Has anyone managed to get System Shock 2 running in Windows 7?

Fully [H]
I'm trying to get System Shock 2 to run on my Windows 7 x64 machine, but I can't even get it to start.

I don't really want to play the game on my Pentium 3.

Does anyone know how to get it running?

you need to run it as admin. install to something outside of program files.
look at the previous url and pick up some mods and the ss2 mod manager.
This is my config
ss2x.gif

I have had zero problems getting it running on any of the newer Windows platforms. Just have to remember a few key tips and tricks and even in the last few months I've played through the game cooperatively with a buddy.

If the aforementioned steps didn't help you, what kind of error are you getting?

I forgot about SS2tool and the mod manager.

I'll try those and post back. Thanks for the help everyone!

Always great to see people enjoying this game to this day. It's much better than a lot of games with DX9/10 graphics, and it wasn't a console port! :)

Always great to see people enjoying this game to this day. It's much better than a lot of games with DX9/10 graphics, and it wasn't a console port! :)

I remember when you replied to my 6 year threads at head-fi when I was initially asking about stuff to play on my Pentium 200 and V2 SLI setup.

:p

SS2 was painful to play on that thing.

A fellow on here helped me get a copy of the game about a year ago and man it is one fantastic game. With all the mods folks have made over the years the graphics aren't even that terrible. I even got some AA running via nHancer when I had an NV card.

I'm really hoping that this gets released on GOG.com someday, last time I checked it was the #1 most wished for release by far.

I'm really hoping that this gets released on GOG.com someday, last time I checked it was the #1 most wished for release by far.

I don't understand why we don't have either SS on Steam or GoG. Thief 1 and 2 would be nice to have on Steam as well.

I don't understand why we don't have either SS on Steam or GoG. Thief 1 and 2 would be nice to have on Steam as well.

I'd love to see those titles for sale via DD. The NOLF games, too.

SS2 you can actually download, in case you lost or sold your disk. There are instructions on the mod site. I wish it was on steam, i'd toss them some bones....

if you cant get really old games working in win7 try running an 95/98/xp VM in vmware workstation 7. the latest version has much better graphics performance and support. I have successfully run deus ex in an xp vm on a simple 2.4 dual core with 4gb ram. it runs fine and performs well

Also, be aware that you need to set your processor affinity in the task manager. This sets multi core processors to one single....otherwise you will crash.

Easy to do when something is running. When should we be doing this?

edit: Never mind I guess. I disabled HT and all but one core in the BIOS. Still crashes immediately with System Shock stopped responding. Oh well. Experiment over for now. I will read more of the site and mess with it. I suppose it reminds me to clean up some of the stuff on boot and what not. With the one core, it actually felt less than uber for a second on boot! :p

Last edited:
Use that mod manager things - works wonders. If you have an NV card get the nHancer utility and force AA and it makes a world of difference.

Back