AMD starts cheating on Call of Duty 7 Black Ops

phk

n00b
cod7.gif

AMD have been caught cheating with Radeon drivers again, no effects of spark and smoking
22.gif

Last edited:
Is this a valid comparison though? Did they have the same settings? Was it tested on the same machines?

Notice the placement of the airplanes. They took screenshots of different parts of the same scene, for one. The Radeon 6870 screen was taken after the 460 screenshot.

Also, look at the right of the 6870 screenshot...Notice the thick cloud of smoke as compared to the NVidia?

to me it looks like ascreen shot from 2 different time

NVIDIA taken more into the explosion
ATI taken at the start thus less detail

but will follow to see what happens, so far it seems like nothing but an NVIDIA fanboi trying to claim NVIDIA is better and ATI sucks.

OP didnt even post a link in original thread,makes me think you prefer NVIDIA.......

This isn't definitive yet. But it's interesting. We need more research. I don't have a way to grab a specific frame from the game from both ATI and NV at the moment, anyone else care to do a little sleuthing?

to me it looks like a screen shot from 2 different time

both are at the same time, there is a video in the second link.

but like indokyne mentioned, it might be an issue with the 5 series driver. google translate is not really usefull :(

If it's from 2 different times then why does the rest of the scene match? 1/50th of a second isn't going to make such a huge difference in the smoke and helicopters at least, surely.

The video is pretty damning about there being omissions from the scene, but I'm not convinced the omissions are significant enough to be called cheating.

Could be two different settings levels in each run. But if what they show is the same settings then it is leaving things out for the sake of FPS. I sure hope not. :(

this is sounding like bullshit here. in the 6870 shot you can see the sparks and smoke more pronounced on the right where the Nvidia shot is centered. that and the helicopters placement make be think that we are not looking at the exact same thing. until I see something that doesn't look bogus I can only assume fanboism here. That or some creditable sources that says there is an issue.

not to mention that both nvidia and AMD can pretty well max out this console port. this would have to be a stupid thing to cheat on anyways.

I don't even have this game. To the people who do:

Fire it up on your AMD GPU and see if you see smoke and spark effects similar to those on the GTX 460. If you don't see anything like what the 460 screenshot is rendering, then AMD obviously isn't rendering it. Something that obvious can be detected by any player.

A few gameplay vids on youtube with (specifically) the HD5770 already show the same thing: AMD lacking the extra sparks (extra, because there are some there, just not all...)

The video is pretty damning about there being omissions from the scene, but I'm not convinced the omissions are significant enough to be called cheating.

i agree on both points. but again, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice.... fooled but cant fooled again.

This is now the death of all video card companies.

Now that people cheat, hacking will never be the same

LONG LIVE 3DFX!!!

Its PCOnline, one of the worst source you could possibly find.

Didn't they also accuse nVidia cheating in HAWX too? LMAO...

They just want to make their site more popular I guess..

I just realized something...

Does COD Black Ops have PhysX support? If so...maybe this is a PhysX implementation?

Its PCOnline, one of the worst source you could possibly find.

Didn't they also accuse nVidia cheating in HAWX too? LMAO...

They just want to make their site more popular I guess..

Now that was Kitguru, and NVIDIA replied explaining what happened. Wasn't a cheat.

I just realized something...

Does COD Black Ops have PhysX support? If so...maybe this is a PhysX implementation?

No PhysX in the game whatsoever. It's probably just a bug or an overly aggressive general optimization they made by default (not an intentional "cheat"). Given that it's in the public domain they'll probably fix it. Whether they do or not should give some insight into whether it was intentional or not.

Last edited:
So no sparks displayed in a questionable screenshot automatically equates to "CHEAT!"

That's his first and only post at [H] so I'm guessing he signed up just for that and won't change his mind regardless of any evidence. The Youtube videos you linked do indeed show sparks/particle effects from explosions on the 6870 so I'll be waiting on other sources for an explanation.

Nothing to explain really. My links clearly prove that this is nothing but BS. The evidence is right there (in HD!) I wouldn't be surprised if teddytao and the TC are the same person. Don't be surprised if you see this crap appear on other respected forums.

IMHO, this is a pure old-fashioned case of trolling. Nothing to see here.

Please watch the videos I posted, and then edit your post.

EDIT: Try again guys! Borderline trolling, if not flat out.

Hell, I'm bored. Here's a vid of the 5770 playing black ops. Start at the 3:30 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1486EiNdJk

Watch at the 7:50 mark in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS7pNvCbib0

Watch at the 4:20 mark in this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6ILdabHh9I&feature=related

Now, can someone please lock this topic. Thanks!

Actually in both those videos it's pretty clear that the sparks are lacking... it's the same minimal sparks (just a couple sparks) that you can see in the OPs screenshots.

There was an issue just like this one in a previous call of duty game.. I'm not sure if that ever got resolved but there is definitely substance to this, especially given my memory of this exact issue in a previous game from the same franchise/engine. But who knows if it's just a bug they never fixed. It was something similar with the smoke or sparks from grenades in the previous game.

Last edited:
The original post states, and I quote:

Regardless, here you go. 460 gtx.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo_7nvFohuk

Edit: BTW how are the sparks displayed in that first video "minimal?"

I wasn't referring to that one.. just the second video, which is exactly the same scene as the one you posted. It's possible something is dfiferent about the case shown in the first video so they render differently there..

Is this another Nvidia orchestrated campaign ? Didn't they pay their developers enough to disable eyecandy on AMD cards ?

Look at it this way: what is AMD's motive to cheat in a game that a fucking 5670 could probably max out at 1920x1080?

It is obvious that those are from different scenes. it looks like the retardness of the nv fanboys haven gone up as the the nvidia offering went down.

The sparks look visually different to me, but again like I said it's probably more likely a bug than a cheat. It's not even clear that this buys AMD any performance. It might be worth renaming the exe to a bogus name to see if the sparks come back.

+1

I'm going with bug on this one.

I've noticed weird textures and bugs in some games. It's something to do with that "Enable Surface Optimisation" setting asfar as I can tell. It's broken.

Back