World's First 9" Touch-Screen Ebook Reader

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS unveils the Eee Reader DR900 with a reading area 2.25 times the size of 6-inch ebook readers. Those who love to read on the go will rejoice at the arrival of the new ASUS Eee Reader DR900. With a 9-inch screen that offers 2.25 times the reading area compared to 6-inch ebook readers, this sleek device is ideal for reading material ranging from novels to comic books — and everything else in between.

With the Nook Color now out at 7" with an IPS display in it, and the root that just happened about 48 hours ago, e-Ink readers are going to die a quick death... soon. I can imagine this Asus one coming in at $350, maybe even a few bucks more, and I can't even begin to imagine buying one at this point considering just how awesome the Nook Color is shaping up to be just in the past few days.

I'm very glad I never bought a brand new Kindle (got a used original model for $60 a few months ago but sold it for a profit when it got boring) or any other e-Ink type eBook reader. My Wife wants a Nook Color and since it's turning into an actual Android tablet with all the trimmings very fast that's what I'm going to get.

With the Nook Color now out at 7" with an IPS display in it, and the root that just happened about 48 hours ago, e-Ink readers are going to die a quick death... soon. I can imagine this Asus one coming in at $350, maybe even a few bucks more, and I can't even begin to imagine buying one at this point considering just how awesome the Nook Color is shaping up to be just in the past few days.

I'm very glad I never bought a brand new Kindle (got a used original model for $60 a few months ago but sold it for a profit when it got boring) or any other e-Ink type eBook reader. My Wife wants a Nook Color and since it's turning into an actual Android tablet with all the trimmings very fast that's what I'm going to get.

I think the e-ink ones will be around for a while where you will see more universal tablets as the next step up. Personally the screen is so much easier on my eyes on an e-ink.

Anyway I look at this asus thing and wonder who's book store they are going to use? If they would partner with barnes and noble or amazon this could be worth a look.

you forget what an e-reader is for - reading books. e-ink has the best display for reading for long periods of time. Go ahead and spend more for a color android ipad that'll do a ton of stuff. It won't do e-reading as well. battery life won't even compare at all.

My wife wants an e-reader for christmas so I've been doing a good bit of research recently. Pretty sure I'm going to be getting her a 6" kindle. She wants to read on it - not use a netbook (which we already have).

and this new 9" screen the article is about? screw that. She wants something ultra portable that'll easily fit in her purse.

Anyway I look at this asus thing and wonder who's book store they are going to use? If they would partner with barnes and noble or amazon this could be worth a look.

I think this is the biggest question I have about this product. Have other readers in the past been partnered with Amazon or B&N? I had thought that their e-book markets were exclusive to their own readers.

I wonder how long before someone comes in and says that the ipad was a touch screen reader first? :D

IPS isn't the answer to everything you know. e-ink is better for ebooks.

Better in that respect is 100% subjective 'cause I don't prefer it for reading eBooks or any materials at all for that matter, especially PDFs, and for every person that likes e-Ink there's someone that doesn't. What a dichotomy...

"Better" is always relative in such situations.

Yeah...fucking no. I'd pay far more for an eink display than LCD when it comes to actually replacing a book. Try relaxing and reading a book on a LCD for several hours. It sucks.

Don't think you know what you're talking about.

Better in that respect is 100% subjective 'cause I don't prefer it for reading eBooks or any materials at all for that matter, especially PDFs, and for every person that likes e-Ink there's someone that doesn't. What a dichotomy...

Yup, it's all relative and for every person that doesn't like e-Ink there's someone that does.

That being said, I think it's still a bit early to proclaim that "e-Ink readers are going to die a quick death... soon"

I personally enjoy e-Ink for my reading sessions, I get enough eye strain from sitting in front of a monitor all day.

Yeah...fucking no. I'd pay far more for an eink display than LCD when it comes to actually replacing a book. Try relaxing and reading a book on a LCD for several hours. It sucks.

Don't think you know what you're talking about.

Oh, well, that's it then - your opinion basically stomps mine completely to shit and back. And here I was thinking that since I've been using such devices for nearly 15 years from way back when they were basically PocketPCs with backlit LCD screens, what do I know considering I've owned dozens upon dozens of such devices. I mean really, how silly of me to think that my daily experience of using such devices for 1.5 decades must mean I was doing it wrong the whole fucking time.

</sarcasm>

Again, subjective = what works best or better for you does not make it best or better for everyone else.

If can easily, clearly, and quickly display layered/full color PDFs, then I'm sold. I'm still waiting for an e-reader that I can use my RPG PDF books on, that isn't a full tablet PC.

