Sweden Seeks Warrant for WikiLeaks Founder

HardOCP News

[H] News
Swedish prosecutors have received permission to seek an international arrest warrant for the WikiLeaks dude. Not sure why they need an international arrest warrant, isn’t this guy all about freedom of information? That’s all the authorities say they want from him. ;)

But the Swedish Prosecution Authority said it wanted Assange brought in for questioning and asked the district court in Stockholm to declare him detained in absentia. The declaration is a preliminary step to requesting an international arrest warrant against him, probably to be issued through Interpol.

Not sure why everyone has a boner against this guy.

It was obviously a setup with the girls, have you ever seen the dude? :eek:

Sensationalist at its finest... Steve, I would've expected better.

A Stockholm court's ruling could lead to an Interpol arrest warrant for Julian Assange, who is being sought for questioning over allegations of rape and other sexual offenses.

Suuuuuure they would have treated him the same way if he was a regular guy, suuuuure..

Let it die already:
However, even the substance of the allegations, as revealed to the press through unauthorized disclosures do not constitute what any advanced legal system considers to be rape; as various media outlets have reported “the basis for the rape charge” purely seems to constitute a post-facto dispute over consensual, but unprotected sex days after the event. Both women have declared that they had consensual sexual relations with our client and that they continued to instigate friendly contact well after the alleged incidents. Only after the women became aware of each other’s relationships with Mr. Assange did they make their allegations against him.

WikiLeaks is one of the best things that has happened to global freedom of information in a long long time.

I'd like to nominate that guy for a good old-fashioned court hearing followed by a firing squad out back behind the courthouse.

I'd like to nominate that guy for a good old-fashioned court hearing followed by a firing squad out back behind the courthouse.

On what basis? An accusation? I sure hope not.

You know, there are some things our government should be keeping secret in order to protect us. Someone who just releases information willy nilly with no thought to the consequences on the lives of others deserves to be punished to the fullest extent.

Do you think foreign allies are more or less likely to share intelligence with us as a result of what he's done? Granted, we should give the same or worse treatment to the leakers as we give to him.

WikiLeaks is one of the best things that has happened to global freedom of information in a long long time.

If you believe information should be "free" kindly post your name, address, social security number, bank account information, and the contact details for everyone you know.

Or do you think some information shouldn't be publicly released?

You know, there are some things our government should be keeping secret in order to protect us. Someone who just releases information willy nilly with no thought to the consequences on the lives of others deserves to be punished to the fullest extent.

Do you think foreign allies are more or less likely to share intelligence with us as a result of what he's done? Granted, we should give the same or worse treatment to the leakers as we give to him.

Oldie - I agree, I was talking about the accusation on hand here - the warrant and not the whole military leak and such. We're on the same page here.

trust me, if he released info about Area 52, I'd read up on it, for sure.

trust me, if he released info about Area 52, I'd read up on it, for sure.

Haha, I was gonna say, why couldnt he discover info about aliens and stuff.....something the public actually would be interested in.

Ya know.... that's a good way to look at it. You're so right Oldie

The wikileaks thing, to me, is mostly bs anyways. The chopper video was totally taken out of context. (the guys were hanging RIGHT NEXT TO guys with RPGs.... I saw the whole ENTIRE video before it happened on wikileaks and all that)

Oh, and the children in the "wikileaks chopper video" ---- My answer is always, WHY DO YOU HAVE YOUR CHILDREN IN A WAR ZONE.... PICKING UP GUYS THAT JUST GOT SHOT?!?!?!

The Anti-American people always think the chopper guys were killing children, and that is just total nonsense bs.

Oh, and the children in the "wikileaks chopper video" ---- My answer is always, WHY DO YOU HAVE YOUR CHILDREN IN A WAR ZONE.... PICKING UP GUYS THAT JUST GOT SHOT?!?!?!

The Anti-American people always think the chopper guys were killing children, and that is just total nonsense bs.

