crossfire giving me trouble

cj3waker

2[H]4U
I bought a 5870 last spring and by itself it ran sooooo smooth. With crossfire however I have had nothing but problems. 10.5 has been the only driver that worked for me, I tried everything through 10.10d didnt have much luck. I tried 10.11 today and went to go play some bad company 2. one of the big release notes of this patch was that crossfire no longer became disabled after task switching on this game, well id be fucking nice if they had it enabled in the first place. gpu 1 100% gpu 2 0%. sweet ati you guys are morons. anyone have this working?

5970 owner. Tried every release of catalyst since 10.2 and everything after 10.5 always disabled 2nd GPU on BFBC2. I play using 10.4/10.5, but I get regular CTDs. It's very frustrating.

dual GPU issues like those are the reasons i will never go back to dual GPUs when i upgrade my gtx 275's.

I was running crossfire for 3yrs+, then went to a sli set up and have never had issues... Sucks to be you guys!

dual GPU issues like those are the reasons i will never go back to dual GPUs when i upgrade my gtx 275's.

But you have Nvidia. I don't recall problems with my dual 7800 GTXs, dual 8800 GTXs or my dual GTX 480s.

I'm not going to argue that it's definitely as butter-smooth as a single card with a single GPU solution would be, but Nvidia SLI does scale very well.

I was running crossfire for 3yrs+, then went to a sli set up and have never had issues... Sucks to be you guys!

Yeah, I don't recall issues either, and certainly not anything that still wasn't fixed a half-year later.

LOL at thread title. Not sure if that's gonna fly. OP will get flamed in 3.2.1.

Edit, Thread title edited. OP is safe now

Last edited:
I was a huge Crossfire critic with the issues I had few weeks back, since I got a working 2nd card, it has been really awesome on the most part. Crysis looks and plays phenomenal and whatever way you swing it, you cannot get this level of performance off a single GPU.

Now all I want is a full driver release that supports the 68xx series which isn't a hotfix.

Never had any problems with my 5850's in crossfire, at least in games that I play. Had a few problems getting eyefinity to work right with a couple games and had a issue with installing 10.11's which caused my system to blue screen on boot into Windows, which was fixed with a complete uninstall of the catalyst drivers and reinstalled the new ones.

I have not played BC2 much in the past couple months, but fired it up with the new drivers to test and was getting close to 60fps average in campaign mode at 5760x1200 with highest details, 2x MSAA and 16xAF w/HBOA off, using Fraps. Metro 2033 I have to drop it down to 5040x1050 to be able to do high details, 16x AF and dx 11 at a solid 45fps which seems respectable at that resolution. Both games show 99% utilization for both cards using afterburner.

The only issue I've had with crossfire thus far has been with COD:BO...no multi gpu support. Other than that every game when benchmarked with 1 vs. 2 cards has shown crossfire to scale at LEAST 70%.

Carmack was basically talking about this shit back in 2008.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=532&type=expert&pid=3

Most games are developed for the console and ported to the PC. Consequentially, they are optimized for single GPU. In addition, most consumers that do happen to be PC gamers own a single mainstream GPU.

I'm moving back to single GPU in both my computers the next time I buy.

Sigh, I was about to get another 5850 and Crossfire, but I kept hearing reports about issues. This doesn't bode well :(

ran a 5970 from 10.1 to 10.8, the only problems with BF BC2 was the loading time for me, never had issues with disabling gpu 2.

I'm assuming you installed the catalyst profiles?

I've been using Crossfire with my current cards from a year ago, and only 3 games had some sort of issues. Singularity didn't scale well (I fixed it with RadeonPRO tool), Need for Speed Hot Pursuit shows a blank screen with Crossfire and I had to disable 1 GPU to play it properly, plus forcing Anti Aliasing will simply crash the game as soon as it starts. Splinter Cell conviction runs odd no matter if I have Crossfire enabled or disabled, always stays the same. Such game with old engine seems to be so CPU bound even for a Quad Core like mine, but overall, most games runs very well (Crysis runs very smooth at Very High settings and 8x FSAA at my lowly resolution of 1280x1024)

yeah it sucks, my title got changed? dont even remember what it was, ati flaming apparently

I bought a 5870 last spring and by itself it ran sooooo smooth. With crossfire however I have had nothing but problems. 10.5 has been the only driver that worked for me, I tried everything through 10.10d didnt have much luck. I tried 10.11 today and went to go play some bad company 2. one of the big release notes of this patch was that crossfire no longer became disabled after task switching on this game, well id be fucking nice if they had it enabled in the first place. gpu 1 100% gpu 2 0%. sweet ati you guys are morons. anyone have this working?

5970 owner here no crossfire related issues yet. Using the latest 10.10e drivers from AMD.

Also I did flash my bios to sapphire 5970 OC. That could have fixed some issues peope have been having with the 5970 ( http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=185918 ). Check to see if you need to flash your bios for your videocard or maybe for your motherboard.

Back