The Future Of Gaming

Can't wait to "play" that!!! In all seriousness, I don't think gaming will get the point where it is all casual. The hardcore AAA games still make a ton of money, and when the masses get tired of casual games, we'll see less of a glut.

Happening to games a lot, they're becoming so easy they require no effort, and online games have the skill normalized so that bad players can win occasionally with no effort, for example TF2 crit system.

Laughable really.

.. and second chance in COD, I've been playing playing Black Ops online over the weekend (overall great game!), but when you kill opponent(s) and one of the pulls out a pistol and shoots you in the back.. That is not cricket.

Edit: Is it me or is he steering the wheel without moving his hands? I like the idea of what is possible with some of this new technology. I wouldn't mind playing a FPS where you actually hold a [plastic] rifle and get to aim, duck & dive with it. Why not get a little exercise while gaming? You could also add some dumbbells while you're playing and driving game and then you doing bicep curls without knowing. Or for a cyclist who doesn't want to spent large amounts of money on a high end turbo trainer, a cycling game (they've started adding heart rate monitors for consoles). That's just a few I can think of, the next few years will be quite interesting!

PS: We may of laughed at star wars kid, but now it seem he was ahead of his time - a visionary.

Last edited:
.. and second chance in COD, I've been playing playing Black Ops online over the weekend (overall great game!), but when you kill opponent(s) and one of the pulls out a pistol and shoots you in the back.. That is not cricket.

Edit: Is it me or is he steering the wheel without moving his hands? I like the idea of what is possible with some of this new technology. I wouldn't mind playing a FPS where you actually hold a [plastic] rifle and get to aim, duck & dive with it. Why not get a little exercise while gaming? You could also add some dumbbells while you're playing and driving game and then you doing bicep curls without knowing. Or for a cyclist who doesn't want to spent large amounts of money on a high end turbo trainer, a cycling game (they've started adding heart rate monitors for consoles). That's just a few I can think of, the next few years will be quite interesting!

PS: We may of laughed at star wars kid, but now it seem he was ahead of his time - a visionary.

I think you missed it. the whole point of the video is that he came in 3rd place without ever moving. the car just cruises around the track by itself, and the rubber band ai keeps it 'competitive'.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Happening to games a lot, they're becoming so easy they require no effort, and online games have the skill normalized so that bad players can win occasionally with no effort, for example TF2 crit system.

Laughable really.

Rule one of modern anything = No offending anyone.

Losing is bad and people will get upset and not want to play anymore then they wont buy the next one. Therefore it has to be possible for the lowest common denominator to win, with ease.

Somehow we need to make challenging gaming popular again. TV tournements? something. (just no more console tournements, that defeats the point). Or make popular challenging games.

Monster hunter used to be quite a skill based game. You had to be accurate and press a load of buttons to do anything. There is no way of sledge hammering the harder monsters into submission. You can't grind up levels as there is none. AN unskilled player can grind low level monsters to make basic equipment, but it's not possible to get higher level stuff as the parts are all from the tough monsters who murder you if you act stupid. The toughtest monsters need 4 skilled players together to defeat. I liked playing more than any other PS2 game, because it was difficult so gave me a challenge. It got terrible reviews from reviewers who all complained about the control system and the difficulty.

People want to play a short little game, get the acheivement and feel good about themselves and go to bed happy. Its probably not because people aren't competitive, its because their too competitive so don't want to be a loser. With competitive games youre left with a small percentage of happy winners and a pile of losers. They could spend time and become a winner, but when there are 100s of other games to go to that require no effort to be one, so why bother.
That way we can all get the hardcore extreme champion acheivement and be happy...:(

/weirdass rant

That made my soul hurt, tutorial mission or not.

By the way, did anyone else see the guy (TheDude12x12) who was so pissed about the video that he posted like 3 straight comments raging about it (only one was a reply)? WAY too big of a COD fanboy. He was going ape shit over it lol.

Wow. I remember back in my day you had to actually play the game to beat it. Suckers!

In my day, we only had 3 lives! Once you lost them, you started over from the beginning! None of this check point bullshit! None of this health regen malarky! Unless you knew the cheat code... :)

Rule one of modern anything = No offending anyone.

Losing is bad and people will get upset and not want to play anymore then they wont buy the next one. Therefore it has to be possible for the lowest common denominator to win, with ease.

Just read that and all I could think was Mario Kart Wii.

