Samsung intros IPS competitor: PLS

It looks like the IPS display she is holding is not representative of modern IPS design. You can see massive blue colour shift of the IPS unit. While this still exists, modern IPS cells have been compensating for the blue-yellow colour shift for a long time.

also, LG has a new IPS site at http://ipslcd.com/en/front/product/monitor_1.jsp. Look at that WVA monitor market share, at 94% in Q2 2010. This is definitely something to chew on for Samsung,

Not even my original IPS IDtech LCD panel (manuf. 2005, not revised in technology since 2001 and is based on the 1996 IPS technology) has those kind of bad viewing angles. Not even close. It becomes slightly blue at an angle, but nowhere near that.
Even though competition is good, a "shame on you, Samsung" would be perfectly in order :D

I was really just more interested in that Samsung is coming out with their own IPS variant.

Agree with the over the top phony marketing. The proof will be in the pudding. Heck according to Samsung PVA marketing why would they even need and IPS variant, PVA already has 178 degree viewing angles.:rolleyes:

Best description I can find on the net for PLS:

"In the PLS mode, a common electrode and a pixel electrode are provided in each pixel area with an insulating layer interposed therebetween to form a fringe electric field thereby causing all liquid crystal molecules filled between upper and lower substrates to be operated in the respective pixel areas. "

LCDs can be difficult to photograph with digital cameras, when trying to capture halos and shifts and sheen and steep angles. I wouldn't trust the photos here at all.

LCDs can be difficult to photograph with digital cameras, when trying to capture halos and shifts and sheen and steep angles. I wouldn't trust the photos here at all.

Agreed; Why would they bring out something worse than what they already have?

Not to hijack this thread, BUT the artical in the OP has this link in it: http://www.oled-display.net/samsung-mobile-display-show-30-inch-3d-amoled-tv

As discussed in other OLED threads; it is a TV not a monitor. Still it is a step in the right direction.

I too hope for better choices in the next year or two.

Dave

The gamut for the 27" and 24" PLS panels are rated as being "sRGB" gamut. If this is true, it puts PLS at a serious disadvantage to IPS for seats in Dell and NEC monitors as I said before.

Thanks for the info, very interested to hear more about these. Shame they aren't AdobeRGB compliant, but maybe the technology will improve?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, very interested to hear more about these. Shame they aren't AdobeRGB compliant, but maybe the technology will improve?

The colour gamut itself is determined by the backlight and the colour filters. An example would be the 27" IPS from LG which is wide gamut CCFL when sold to Dell, but ~sRGB WLED when packed in an imac.

So as far as I can tell, this isn't a matter of technology improving but an issue of correct design choice or alternatively a misprint on the Samsung site. I was fully convinced that I was going to see 92% or 102% on that site.

There are a lot of people who prefer sRGB over AdobeRGB. Color management is still an issue on both Windows and Mac OS - especially in movies and games. I even doubt that we will ever see AdobeRGB movies or games, so the only reason to go for AdobeRGB is Photoshop.

As far as I know it's pretty hard to get a WLED display working properly with AdobeRGB. WLEDs are great for saving energy and avoiding heat, but WLED won't be the future of high end AdobeRGB displays. For people like me who just want a decent sRGB monitor for some Photoshop, programming, text editing and gaming, the PLS technology with WLEDs will hopefully be pretty badass.

There are a lot of people who prefer sRGB over AdobeRGB. Color management is still an issue on both Windows and Mac OS - especially in movies and games. I even doubt that we will ever see AdobeRGB movies or games, so the only reason to go for AdobeRGB is Photoshop.

As far as I know it's pretty hard to get a WLED display working properly with AdobeRGB. WLEDs are great for saving energy and avoiding heat, but WLED won't be the future of high end AdobeRGB displays. For people like me who just want a decent sRGB monitor for some Photoshop, programming, text editing and gaming, the PLS technology with WLEDs will hopefully be pretty badass.

Samsung PLS is going to be relegated to backwater models no more sophisticated than the ZR24w if it ships without a WCG backlight.

Samsung PLS is going to be relegated to backwater models no more sophisticated than the ZR24w if it ships without a WCG backlight.

That is pure Win in my book. I have ZERO interest in getting a Wide Gamut panel.

An inexpensive model like the ZR24w, but with PLS would be ideal.

That is pure Win in my book. I have ZERO interest in getting a Wide Gamut panel.

An inexpensive model like the ZR24w, but with PLS would be ideal.

I would rather set the bar higher and get a really well made monitor with a close match to sRGB and good grayscale, irrespective of whether it uses a WCG backlight.

I would rather set the bar higher and get a really well made monitor with a close match to sRGB and good grayscale, irrespective of whether it uses a WCG backlight.

?? If it has Wide Gamut backlight, it won't be an sRGB monitor.

At best it will have an sRGB emulation mode, which are problematic most of the time and usually lock all settings.

Even Dells latest U3011 with supposed factory calibrated sRGB mode, screwed up the white balance and you can't change anything to correct it on the monitor as all color controls are locked in sRGB emulation mode.

