Prison Inmates Have Facebook

HardOCP News

[H] News
How popular is Facebook? Even convicted murderers serving time in prison have Facebook pages. :eek:

Facebook shows the pictures are uploaded from a cell phone and on his Facebook page is a picture of Walker holding one. Walker posts more photos from his bunk apparently smoking a joint, holding a bottle of booze and a bag of weed with another man.

I know about this first hand. A kid from my class in school is in the slammer for stealing a car then started shooting at the cops, and wants to be friends with all of his class-mates now. Instantly blocked. Do they get Netflix in prison too? Good grief.

This should be an easy one. Want TV? Nope. Want internet. Nope.

Should have thought about that before you broke the law.

This should be an easy one. Want TV? Nope. Want internet. Nope.

Should have thought about that before you broke the law.

The prison isn't giving him access to Facebook. Cell phones are smuggled in. We shouldn't pretend the prisons are treating the inmates like they are on vacation. Contraband is the problem.

The system administrator previous to me is in prison for pot/weed. I found out that at prison, they give him [monitored] e-mail access through the prison's own e-mail system or a service for inmates.

The prison isn't giving him access to Facebook. Cell phones are smuggled in. We shouldn't pretend the prisons are treating the inmates like they are on vacation. Contraband is the problem.

Maybe not Facebook access but they do have computer labs in quite a bit of prisons if I'm not mistaken. Added; if they have bad IT personnel they probably do have Facebook access sometimes.

I don't get this. With the privatization of the jail system, I would have thought that conditions would be even more draconian than the state/fed run prisons. None of this sounds draconian! Sounds like a spa! Well, with murderers and psychos....

I don't get this. With the privatization of the jail system, I would have thought that conditions would be even more draconian than the state/fed run prisons. None of this sounds draconian! Sounds like a spa! Well, with murderers and psychos....

... First, I don't think it was a private prison. Second, these services were not provided, stuff was smuggled in.

Third...

UPDATE--The spokesperson for the Oklahoma Department of Corrections, Jerry Massie, says Justin Walker has been moved to the Oklahoma State Penitentiary and placed in Administrative Segregation in the H-unit in McAlester. A cell phone was recovered along with some marijuana. Massie says DOC will be asking for charges to be filed in Greer County as well as proceeding with its own internal misconduct process. This happened less than 24 hours after FOX23 News reported Walker's Facebook to DOC [/uote]

Oh look a Aryan Brotherhood Gang member posting latently homosexual pictures of himself on facebook.

pit-tssh.

... First, I don't think it was a private prison. Second, these services were not provided, stuff was smuggled in.

Third...

UPDATE--The spokesperson for the Oklahoma Department of Corrections, Jerry Massie, says Justin Walker has been moved to the Oklahoma State Penitentiary and placed in Administrative Segregation in the H-unit in McAlester. A cell phone was recovered along with some marijuana. Massie says DOC will be asking for charges to be filed in Greer County as well as proceeding with its own internal misconduct process. This happened less than 24 hours after FOX23 News reported Walker's Facebook to DOC [/uote]

See look at the brightside posting on facebook probably just got this asshole more time. Works for me!

I really wish they'd give prisoners something more to do than read books and beat the crap out of each other. Their medical bills and lawsuits cost taxpayers lots of money every year...I bet we'd save money giving them computer labs.

prison is one thing, but I heard extended jail (as opposed to prison) time will have all kinds of perks.

I really wish they'd give prisoners something more to do than read books and beat the crap out of each other. Their medical bills and lawsuits cost taxpayers lots of money every year...I bet we'd save money giving them computer labs.

Are you posting this from your local correctional facility? :D I do see your point though. Maybe they should give them internet and use Comcast as the provider?

Agreed, I take the viewpoint that anyone who does not have at least a diploma, while in prison, should be forced to attend daily classes were they are taught basic Math, Science and English until they have at least the equivilent of a 2-year diploma so they have MORE OPTIONS when they get out of jail thats not..going back to jail.

The cost of 1 teacher is about the same as 1 prison guard. You might need less prison guards too if you kept them all stuck in one room learning about Calculus.

Agreed, I take the viewpoint that anyone who does not have at least a diploma, while in prison, should be forced to attend daily classes were they are taught basic Math, Science and English until they have at least the equivilent of a 2-year diploma so they have MORE OPTIONS when they get out of jail thats not..going back to jail.

The cost of 1 teacher is about the same as 1 prison guard. You might need less prison guards too if you kept them all stuck in one room learning about Calculus.