I think there two camps regarding eBooks or, any portable electronic device for that matter. The first group wants their reader to do everything, browse the web, text, phone, music, game and, read books. The second group wants their reader to read books.

I'm in the second group and I would ask how many of the books you read have color pictures or, any pictures at all?

Given the mention of root and the Android functionality, I'd hazard a guess that Bahamut is in the first camp and is looking for a multifunction computing device rather than an eBook reader.

Knyte:

Take a look at the Nook Color and you may fall in love.

Magnus:

It's not about it being color, that's a secondary bonus for the most part. 1024x600 is a superior resolution for reading documents - not just eBooks - like PDF files which I read with extreme frequency and don't feel like lugging around a > 9" device or a laptop to do it. It's impractical even on my HD2 as well with a 4.3" 800x480 screen. 7" is the sweet spot, and that resolution just nails it almost perfectly.

The "books" that I read on such devices are almost always technical in nature and actually tons of them have full color illustrations of all kinds, hence me stating I'd never bought an e-Ink device like the Kindle in the past (I got the original one for $60 for the Wife and mucked around with it as an mp3 player, honestly). It just doesn't do enough for me as I sit firmly in the first of the two groups you mentioned.

Price, price, what is the price? Less than $175 I'm in, more I'll wait to find it on [H]ot Deals. This is the ereader I've been waiting for but I'm not going to pay a premium to get it.

and for every person that likes e-Ink there's someone that doesn't. What a dichotomy...

Yup, it's all relative and for every person that doesn't like e-Ink there's someone that does.

I'd say the ratio is more like ~7000 for e-ink to ~350 against judging by the ratings.

You want a device to read technical PDF or RPG comic books the e-reader may not be for you. An e-reader should be the best thing for reading books and nothing else. That's it's job. You want something that will do more? get the right tool for the job.

The Kindle does not have a touch screen but because so it lasts 3 weeks on one charge.

This thing (and the nook) will not even last 5 days without needing to be charged.

Also, the Kindle now has a built-in browser now (to go along with the FREE International 3G wireless service)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...90957&creativeASIN=B002FQJT3Q&Amazon_Kindle3G

Read up, the Kindle is the hands down best as of now.... esp for the price.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
meh, ill stick to real books thank you. If I want to read stuff on the go, I'll take my laptop. I dont understand why so many people these days absolutely NEED their phone or their life cant go on. get a f****in life and experience it. Hate to break it to you guys, but life is not in a little electronic device

meh, ill stick to real books thank you. If I want to read stuff on the go, I'll take my laptop. I dont understand why so many people these days absolutely NEED their phone or their life cant go on. get a f****in life and experience it. Hate to break it to you guys, but life is not in a little electronic device

Wait, what? One e-book reader can hold multiple books and can last for weeks on a charge. Carrying a couple of books can get heavy...fast. Carrying a laptop can work as a book reader, but it's also relatively heavy and has limited battery life. Not saying that you're wrong to prefer real books or laptops, but there are some definite benefits to an e-Ink ebook reader.

As for your phone/little electronic device rant, I don't know how it relates to the e-book topic.

Wait, what? One e-book reader can hold multiple books and can last for weeks on a charge. Carrying a couple of books can get heavy...fast. Carrying a laptop can work as a book reader, but it's also relatively heavy and has limited battery life. Not saying that you're wrong to prefer real books or laptops, but there are some definite benefits to an e-Ink ebook reader.

As for your phone/little electronic device rant, I don't know how it relates to the e-book topic.

well I guess you're right about it being a better choice over a laptop

my rant still stands though

well I guess you're right about it being a better choice over a laptop

my rant still stands though

Yea, I get where you're coming from for your rant but I don't understand what prompted it. Nobody in this thread has said that they bring their e-book reader everywhere they go or that they can't go on with life without it...hence my comment.

I only read one book at a time but I love my kindle because its lightweight and easy to use. Its a pain in the ass to read Atlas Shrugged in the bathtub using my paperback copy. I'm not spending another $20 for a digital copy though.

Yea, I get where you're coming from for your rant but I don't understand what prompted it. Nobody in this thread has said that they bring their e-book reader everywhere they go or that they can't go on with life without it...hence my comment.

I was in a bad mood after reading the thread about wi-fi brain fying and the texting in class

I was in a bad mood after reading the thread about wi-fi brain fying and the texting in class

Ah, the wi-fi brain frying and wireless paranoia is always good for a chuckle.

Raekwon: at least replacing a $20 book is cheaper than replacing a kindle :)

Back