That hardly looks like "auto-driving"... It looks more like the game trying to make the best out of what is still a slightly unreliable and imprecise technology (it's amazing, but try using it and telling me it's that precise...) while taking into account the fact most people probably wouldn't be used to it and suck anyways (so it helps them out). I.E., the game sticks to the course (roughly) but the finesse and precision is by you controlling it.

Looks like a casual game for the Kinect done right IMO.

That hardly looks like "auto-driving"... It looks more like the game trying to make the best out of what is still a slightly unreliable and imprecise technology (it's amazing, but try using it and telling me it's that precise...) while taking into account the fact most people probably wouldn't be used to it and suck anyways (so it helps them out). I.E., the game sticks to the course (roughly) but the finesse and precision is by you controlling it.

Looks like a casual game for the Kinect done right IMO.

So, a racing game in which you can never once turn the "wheel", completely let the game auto steer, slam into walls at a 90 degree angle and simply bounce off in the right direction (and lose little speed to boot), all the while still remaining competitive in the race (taking 3rd)... is a game done right?

Wow, casual gaming is even more boring than I thought then. What's next, a FPS with auto aim and auto fire that walks by it's self to the check point, but makes you hit a button to open doors (you know, to keep the player involved)? Sounds like a best seller to me! :D

So, a racing game in which you can never once turn the "wheel", completely let the game auto steer, slam into walls at a 90 degree angle and simply bounce off in the right direction (and lose little speed to boot), all the while still remaining competitive in the race (taking 3rd)... is a game done right?

Wow, casual gaming is even more boring than I thought then. What's next, a FPS with auto aim and auto fire that walks by it's self to the check point, but makes you hit a button to open doors (you know, to keep the player involved)? Sounds like a best seller to me! :D

He did only come in third place. I suppose you have to do something right to come in first. If it is for "casual" gamers, then that's a good game. You don't feel like you suck and quit playing since you didn't come in last. So, when the sequel comes out, you might buy it.

imo, motion peripheral devices is not true gaming. maybe i'm old school, but i recall gaming tournaments requiring a lot of skill and precision. games like super mario bros, street fighter, etc require precise input and mastery.

games like guitar/band hero, ddr, wii fit, etc are more like party/social activities and should be categorized as such.

He did only come in third place. I suppose you have to do something right to come in first.

Doesn't look that way to me. Looks like the AI players are designed to stay close to you, not too far behind and not too far ahead. Had he not been frozen in ice at the end, he would have scored first place, and being frozen at the end like that looks like it would have netted even someone attempting to play properly 3rd place as well.

99.99999% of you are missing the point.

This has nothing to do with 'making games to easy'. It has 1000% to do with Kinects shitty control system and how it doesn't work. They have to make the game do most of the work for you to make up for the crappy controls.

This has nothing to do with 'making games to easy'. It has 1000% to do with Kinects shitty control system and how it doesn't work. They have to make the game do most of the work for you to make up for the crappy controls.

Except that's not what it is, because it doesn't have auto-drive if you're standing. Bizzarre? Maybe. Badly designed game? Perhaps. Problem with Kinect? Almost definitely not.

imo, motion peripheral devices is not true gaming. maybe i'm old school, but i recall gaming tournaments requiring a lot of skill and precision. games like super mario bros, street fighter, etc require precise input and mastery.

games like guitar/band hero, ddr, wii fit, etc are more like party/social activities and should be categorized as such.

Truth!

This has little to do with Kinect but rather limitations on the software, in this case Joy Ride. Joy Ride in general isn't really a great game to judge Kinect from, better ones are Kinect Sports or Dance Central.

And despite what so many 'want' to believe, motion gaming (like Kinect) is here to stay. Its only going to get better with time, being as its software based. Most everyone I know who has played Kinect has really enjoyed their time, however in this case I believe the auto steering was put in place to compensate for software issues with steering while sitting down in Joy Ride.

I would gather its more or less a side effect of being a launch title than a major drawback to Kinect in general. I would suspect that 1 year from now we'll see games coming out that do not suffer from software limitations that launch titles do.

But all jokes aside guys, motion control is here to stay. Its on the PC (head tracking), its on the WIi, its on the Playstation and its on the Xbox. Its here, it'll be here tomorrow but hopefully like most other technologies get better with each generation.

Are people this insecure (and threatened by motion gaming) that its come to this? Real games are competitive tournaments from decades past? What next? The best gamers are the ones who have always been gamers?

edit. Also, one could argue that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31mLySefcvk (skip to 1:37) is more competitive than a large majority of other online games. Really competing, off the couch, no button pushing but actually moving around, having quick response, and real athletic skill etc...