While they're at it get more student grants so that students can avoid going to jail in the first place (these student loans are killer).

I don't see how they are paying their debt to society when we are footing the bill. Get them out there to plant crops, dig ditches, clear minefields, you know, useful stuff...

Might be on to something here. Maybe prisons can talk to local colleges and universities about paying advanced-level students to come in 2-8 hours a day and do some teaching.

"A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad." -Theodore Roosevelt

I don't see how they are paying their debt to society when we are footing the bill. Get them out there to plant crops, dig ditches, clear minefields, you know, useful stuff...

What debt to society? None of these people did anything to society - they almost always just did something illegal that doesn't affect society and more than likely just one other human being.

People like you talk about prison and the justice system and laws as if they're all completely fair and punishment is just.

But the second you get arrested for something utterly ridiculous you'll understand that any punishment is a horrible thing that you can only think is just if you're not being subjected to it and are allowed to have biased, ignorant opinions of.

Boy would I love to see you forced to plant crops, dig ditched, clear minefields, you know.. for making a small mistake.

I admit I laughed at all the naive comments people made about this. first people would be shocked to find out the amount of crap they are allowed to have, a tv (with cable), a stereo, some type of walkman, a crock pot, hobby craft items, a "stinger", a crap load of store bought food items (dingdongs, hoho and whatnot) and even regular clothing. seriously anyone ever has a chance to go and see (I don't mean a guided tour where they show you what they want you to see)

maybe, just maybe, this is why Missouri has the recidivism rate it does?

If you mean that they should be given the option of leading a more productive life when they are released by adding to the amount of things at their disposal to enrich themselves, then that sounds fantastic.

But if you're saying they should be forced to study because you subconsciously choose to have a poor opinion of all inmates to stereotypically distinguish between yourself and those society condemns so you can go on thinking you're one of the worthy people in humanity because everybody loves you.. then no, it's just your illusion.

yeah that worked out well here. its law here BTW, they have to get a GED or serve the full sentence. and we pay them for school after they get out. And I doubt that you can get a teacher that cheap. esp considering that some them have been raped (to be fair this was a while ago, haven't seen anything on the news about that issue in a while). and that is why you would still have to have a guard.

sorry if I sound harsh but this type of attitude is naive. I would be all for spending money on something that worked but all this has been is money down a hole in Missouri. we have (had?) one of the longest drug treatment course (year and a half) only to find out that it was less effective then AA or the short term (much cheaper) course.

hey at least the last Governor took the PS3 out. :rolleyes:

I love that some of you are probably the same ones who are rallying for the pirate bay and love downloading tons of software illegally and probably some of you even smoke weed but think it's outrageous that prisoners get a simple thing like facebook.

Also keep in mind a lot of people in prison are innocent and/or non violent drug offenders. The prison system needs reformed, not turned into (even more than it already is) a place that breeds criminals, remember a lot of these guys are eventually released.

The stupidity of some of you on this site blows my mind.

What debt to society? None of these people did anything to society - they almost always just did something illegal that doesn't affect society and more than likely just one other human being.

People like you talk about prison and the justice system and laws as if they're all completely fair and punishment is just.

But the second you get arrested for something utterly ridiculous you'll understand that any punishment is a horrible thing that you can only think is just if you're not being subjected to it and are allowed to have biased, ignorant opinions of.

Boy would I love to see you forced to plant crops, dig ditched, clear minefields, you know.. for making a small mistake.

Well said.

Hell, a lot of the folks in there are in for something minor such as a very small amount of pot. Oh, you get caught with a roach? Thats a harsher sentence than if you killed/raped someone. Freaking bullshit, but thats another thread. :p

I agree... do they even do "manual labor" jobs anymore in the system? Prison seems to be more of a lifestyle then a punishment to way to many anymore. We need a system that puts the fear back into people to not do a crime. I like Singapore's lashing punishment. Its no wonder so few crimes are commited there.

I agree... do they even do "manual labor" jobs anymore in the system? Prison seems to be more of a lifestyle then a punishment to way to many anymore. We need a system that puts the fear back into people to not do a crime. I like Singapore's lashing punishment. Its no wonder so few crimes are commited there.

I take it you don't know what goes on in prison? State penitentiaries are pretty dangerous places to be. We are putting people in prison at such a high rate, history has never seen such a high incarceration percentage.

