Federal Agency Chooses Desktop Virtualization

HardOCP News

[H] News
In a white paper titled, Implementing New Hardware-Based Information Security Capabilities, the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) outlines its planned shift to desktop virtualization using Intel® vPro™ technology and Citrix® XenClient™. DIA’s goal is a secure, cost-effective client environment for its defense analysts. The white paper states that new hardware-assisted virtualization technologies appear promising in their ability to provide high levels of performance and security and greater management ease.

This makes a ton of sense, and the VD tech is where it needs to be for this to happen.

I see we are back to host/client again :)

Well, at least we aren't stuck with 80 X 25 displays.

I agree that VM is better than it ever has been. Locally. Doing this over a network, well, I'm not convinced.

one of our departments has deployed a Citrix VDI solution already. Supporting a couple hundred users all over the state. All the VMs are hosted in a central location. They've had great results with the Citrix WAN Accelerators. Many of their sites have very slow links, but have not had issues with that.

I'm currently doing some very limited testing with it.

Citrix may very well be the next microsoft...

You may be right. Lately the words "Wait.. I can do this with Citrix in 10 min" have been uttered by me more than once. I hated Citrix at first, but I've slowly been turned.

As far as running VM's for client machines. I'm not convinced, wouldnt this mean I need 2 IPs for every machine?

You may be right. Lately the words "Wait.. I can do this with Citrix in 10 min" have been uttered by me more than once. I hated Citrix at first, but I've slowly been turned.

As far as running VM's for client machines. I'm not convinced, wouldnt this mean I need 2 IPs for every machine?

depends on how it's setup.

If you use a PXE boot then no.
If you run the Citrix online plug-in on a host OS (WinXP/7/embedded, Linux, etc) then, well, yes. Well, it would only be using an additional IP when somebody is logged on to a virtual desktop on that desktop.

I see we are back to host/client again :)

Well, at least we aren't stuck with 80 X 25 displays.

I agree that VM is better than it ever has been. Locally. Doing this over a network, well, I'm not convinced.

Really? I think the performance of VMs over a network is actually pretty good.

Back