing:

Motorola_Brick_Cell_Phone_web.jpg

and how it was a status symbol to have one?

Postfail?
...:D

Seriously, man? You probably hate Microsoft because it's an evil corporation, and try to stick it to "The Man", right? Just because someone uses something that MANY other people use doesn't make them a sheep. If they blindly went because everyone else was doing it, then maybe. But, there are a lot of reasons to use it.

Since I drive a car, does that make me a sheep? Every one else is doing it. A newer model than my original Ford Courier came out and I bought it (Ranger). I guess marketing does work, and I'm a sheep. Wait. I used my own decision to do all this. No one made it for me. Same with Facebook. Yes, it's advertising. But, that doesn't make everyone that uses it a sheep, man.

Get off your high horse and come down to the real world...

Seriously, man? You probably hate Microsoft because it's an evil corporation, and try to stick it to "The Man", right? Just because someone uses something that MANY other people use doesn't make them a sheep. If they blindly went because everyone else was doing it, then maybe. But, there are a lot of reasons to use it.

Since I drive a car, does that make me a sheep? Every one else is doing it. A newer model than my original Ford Courier came out and I bought it (Ranger). I guess marketing does work, and I'm a sheep. Wait. I used my own decision to do all this. No one made it for me. Same with Facebook. Yes, it's advertising. But, that doesn't make everyone that uses it a sheep, man.

Get off your high horse and come down to the real world...

Like.

lol

K, you guys don't understand what a fad is compared to a traditional idea.

Cell phones, including the brick cell, razr phone, etc are all traditional phones just modernized.

Facebook is nothing new, just a spammed out social site. If myspace spammed ANYTHING like facebook is doing right now, nobody would even use facebook since myspace would be all over TV and movies.

If you guys read the 2006 article, it explains why Facebook IS A FAD (fact)

It will die, watch and mark my words all you want while fake laughing because I know its gonna happen! :D

And I love the way people defend it as if its some HUUUUGE breakthrough on the internet.

"Well now I can share pictures with all my friends" <<<-- you could do this before, and I still do it the normal way THROUGH EMAIL. It's very fucking easy and everyone I know uses it more than their facebook still. My grandma has a facebook, and I do not. I send her family pics in an instant via my phone email, along with everyone else I TRULY KNOW (unlike you guys who share your pics with every person you "friended" in your entire town)

"Well you can connect with companies and good causes in an instant! where else can you do that?!" <<<---- uhhhh... through the fucking internet websites and google it if I can't find it.

Please keep trying, facebook is nothing but useless waste of time, HANDS DOWN. Sorry if the truth hurts you guys hahahah :D

Ok, you've given your OPINION. Yes, it will probably fade like MySpace did, but who cares. Everything comes and goes, and when it comes to the Internet, it is even more so. That doesn't make it a terrible thing to use... I've done a lot, found a lot of people, and network quite a bit on Facebook. Hell, I've met a lot of new people on there. It's not that terrible of a thing.

So, you don't use it. Fine. Can't you accept that some people do? I don't use a lot of things that other people do, but I don't condemn them for doing so. I can't stand Apple products, but I don't care that a lot of people love them. It's their personal preference.

Sorry I don't hold the exact same outlook as you. If I did, I'd be a sheep. Just blindly following someone because they sound "cool"...

Now you are twisting my words to sound right... I never said nobody should use facebook. Just pointed out the fact that its useless and nothing new like everyone likes to portray.

And whom is to say you wouldn't have met people in real life, hadn't you been logged into facebook?
To add, you probably have 200+ "friends" on your account am I right? I have seen many people with 200+ and every-SINGLE-PERSON I have looked at (besides celebrities) never get more than 10 comments on any of their wall posts. It's just a bunch of people spying on each other in their spare time LOL! So obvious.

I have used facebook and been to many of profiles of random people.... mostly to see what the hype is about and how it was different then myspace (which I used a lot back when).

After looking for a while, I found out there was LESS stuff on facebook, and plus it just looked (and still does look) dull, plain, and boring compared to myspace. Myspace had tons more content and videos that were popular. Facebook does not do this?

Myspace had music I could customize (for my own use, not my page) and stream new tunes as I went and did other stuff online. I could find new artists (you can't do this on facebook) instantly based on other types of artists with similar sounds.

I could go on and on why facebook is just useless copycat of myspace.... but I don't want to anger the facebook fanboys anymore :D They'll say wow, myspace is lame but really... facebook is a copy of it and they don't even realize.

I just want facebook to stop marketing and spamming on everything, its invasive and HIGHLY annoying to me when I flip on any news channel or popular TV show and I'm spammed "JOIN US ON TWITTER AND FACEBOOK!".... if myspace did this, I would hate myspace for spamming too. But at least myspace was a breakthrough, facebook is just riding myspaces' coat tails.