Hmm, because a government invaded your country over oil and turned it into a war zone were previously it was not a warzone but you had a dictatorship. Peace under a dictatorship or war zone over oil /w a 'democracy' somewhere in there.

The assumption generally is you can send children on a battlefield to help retrieve wounded soliders as what kind of animal would purposely harm children for providing medical aid/relief? ...Oh right.

Oh so we're nominating people for our little fantasy genocide now? Whitewash trials... why even bother with that?

If you believe information should be "free" kindly post your name, address, social security number, bank account information, and the contact details for everyone you know.
Silly strawman argument that demonstrates a lack of comprehension. There's individuals' private information, then there's information exposing corruption and thuggish, inexcusable behaviour by governments and corporations (Worldwide, might I add; no one's picking on your precious homeland). Publishing one type of information is in the interest of many, while publishing the other is to the benefit of no one and to the detriment of the individual. They aren't equals. The government is not an individual. It should be held to the highest standards imaginable and have its every move and decision scrutinized by the electorate.

You know, there are some things our government should be keeping secret in order to protect us.
Sleaze doesn't protect you from anything. What on earth could the government possibly be protecting you from by witholding information and/or actively lying? Will your head explode?

Next you'll whinge about 'big government' or some such contradictory crap.

Someone who just releases information willy nilly with no thought to the consequences on the lives of others deserves to be punished to the fullest extent.
Ah, that old chestnut. I guess that the Pentagon was lying when it said that the release of those war documents hadn't actually had an effect on the lives of their informants to date. I guess if you say something enough times it'll become true. Something like that.

WHY DO YOU HAVE YOUR CHILDREN IN A WAR ZONE.... PICKING UP GUYS THAT JUST GOT SHOT?!?!?!
Right, it's best not to help wounded people when you come across them. Didn't a man just get awarded the medal of honor for making a similar decision?

Anti-American
Taking it personally? People are disgusted by the behaviour of (frankly) most of the government and some of the military. Those people aren't insulting you.

the chopper guys were killing children, and that is just total nonsense bs.
Yeah, neither of the children died.

I was going to say burn him on a stake, but firing squad would work too.

lol@people who disdain big government and then affirm its power to take liberty in what it discloses to you. I think this calls for a conservative workhorse of a question: "If you have nothing to hide, what are you afraid of?"

Right, it's best not to help wounded people when you come across them. Didn't a man just get awarded the medal of honor for making a similar decision?

Taking it personally? People are disgusted by the behaviour of (frankly) most of the government and some of the military. Those people aren't insulting you.

Yeah, neither of the children died.

No no, I have literally seen and read tons of comments from obvious foreign, hateful people that want everyone in America to die because of stuff that wikileaks posted specifically out-of-context. Me dead, YOU dead, everyone here dead... just because we're American and they see these falsified, lie filled jihadist videos.

There is 2 different versions of the video... one that shows the entire video uneditted -- and another editted one that makes Americans look bad, and SOUND like bad and heartless fools on the mic when attacking via helicopter and Predetor (see wikileaks)

I studied it for myself.... The wikileaks guy acts like he is Robin Hood, when really he's kind of like the "kid who cries wolf."

Lol, this thread is brimming with piping hot fail.

Freedom and Liberty doesn't nullify your right to privacy. In fact, they reaffirm it.

But on the flip side, Freedom and Liberty doesn't give the government, public organizations, or anyone aside from a private individual the right to protect privacy aside from the individuals privacy itself. In fact, it does the opposite.

In any nation based on democracy, the nation and public organizations have a responsibility to be transparent and forthcoming with any information that might affect anyone. (Which is all of it).

And it gives the public the responsibility of knowing and understanding all of that information.

"Our liberty depends on the freedom of the press, and that cannot be limited without being lost." - Thomas Jefferson

Or do you think some information shouldn't be publicly released?

