Hardware on Display @ CES 2010

I didn't know Diamond was still around.

Haven't heard anything from them in years!

Zarathustra[H];1036505433 said:

Come to think of it, the last Diamond product I recall talking about was the Diamond Monster 3D, a Voodoo 1 board back in 1996...

Not exactly an interesting lineup of hardware. Card on the left looks like a HD 4850 with the red transparent plastic that I thought died with that generation.

It's certainly too short to be the elusive HD 69xx, or even a HD 68xx.

Then we've got a generic ATI Theater 750, then what looks like a lame portable speaker, then a USB to DVI (useless for gaming) or an active DP to DVI (useful for Eyefinity) converter, and then finally a sound card that looks like it's older than most of the members on this forum, with a PCI "Local" (hehe get it?) interface, a complete lack of SPDIF or other digital I/O, and a freaking game port which has been dead for nearly a decade.

Diamond can suck a fat cock , those bastards took 4+ months to respond to my 4870x2 dieing. The "new" Diamond is a joke and I really feel sorry for anyone that buys there products and expects warranty coverage.

Zarathustra[H];1036505433 said:

pretty much the shitty company they always were.

Why do the marketing hacks resort to the type of cheeseball marketing tactic of the CGI girl? Lame.

Zarathustra[H];1036505963 said:
I don't recall them having a shitty rep back in the mid 90's, but maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention...

that is when they began to earn it (burned a lot of customers). if I recall they didn't start off bad, just went down hill fast.

Why do the marketing hacks resort to the type of cheeseball marketing tactic of the CGI girl? Lame.

They can't compete seriously or stand by their product apparently without the presence of a cgi girl. I thought that was obvious. :D

Diamond can suck a fat cock , those bastards took 4+ months to respond to my 4870x2 dieing. The "new" Diamond is a joke and I really feel sorry for anyone that buys there products and expects warranty coverage.

I lol :p

guys guys........

i cant believe you all dont remember all of this stuff.

jesus i feel old now.

Wikipedia said:
Diamond Multimedia is a company that specializes in many forms of multimedia technology. They have produced graphics cards, motherboards, modems, sound cards and MP3 players, however the company began with the production of the TrackStar, a PC add-on card which emulated Apple II computers. They were one of the major players in the 2D and early 3D graphics card competition throughout the 1990s and early 2000s.
Originally founded by Chong Moon Lee and H. H. Huh (the technical designer), Diamond Multimedia was merged (after a long-time companionship) with S3, Incorporated in 1999. The merger was mostly due to S3's willingness to expand their trade from simply producing graphics chipsets to retail graphics cards. The act is somewhat similar with the 1999 3dfx purchase of STB Technologies. The merger was hoped to boost the company's overall capabilities by combining the resources of S3 and Diamond, who were quite close partners over the preceding years. Unfortunately things did not go so well. The greatly anticipated S3 Savage 2000 was a failure, and the excitedly growing 3D sound card market nearly fell apart with the loss of Aureal Semiconductor.
With these market failures, the new combined Diamond/S3 company decided to change direction and leave the PC addon-board market. SONICblue was formed. Diamond Multimedia resurfaced in 2003 after the brand and assets had been purchased by Best Data. Diamond again built expansion boards.

guys guys........

i cant believe you all dont remember all of this stuff.

jesus i feel old now.

don't feel bad, I was there for all of it. they really did start off good. but it seems that the edge 3d was the beginning of the end.

and the excitedly growing 3D sound card market nearly fell apart with the loss of Aureal Semiconductor.

I damn near cried when Aureal went bye bye.

I had a Diamond Voodoo2 8MB pci for $250. It was killah.

Sold the comp < 1 year after I bought the card and went with a TNT2 Ultra.

Back