EASY ANTIGLARE REMOVAL STEPS

the_real_7

[H]ard|Gawd
( WARNING THIS MOD CAN DAMAGE YOUR SCREEN , AND I DO NOT ENCOURAGE TO SOMEONE NOT WILLING TO TAKE A RISK OF DAMAGING THEY'RE SCREEN )

I know there a big debate around here about glossy and matte screens , to each there own but i figured if i want a nice screen without matte Im have to mod it , some guy did it in another forum to a DELL Dell UltraSharp U2711 and compared it to a Apple LED Cinema Display , I was like wow like let me try this on a couple of screens before I ruin a 500 screen.
This is only for true modder as it not hard but take a lot of patience and about 5 hours of your time. Obviously your warranty goes out the window . is it worth doing ? I would say yes if ant-glare just isn't your cup of tea

Step 1 Take casing apart and get lcd screen out
IMAG0257.jpg

Step 2 Put a damp power towel or rag on top the lcd and let the anti-glare get moist for maybe 1 to 4 hours
IMAG0248.jpg

Step 3 Pull from the one of the corner with a blade and make sure you only have the anti-glare cover , pull slowly if a piece doesnt come up soak some more for another hour " DON'T RUSH"
IMAG0250.jpg

IMAG0249.jpg

Step 4 put screen back together and enjoy your result if all came out good
IMAG0258.jpg

IMAG0253.jpg

IMAG0251.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k7/chronicse7en/Extreme%20pc
/Antiglare%20Removal%20Mod/IMAG0255.jpg

IMAG0255.jpg

IMAG0256.jpg

PRACTICE FIRST VERY RECOMMENDED :D

Last edited:
I remember a thread on some other forum where half of the people who attempted this on their Dell U2711 ended up with vertical cracks on the polarizer. Apparently the AG coating sheet is very important for protection of the polarizer as well which when left exposed is easily damaged by cleaning etc. Not something I would do on a $1000 display personally :)

I remember a thread on some other forum where half of the people who attempted this on their Dell U2711 ended up with vertical cracks on the polarizer. Apparently the AG coating sheet is very important for protection of the polarizer as well which when left exposed is easily damaged by cleaning etc. Not something I would do on a $1000 display personally :)

Definitely not trying a 1000 screen yet but for sure im going to order UltraSharp U2311H and take the risk , Im a modder so im willing to take the risk , but i wouldn't advise your local joe to try

nice work man, enjoy! thanks isp was fun , something new to play with

Yeah, it's likely that your polariser is going to be screwed soon.
no i doubt nothing ever hits my screen , Ive had my nec 20wmgx screens forever and screens are like new , and they would be pretty much the same but they just a have a this sheet of plastic for protection

Definitely not trying a 1000 screen yet but for sure im going to order UltraSharp U2311H and take the risk , Im a modder so im willing to take the risk , but i wouldn't advise your local joe to try
If you do mod a U2311H, would you mind posting before and after pics (if it's possible to capture)? I'm curious to see how much difference there is :)

Did you even try the monitor on afterwards?

In this thread a bunch of guys tries this on their Dell U2711 monitors:
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=878149

The initial results are awesome (well, that is if you happen to like reflections) and there are some gorgeous pictures there.

Don't remember how many that tried it but out of all who tried it I don't think anyone got perfect results. Those that didn't get their screen completely ruined still had some residue left over that they couldn't clean off (this was something that they didn't even notice at first and was discovered later in the thread). And many had problems with dust (I guess that all of the ones that had their monitor long enough after the process for it to even collect any dust had problems with it, was a while since I read through it).

The title "EASY ANTIGLARE REMOVAL STEPS" is just wrong and encourages people that are not really prepared to take the loss. Just look at the thread above how many of the ones that tried or thought of trying it was way over their head.
Anyone thinking of doing this needs to be aware of the issues and I'd recommend anyone that have even the slightest of interest of doing this to read through the whole thread above, I might be wrong on some details but the source is right there for you to read.

It might be easy to remove the antiglare. But it is much easier to ruin the display in the process.

Also, the bare panel is quite sensitive to static electricity (do not think for a second that it's comparable to your usual devices such as a graphic card (which you could most likely pet your cat with without any issues (not recommended though)) - a lot of people on sites such as lumenlab have killed their displays with static electricity.

Last edited:
brumwald I read the thread you put and yes some guy had a problem with glue and I heard of other encounters of people getting graininess , and i also heard of many people with great results in other forums . . . but like I said it is a mod "at your own risk " just like watercooling is, overclocking is , today more people do than they did 8 years ago. overclocking with water was unheard of and no one was willing to risk losing they're pcs , i did that then to and had people advising against it also but Ive never had a leak in 10 water-cooled system of mine since then. . . Its just personnel preference if you wanna do at your own risk ! ! but i understand what you are saying about encouraging people and will advise of the risk at the head of the forum . . . " antistatic " well that one thing we all take a risk with our pc's cause i haven't seen to any people use a antistatic bracelet in any overclocking forum , damn I better keep my cat away from my room

Last edited:
Well, there seem to be 4 people in that thread who permanently damaged their displays and on page 8 it is explained why:

Antiglare is basically the top layer plastic like sheet that has been chemically or mechanically etched directly on the plastic itself giving a frosted diffused appearance. This layer protects the PVA sheet below it which is actually the polarizer. Below the polarizer is another clear sheet which is adhered to the LCD. Both top (antiglare) sheet and bottom sheet protects the polarizer from graining (splitting) like strands.

What I'm leading to is that removing the top sheet opens up the risk of damaging the polarizer from heat, wet cleaning etc.. The structure of polarizer are like straight strands that are kept in it's form by both top and bottom supportive sheets. Otherwise they begin to split then you will see graining throughout the polar film and eventually light will peer through them and show on projection. This damage to the polar can only be remedied by removing the entire (sandwiched) sheet and replacing with another which is a delicate process.