I very much agree but I have to think this isn't as clear cut here. didn't he also release evidence of an army cover up as well? Would I have released all the info? no. would have released enough to show that they covered up a major F###up? yup. So as much I would like to see the guy lynched I can't really support it. esp with what sounds like these BS charges they are investigating. if even half of what the defense says is true it should be stopped where its at. and if any of charges are legit they had better have real prof as no one is going to believe that the leaks were not the reason.

Because the war zone happens to be your home.

Because the war zone happens to be your home.

And those children happen to be frequently issued rifles right alongside insurgent forces. No matter how small the trigger finger may be, they still have the capability to tell a gun to kill.

For those acting like this Wikileaks idiot is some kind of "free information hero", I would ask this. He sees himself as some kind of "watchdog", but who appointed HIM to decide what is and is not abuse? How does anyone know he's not "editing" anything, or that the full story is being told? Who is watching the watchdog in this case? He seems pretty eager to release information that can get Americans killed, so doesn't that smack of an agenda? Trusting someone like this to handle classified information is appointing the fox to guard the hen house. Whoever fed him the classified information should be found, tried, and put before a firing squad for treason, and if even ONE person of ANY nationality dies because of these leaks he should be tried and executed as a terrorist himself. You aid a terrorist, you ARE a terrorist.

I will say this to all you bleeding-heart idiots that worship this fool. War is ugly, and it's supposed to be ugly. That's why you don't want to fight it unless you have to. That's what stays your hand instead of going off half-cocked. As long as you people keep crying over civilian casualties and insisting on having the media out there writing the next horror story, wars will continue to just be drug out with no hope of victory. THAT is a crime far worse than what you're all crying about. Why? Here's why. You prolong a war and the civilian casualties are going to keep happening and happening and will be far worse than if you got in, kicked ass, and got out. You fight a war to win and fight it quickly, destroy the enemy, and get the battle done with and you only have the initial casualties instead of those lost to guerrilla tactics. Reporters should stay out of the wars so the people back home don't have to see what the soldiers have to deal with, and so the soldiers can do what they have to so the job gets finished quick. As long as you spineless ninnies keep hamstringing the military when they need all the support they can get and insist on screwing up what should be easy wins, YOU are responsible for the people who die unnecessarily, soldier AND civilian. YOU are the ones with blood on your hands. These wars have been going on for nine freaking years because of f!@#ing rules of engagement that are absolute insanity, and they wouldn't BE like that if people like YOU weren't such spineless cowards that throw a foot every time a bomb lands in the wrong place, or a school gets blown up because some towel-headed freak that doesn't give a shit about those kids sets up a mortar position there and draws fire so that it can end up on the CBS evening news about how AMERICA blew up a bunch of kids instead of about how a terrorist used a bunch of children as meat shields. You play right into their game because you're all fools! Nobody wants to go to war, at least nobody sane, but settling for anything less than absolute victory... that is the worst kind of war crime. You make everyone's losses to be in vain, and I hate you for it. :mad:

There, I've said my bit. Rage at it if you want, but I'm done with this thread.

Phoenix333, you have no idea what you're talking about, and you should STFU.

Phoenix333, you have no idea what you're talking about, and you should STFU.

I agree with this.

Julian Assange is no hero, by any stretch of the word. But he is a member of the press; the press being anyone who publishes news-worthy information. Thus, if you believe in the Liberty that Thomas Jefferson outlined the the Constitution of the United States, or almost any other first world democratic process leading to the rights of humanity, he has every right to publish anything and everything he pleases. To say anything otherwise is extremely hypocritical of what you appear to stand for.

1. I've skimmed over most of everything wikileaks publishes. None of it is anywhere sensitive enough to endanger any Coalition Forces. In fact, even in the popular Iraq reports that they're running now, all of the details and location reports on operating bases, recon locations, and incident specifics have been edited into oblivion, rendering them nearly unreadable.