Last edited:
All they need to do is be on par with Fujitsus latest 27" 1440p display, w/o the aggressivse AG coating and IPS glow and I'm sold. Had the wide gamut Samsung 275t, not a fan, hopefully its sRGB.

All they need to do is be on par with Fujitsus latest 27" 1440p display, w/o the aggressivse AG coating and IPS glow and I'm sold. Had the wide gamut Samsung 275t, not a fan, hopefully its sRGB.

Hell yes! I am right there with you.

I'm so buying one of these if Samsung manages to get a decent AG coating on their PLS panel.

Samsung has never used rough AG coating on TN or PVA, so I doubt they will switch to it.

Question is when these gonna be available.
Samsung releases its new 7 and 9 series (3D and IT hub stuff) on march.
Would this series come out same time?

Question is when these gonna be available.
Samsung releases its new 7 and 9 series (3D and IT hub stuff) on march.
Would this series come out same time?

That is really important. I stepped back on rushing to buy one, but decision should be made quickly. I could even use a TV in the meantime, but also another important question is:

Will the screen be readable in direct sunlight? This is indeed a merit of the U2410 that it is one of the best monitors I've seen with respect to this. Really better than my previous Samsung with S-PVA and even CRTs with anti-glare screens.

Can anyone find the details of these "30 key patents" anywhere? It's mentioned in many so-called "articles", but i could only find general patents for LCD panels from Samsung... Just interested in getting some technical details, rather than spending time reading stupid "articles" where fanboys discuss if display X and component Y will be implemented in the ipad4/iphone10/whatever product.. oh and if it's going to be released in February/March/April or maybe next December. :D

IPAD is by far the single biggest absolute waste of money next to just taking all your cash out of an ATM and then throwing it out the car windows while driving down the road. I guess apple can charge a preium for having this "space age technology" in their next iPad.

The already 599.99 device will now cost 799.99 and that wont even include subpar ATT 3?G.

IPAD is by far the single biggest absolute waste of money next to just taking all your cash out of an ATM and then throwing it out the car windows while driving down the road. I guess apple can charge a preium for having this "space age technology" in their next iPad.

The already 599.99 device will now cost 799.99 and that wont even include subpar ATT 3?G.

I hear you; not even an SD slot. Get real!

Slide 5 shows the SA650/CA650 as being MVA, so PLS is only available in the SA850. It will be pricey especially at intro. It is kind of a drag that they are not making a 30 inch model.

Maybe Samsung's implementation will, but overdrive doesn't have to add lag. Plenty of TN and IPS monitors have overdrive without lagging, and the ones that let you turn it off/on show no difference in lag either way.

Samsung buffers frames for overdrive on S-PVA panels because VA panels have very slow gray-to-gray response times, with some transitions exceeding 50 ms. Samsung's c-PVA monitors don't buffer frames for overdrive, and there's a lot of ghosting when dark colors are involved. Even IPS without overdrive has much less ghosting, so hopefully PLS won't need to buffer frames for overdrive.

However, I worry Samsung might add lag for other reasons, like for the 10-bit processing.

Slide 5 shows the SA650/CA650 as being MVA, so PLS is only available in the SA850. It will be pricey especially at intro. It is kind of a drag that they are not making a 30 inch model.

Yes I would much rather a 30", unfortunately 30" 16:10 won't give them the profit margins they get on the much smaller 27" 16:9. :(

I had a 30" Dell 3007-HC, for about a week. I loved the size/resolution, but the IPS white glow at 30" is quite bad, then there were the typical LG poor screen uniformity issues, the strong AG coating and the neon colors(not an IPS issue, just a wide gamut one).

If they actually manage to deliver a solid image stage like IPS, but without the strong AG, Uniformity issues or white glow, they will have a clear winner, but all of that remains to be seen.

they released their first monitors with S-PLS panel, great.

What do you think about this new tech?
Is it right that it merge the PROS and CONS of both IPS and PVA technology?

I had a 30" Dell 3007-HC, for about a week. I loved the size/resolution, but the IPS white glow at 30" is quite bad, then there were the typical LG poor screen uniformity issues, the strong AG coating and the neon colors(not an IPS issue, just a wide gamut one).

I'm a new Dell U3011 user and admit that the white glow and AG coating took a getting used to, as well as the drop in contrast from my S-PVA Dell 2709W. The screen uniformity has improved as newer 30" models have been released but still isn't perfect. I have a very slight increase in red on the bottom of my display but I've gotten used to that as well.

All of the negatives are completely offset for me by the incredible real estate and the immersion of 30" gaming. I can't go back to a smaller display.

I actually like the look of wide gamut displays like the U3011, as the colors just seem to be more vibrant. But it isn't a good fit for everyone.

The Samsung PLS technology looks promising, and at least it will provide some competition to LG.

I'll believe it when I see it. Samsung are notorious fibbers ....178 degree viewing angles on their shifty PVAs. 8ms response on things that blur more than old school non overdrive IPS. etc.

Why the need when their PVA is already the best?;)

Some predictions:
This will be only 256K color
This will be slower than IPS
This will have same viewing angles as IPS and finally Samsung can legitimately claim 178 degree viewing angles.
This will have less lag than IPS due to 6 bit color and less post processing needed.

Last edited:
Back