It is definitely a clone of MySpace, and it would be NOTHING without MySpace. I would have met people in real life, too. But, the ones I've met on Facebook have been from India, the East Coast, from Microsoft, the UK, and other places where I would NEVER meet them in real life (aside from MVP summits for Microsoft, if they can make it).

It is definitely not useless. My "Friends" and I started an online magazine (The Active Geek), which is doing well. We provide technical support and discussion to each other. We pass ideas around. We share news and such. I am part of a Cisco study group on there. A lot of my old classmates are on there that I haven't talked to since High School, and probably wouldn't without Facebook.

There is no doubt by anyone that Facebook is modeled after MySpace. And yes, they do spam the shit out of everything (They have a damn movie, for God's sake!). But, it is far from useless. I have under 60 friends, half are family and old friends. The other half are colleagues and people I share news with (I run several websites).

Now you are twisting my words to sound right... I never said nobody should use facebook. Just pointed out the fact that its useless and nothing new like everyone likes to portray.

And whom is to say you wouldn't have met people in real life, hadn't you been logged into facebook?
To add, you probably have 200+ "friends" on your account am I right? I have seen many people with 200+ and every-SINGLE-PERSON I have looked at (besides celebrities) never get more than 10 comments on any of their wall posts. It's just a bunch of people spying on each other in their spare time LOL! So obvious.

I have used facebook and been to many of profiles of random people.... mostly to see what the hype is about and how it was different then myspace (which I used a lot back when).

After looking for a while, I found out there was LESS stuff on facebook, and plus it just looked (and still does look) dull, plain, and boring compared to myspace. Myspace had tons more content and videos that were popular. Facebook does not do this?

Myspace had music I could customize (for my own use, not my page) and stream new tunes as I went and did other stuff online. I could find new artists (you can't do this on facebook) instantly based on other types of artists with similar sounds.

I could go on and on why facebook is just useless copycat of myspace.... but I don't want to anger the facebook fanboys anymore :D They'll say wow, myspace is lame but really... facebook is a copy of it and they don't even realize.

I just want facebook to stop marketing and spamming on everything, its invasive and HIGHLY annoying to me when I flip on any news channel or popular TV show and I'm spammed "JOIN US ON TWITTER AND FACEBOOK!".... if myspace did this, I would hate myspace for spamming too. But at least myspace was a breakthrough, facebook is just riding myspaces' coat tails.

"I don't like facebook, therefore everyone else should agree with me!"

oh. okay. :rolleyes:

Yes, of course Facebook is a FAD.

Why? Because it's something that people only like because they think that other people like it. And so they try to be part of the thing that is liked so they themselves can be liked and in turn make themselves believe they like it to be just like the general random people who's acceptance they crave so much.

Facebook will die when people eventually get sick of it, and they WILL get sick of it because people who like things for no reason other than the fact that they believe it is considered 'cool' by most people, tend to be quite flaky about what they like.

Facebook is a FAD - there is no denying it, but people who use it may need some examples of why that is because they cannot think of them on their own.

As such, the one rule of a FAD is - What goes up really high must come down really hard.

Facebook has been inflated to an insane amount and it's only a matter of time until it blows up.

But the question isn't "Will Facebook go the way of MySpace and Friendster?" The answer is Yes.

The question is - What will be the next social networking site, or next great big FAD. And the answer to that is much more important because what it is - we MUST use it to make giant bags of money.

He hasn't proven to be a genius except the ability to take other's ideas, code, and talented people and harvest them for his own. That is something he is indeed good at. Anything else? Who knows.

Dylan80, I'm sorry you graduated 5 years too late with nine degrees in computer science, but no one else gives a shit that all the friends you hung out with once a month in college don't talk to you anymore so your response is to RID THE WORLD OF FACEBOOK USERS. Sure, facebook is a fad... who cares? Social networking isn't going anywhere. You may feel like sending your only friend, your grandmother, pictures via e-mail is good enough of a social life for you, but around 200 million other people feel like sharing a little more with a larger crowd. Also, facebook's chat feature is one thing that myspace never had ultimately replacing AIM/Yahoo messenger for most of its users which I feel is a huge reason for its success.

Are you really that upset with your life that you need to convince everyone here that Facebook is a fad and will DIE SOON? The only thing I'm betting on never changing is you bitching about the most current social networking site no matter what comes after Facebook.

Ignoring all the arguing going on in here...

I personally like the old profile more than the new one. Then again, I'm a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" type of person. More options are always a good thing though I guess, but I'm sticking to the old profile.

Back