2. Julian Assange and wikileaks is based out of Australia. Thus, it's absolutely asinine to accuse him of treason on any grounds.

3. You're waaaaay too emotional about something you know nothing about. Coalition forces, and this goes double for US forces, hardly take a step without their finger on the trigger. There's a quote that ties in with this idea. "It's better to be judged by 6 than carried by 12". A deployed soldier's main objective, despite any orders he has, is to stay alive and keep his fellow soldiers alive. And they will do it without hesitation. Wikileaks, the nightly news, and public opinion isn't going to keep us from pulling the trigger when our lives are in danger. That's just how it is.

"It's better to be judged by 6 than carried by 12".

You got that backwards by the way. 12 pallbearers would be nuts. Typically 3 on each side of a casket.

Should be: It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Otherwise I agree with everything else you said

My only real comment on this is that our government is not mature enough to have secrets. They have not earned the right in my eyes. The majority of our elected and god help me "selected" officials are greedy selfish poorly educated children who run around farting and pointing the finger at other people.

If the wikileaks bozo ever had a valid campaign, it died the moment he released names of informants. That only hurts the innocent and it does not help the innocent in any shape or form.

If wikileaks wanted to do everything possible to prevent allied troops from shooting into mixed crowds they would do everything to protect the informants (who know where the real enemy is), rather than putting the informant's lives and their family's lives at risk of retaliation.

You guys jumping the horse might want to read this:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/10/16/wikileaks.assessment/index.html

"Gates: Leaked documents don't reveal key intel, but risks remain"

"a senior NATO official in Kabul told CNN that there has not been a single case of Afghans needing protection or to be moved because of the leak. "

But hey why let the facts ruing a good old fashion rant.....

Exactly... the 90,000+ documents aren't really much at all. And to stupid taliban they really don't mean much.

BUT... this did generate a lot of hate towards our country in general, as well as our troops over there. It's cool for "freedom of speech", but at the same time doing so you have to "think of the consequences of your actions." <<<--- sadly, this seems like a dying way of thought I think :rolleyes:

"a senior NATO official in Kabul told CNN that there has not been a single case of Afghans needing protection or to be moved because of the leak. "

When the terrorists saw that on their TV they're probably like "Thank Allah! We don't have to read the rest of these damn documents!"

I really hope you're right and that I'm wrong, but I thought that I read (it's been a while) some names did slip out though.

I really hope you're right and that I'm wrong, but I thought that I read (it's been a while) some names did slip out though.

Yes for a while there was some speculation in the media that some people were in danger, unfortunately as we know speculation often is passed around as facts. As we can see the DOD came to the conclusion that nothing happened.

Personally I would like to see the DOD/Pentagon be more involved (i know they were invited by wikileaks to help with data redaction) and assure that such documents are properly released to insure maximum transparency while maintaining the secrecy of things that really should be kept secret such as active operations, people in the field etc...

You got that backwards by the way. 12 pallbearers would be nuts. Typically 3 on each side of a casket.

Should be: It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Otherwise I agree with everything else you said
Lol, thanks for catching. Too bad I can't edit it! Bleh. :p

Yes for a while there was some speculation in the media that some people were in danger, unfortunately as we know speculation often is passed around as facts. As we can see the DOD came to the conclusion that nothing happened.

Personally I would like to see the DOD/Pentagon be more involved (i know they were invited by wikileaks to help with data redaction) and assure that such documents are properly released to insure maximum transparency while maintaining the secrecy of things that really should be kept secret such as active operations, people in the field etc...

Hey, do you have a link about the DOD's conclusion?

Hey, do you have a link about the DOD's conclusion?

From the cnn link I posted....

"The online leak of thousands of secret military documents from the war in Afghanistan by the website WikiLeaks did not disclose any sensitive intelligence sources or methods, the Department of Defense concluded."

unless they posted incorrect information...

Back