Exposed polar has a high tendency to 'grain'. The structure of polar are strands oriented one way (Linearly) which are then sandwiched between two films. One film is clear the other processed antiglared or just clear as I mentioned earlier of gloss polar films. These films protect the polar strands from loosing its film like structure otherwise 'graining' occurs like aged wood after time especially to heat and cold. This graining appears like diagonal lines on projection which is actually your lamp punching through the LCD and then through the cracks of the grain...

Even those who have successfully removed the AG film admit it might be a problem in the future. So yeah, a very risky mod for sure.

Ive updated with warning guys ;)

Here's a guy who did with a dell u2711 . . . I wanna try with a couple of dells before I take a project this big yet , Im thinking smaller like the Dell u2311h .

p1030610.jpg

The AG film has a protective function. Perhaps after doing this you should apply a thin plate of glass to the surface somehow.

The AG film has a protective function. Perhaps after doing this you should apply a thin plate of glass to the surface somehow.

really good idea actually , like a piece of car tint with the lightest shade , puting it on would be hard just a delicate procedure

really good idea actually , like a piece of car tint with the lightest shade , puting it on would be hard just a delicate procedure

Well ideally the glass should be of sufficient quality as to not impact the colour output of the monitor. As soon as that happens, you've actually created a mod, not just damaged your monitor.

so tempted to try this on my 3007wfp-hc ><

The AG coating is not really that bad, I've lived with it for 2 years, but I'm a bit bored and want to try improving the monitor :p

Last edited:
that thread with "half the people with broken monitors" was 2/4 people who had tried it, and they admitted they rubbed the glue too much to get it off, not like they did it right and it still damaged the screen.

brumwald I read the thread you put and yes some guy had a problem with glue and I heard of other encounters of people getting graininess , and i also heard of many people with great results in other forums . . . but like I said it is a mod "at your own risk " just like watercooling is, overclocking is , today more people do than they did 8 years ago. overclocking with water was unheard of and no one was willing to risk losing they're pcs , i did that then to and had people advising against it also but Ive never had a leak in 10 water-cooled system of mine since then. . . Its just personnel preference if you wanna do at your own risk ! ! but i understand what you are saying about encouraging people and will advise of the risk at the head of the forum . . . " antistatic " well that one thing we all take a risk with our pc's cause i haven't seen to any people use a antistatic bracelet in any overclocking forum , damn I better keep my cat away from my room

I understand what you mean about overclocking video cards and stuff, but monitors aren't made to be modded. This is always an "at your own risk" project.
Video cards today are designed with overclocking in mind straight from the manufacture. Many provide OC software now that does it automatically.
If I needed a monitor without AG, I would buy the Apple 27" monitor.

Last edited:
If you don't read the first title header and you break your monitor than its your own damn fault.

Its not a mod that a noob would be willing to attempt (meaning someone without basic working knowledge of computer hardware) so the people that are dying to remove there anti-glare coating are likely those that understand the risk.

I'd love to remove the anti-glare coating from my Dell U2410 but if I screwed it up and broke it I wouldn't be able to forgive myself.

If you don't read the first title header and you break your monitor than its your own damn fault.
The red header text wasn't added until people commented on how the thread title could mislead people into thinking this mod is easy and problem free.

I'd love to remove the anti-glare coating from my Dell U2410 but if I screwed it up and broke it I wouldn't be able to forgive myself.
If you read the thread linked by brumwald, people there said they actually managed to send their modded but broken monitors back to Dell for replacements. They obviously didn't mention anything about the AG removal, but instead, some just said their screen was flickering. Clearly Dell's RMA testers aren't too stringent.

The red header text wasn't added until people commented on how the thread title could mislead people into thinking this mod is easy and problem free.

If you read the thread linked by brumwald, people there said they actually managed to send their modded but broken monitors back to Dell for replacements. They obviously didn't mention anything about the AG removal, but instead, some just said their screen was flickering. Clearly Dell's RMA testers aren't too stringent.

LMAO. Now you're tempting me.

Its not a mod that a noob would be willing to attempt (meaning someone without basic working knowledge of computer hardware) so the people that are dying to remove there anti-glare coating are likely those that understand the risk.

thanks for clarifying . . . its just like your saying plain and simple

Very true but no mod is easy and problem free hence why us enthusiast created the word , we are willing to lose to gain . . . i run my i7 4.5 night and day not to many people to go past stock

this is a mod yes you can lose your screen if you do want to attempt I would recommend you do like me take like 3 screens and practice first, if you do succeed successfully , find a screen do it

Last edited:
thanks for clarifying . . . its just like your saying plain and simple

Very true but no mod is easy and problem free hence why us enthusiast created the word , we are willing to lose to gain . . . i run my i7 4.5 night and day not to many people to go past stock

this is a mod yes you can lose your screen if you do want to attempt I would recommend you do like me take like 3 screens and practice first, if you do succeed successfully , find a screen do it

Keep us updated on how this screen goes, I want to see if anything develops over the course of a week or so.

That also happens to be fraud.

I have a question about this mod.

After you took off diffuser is one side smooth? e.g. glued side?

Has anyone just tried rubbing compound to smooth out facing side followed up with polishing compound then wax?

My idea is to smooth it out without taking it off and damaging screen and as long as inner in smooth it should work. I am good with paint and body and can turn almost any surface into glass - a monitor should not be different as long as you keep it cool like all plastic needs to be. This would save the polarizer since protection is still there and give smooth surface. Translucence is the only question.

Please reply. I have a Dell I can try it on immediately.

Last edited:
Back