I take it you don't know what goes on in prison? State penitentiaries are pretty dangerous places to be. We are putting people in prison at such a high rate, history has never seen such a high incarceration percentage.

lets see, 3 hot meals a day plus all the junk food they can buy, cable TV, rec, free health care, and don't forget the free gyms. sure, that should not have anything to do with not caring if they go back.

and yes prisons are dangerous places, but they are due to the people in it. it was dangerous for them before they came more often then not.

lets see, 3 hot meals a day plus all the junk food they can buy, cable TV, rec, free health care, and don't forget the free gyms. sure, that should not have anything to do with not caring if they go back.

and yes prisons are dangerous places, but they are due to the people in it. it was dangerous for them before they came more often then not.

I agree with the idea of working while in prison, whether it is manufacturing, digging ditches or what have you. Idle prisoners tend to find ways to get into trouble.

What I would like to see is fewer people in jail, some offenses are punished to an extreme while others are slapped on the wrist. % wise, we have too many people in prison.

I agree with the idea of working while in prison, whether it is manufacturing, digging ditches or what have you. Idle prisoners tend to find ways to get into trouble.

What I would like to see is fewer people in jail, some offenses are punished to an extreme while others are slapped on the wrist. % wise, we have too many people in prison.

I agree that the system is jacked in that regards but all the bleeding hearts here is what the post was aimed at. for prison to be effective it needs to be a real deterrent. and in this day and age it isn't. the cold truth is that a lot of inmates do not mind being there. sure they would rather be out (sometimes) but they are made pretty damn comfortable. so long as this resort mentality is exercised we are going to have a large population. its becoming basically another form of welfare. If you don't want to earn a living its not an unattractive lifestyle for some

Guess you missed this part, eh?

A Tulsa man serving a 30-year-prison sentence for murdering an Oklahoma Sheriff ...

While I agree that there are way too many people being jailed for minor drug-related offenses, people like us know that no system is perfect, but people like us also know that a lot of the old disincentives like hard labor in prison should be brought back.

As with anything in life, common sense ought to be a lot more involved in how prisons are run and how the justice system works.

More losers on facebook.... waste of life, as you can obviously see.

I agree that the system is jacked in that regards but all the bleeding hearts here is what the post was aimed at. for prison to be effective it needs to be a real deterrent. and in this day and age it isn't. the cold truth is that a lot of inmates do not mind being there. sure they would rather be out (sometimes) but they are made pretty damn comfortable. so long as this resort mentality is exercised we are going to have a large population. its becoming basically another form of welfare. If you don't want to earn a living its not an unattractive lifestyle for some

sorry but the prisons being the way they are is because of the way society is.

you want to take all the things out of prison that placates them, get ready for riots and a whole lot worse stuff.

you have never had someone you know really well go to prison. It's not a fucking vacation and that's a pretty ignorant way to look at it.

Drugs and cell phones... not surprising.

I have seen so many shows with people thinking up the craziest ways to smuggle stuff in.

Usually they give it to guards, but sometimes they have people throw it over the fence as well.

One guy even had someone fly an RC helicopter to drop in cell phones and herbs on this one show

Nothing new...... they even have gang leaders still running the gangs inside the prisons because they get so many new cell phones and they can't trace them all.

You can go to walmart anywhere now and buy a damn cell phone for $29 with no name or address required... with 300 minutes and all right out of the package.

I love that some of you are probably the same ones who are rallying for the pirate bay and love downloading tons of software illegally and probably some of you even smoke weed but think it's outrageous that prisoners get a simple thing like facebook.

Also keep in mind a lot of people in prison are innocent and/or non violent drug offenders. The prison system needs reformed, not turned into (even more than it already is) a place that breeds criminals, remember a lot of these guys are eventually released.

The stupidity of some of you on this site blows my mind.

Prisons are full of innocent people... At least that's what the prisoner's themselves will tell you.

I agree there are stuff like drug possession crimes that are too harsh but I highly doubt the prison population is made up mostly of people who did harmless crimes. And even so, having inmates do something constructive isnt just about them paying back society for the harm they caused, its also about simply countering the huge costs of imprisoning them.

Prisons are full of innocent people... At least that's what the prisoner's themselves will tell you.

I shouldn't even respond to this but I can't let it go. I never said they are filled or even most, but if you can't admit that some of the people there aren't innocent I don't know what to tell you.

By no means should prison be a vacation, but most prisoners are released. You don't want them to be in a place that will breed bad actions. Also by reform I mean more supervision and forced integration, and real efforts to break up gangs within a prison. Basically making prisons safer is what I'm talking about. If they want to spend time on something like facebook I don't really mind that.

Back