Last edited:

To be fair, I only watched the first bit of the video. But if that's true, OK, I reneg, it is fail.

That's not being "old school", that's being closed-minded. I suppose you'd hate a holodeck because it doesn't "require precise input and mastery"?

Between this and the other gaming thread, I'm coming to the conclusion that "gamers" are the ones killing the industry. Just keep playing your "true games" and let the rest of us, you know, ENJOY OURSELVES like games are supposed to.

Between this and the other gaming thread, I'm coming to the conclusion that "gamers" are the ones killing the industry. Just keep playing your "true games" and let the rest of us, you know, ENJOY OURSELVES like games are supposed to.

Some people play games for enjoyable casual experience while others play to be competitive or for a challenge. I cringe every time someone brings up the argument that games shouldn't be challenging because they are for enjoyment. Sure there's a place for that but it sure as hell doesn't encompass gaming as a whole. Mind telling me why so many people enjoy Starcraft 2 ladder where one side HAS to lose to the other with no sugar coating or consolation prize? Losing typically isn't enjoyable, I can tell you that from experience, yet I love SC2.

Oh and I feel I should clarify. There are people who would belittle the casual gamers just because they think they are somehow better. Screw them. The reason I'm a bit ticked off by casual gaming is that it is heavily influencing the hardcore genre lately. I never played CoD back in the day, but I'm pretty sure its earlier versions could be considered hardcore. Now, not only is it pretty damn casual, but most realistic shooters these days try to copy it, including the casual feel. That's why I resent casual gaming atm.

Some people play games for enjoyable casual experience while others play to be competitive or for a challenge. I cringe every time someone brings up the argument that games shouldn't be challenging because they are for enjoyment. Sure there's a place for that but it sure as hell doesn't encompass gaming as a whole. Mind telling me why so many people enjoy Starcraft 2 ladder where one side HAS to lose to the other with no sugar coating or consolation prize?

Oh and I feel I should clarify. There are people who would belittle the casual gamers just because they think they are somehow better. Screw them. The reason I'm a bit ticked off about casual gaming is that it is heavily influencing the hardcore genre lately. I never played CoD back in the day, but I'm pretty sure its earlier versions could be considered hardcore. Now, not only is it pretty damn casual, but most realistic shooters these days try to copy it, including the casual feel. That's why I resent casual gaming atm.

So the industry's evolving. You guys sound just like all the College kids on Facebook who whined when it was opened up. The service evolved. So is gaming as an industry. That means it needs to be easier. I frankly like easier games. If you're good, you can still do just as well at them. If you're not good, you have a chance. Why do you think there are no new Counterstrike players anymore? I tried getting into it, and was just raped into oblivion. That's not fun to anyone but those on the top.

And despite what so many 'want' to believe, motion gaming (like Kinect) is here to stay. Its only going to get better with time, being as its software based. Most everyone I know who has played Kinect has really enjoyed their time, however in this case I believe the auto steering was put in place to compensate for software issues with steering while sitting down in Joy Ride.

I've got no problem with motion gaming. If it's fun, engrossing and challenging, I'll probably play it, regardless of whether or not it uses a controller. I've got a problem with boring and unchallenging games. Motion gaming, while initially fun, is fairly gimicky though. Most people enjoyed the Wii when they first got it too, but quickly grew tired of it. As a result the Wii on average gets less regular play time than any other console (and most Wii owners who also own another console say they play it far more often than they do the Wii). It's basically just something you pull out when people come over. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but lets not try and turn it into something that it's not.

Are people this insecure (and threatened by motion gaming) that its come to this? Real games are competitive tournaments from decades past? What next? The best gamers are the ones who have always been gamers?

It's not about being insecure. And it's not about wanting it to go away. And it's not about being elitist about our "club". It's a worry that the principles used in creating these motion controlled social games will creep into other genres, which some would argue is already taking place (case in point, the COD: BO video posted earlier). I just don't want a game to play it's self. Whether it's due to deficiencies in the technology or because of a fear of damaging people's fragile self esteem, is kind of a moot point. The end result is the same, which is a boring, mindless gaming experience.

I have no doubt that some games would be AWESOME with motion control... if they were done right. If they were challenging. If you actually had to be precise and posses some skill to be good. But I haven't seen any yet, and with the inherent inaccuracies and limitations of the tech at this point, I doubt I will any time soon. As of today, its just jumping around in front of your TV with a camera(s) vaguely (and somewhat inaccurately) interpreting your motions to control a game. Until it's something more, I'll just go play some basketball, head to a go cart track or hit up a paintball course for my motion based gaming. :D

So the industry's evolving. You guys sound just like all the College kids on Facebook who whined when it was opened up. The service evolved. So is gaming as an industry. That means it needs to be easier. I frankly like easier games. If you're good, you can still do just as well at them. If you're not good, you have a chance. Why do you think there are no new Counterstrike players anymore? I tried getting into it, and was just raped into oblivion. That's not fun to anyone but those on the top.

Pssh! That's quitter talk! ;)

Hey now, Guitar Hero is a fun game, and some of them have been challenging enough to be entertaining (GH3 was the best IMO, the DL content actually had some fun/hard songs... expert mode of course). The easy songs and any difficulty but expert, I agree it's just a party/social thing. It's also fun if you can get online vs someone else who is really good, then you can actually get some competetive matches going which makes it more fun.

The future of games is

1. People buying games Day One and not receiving a finished product, instead they are paying full retail to beta test a game that might or might not be patched to what it was intended to be like once it was finished.

2. Pay to play with DLC: you'll pay retail price for a game, and then chunks of it will be left out, that are ALREADY on the disc that you've ALREADY paid for, you'll have to pay to unlock the DLC on the disc just to have a full completed version of your game.

3. I see a future full of more shitty games than great ones, I see a wasteland of buggy games that require many patches to fix, or that might not get fixed at all.

wait

all that is happening or has happened already.

I started playing counterstrike first about 1-2 years after source came out. I got my ass handed to me for the first year or so and I just recently got to the point (300 hours played) where I can pick it back up after not playing in a long time, and not be completely aweful. I'd say CS is prolly one of my favorite games at this point, though I rarely play it anymore, and I'd say alot of my frustration comes from never having gotten an up to date game that is comparable to that or BF2.

Anyways, I'd say your point is mostly irrelevant since ranking systems have become widely used. I've got almost 300 LoL games played and an almost perfect 50% average. I also started out in bronze in SC2 and now I'm platinum getting close to diamond, almost the entire time staying close to a 1:1 W/L ratio. The real issue is that most people don't want to put in the effort to feel like they are playing these harder games to their fullest. That's fine, but I'd like to have a game that I can put some competitive effort into. When my friends talk about playing a competitive shooter these days, the newest one that really comes to mind is TF2, and we've been there and done that about as much as we want to. I hope the future of gaming gives us something better than what we've been getting lately. I sure as hell appreciate SC2 for doing it.

The future of games is

1. People buying games Day One and not receiving a finished product, instead they are paying full retail to beta test a game that might or might not be patched to what it was intended to be like once it was finished.

2. Pay to play with DLC: you'll pay retail price for a game, and then chunks of it will be left out, that are ALREADY on the disc that you've ALREADY paid for, you'll have to pay to unlock the DLC on the disc just to have a full completed version of your game.

3. I see a future full of more shitty games than great ones, I see a wasteland of buggy games that require many patches to fix, or that might not get fixed at all.

wait

Funny how its happening and people are still buying into it.

Judging by the look of the game isnt it a safe assumption that this is a childish game in which case the control help would probably be a good idea?

If this was a game that was geared almost entirely toward adults then I would be pretty shocked.

It doesn't matter if the games are made too easy or the controls are worse - this kind of gaming is what the children of this generation will grow up with. Gaming will become regarded as a casual passtime, like watching sitcoms on TV.
"Hardcore" gamer will only be a term to describe that you spent a lot of extra time getting achievements and gaining new levels/ranks, not that you spent a lot of extra time in a game without it rewarding you, because you actually like the game, its setting, the challenge, etc or because you are trying to hone your skill and become the best in MP

Nothing is going to replace the mouse and keyboard for shooters. The duck hunt gun didn't start a new trend. And for people that want to feel a gun, they go out to the range or they go play paintball.

By the way, did anyone else see the guy (TheDude12x12) who was so pissed about the video that he posted like 3 straight comments raging about it (only one was a reply)? WAY too big of a COD fanboy. He was going ape shit over it lol.

modern-warfare-2-fanboy.jpg

Probably this guy.

The future of games is

wait

You've been playing Fallout New Vegas haven't you?

Anybody that has a wii can tell you that gimmicky games are crap.

This doesn't surprise me at all.

Back