Microsoft Cites Strong Growth at Shareholder Meeting

HardOCP News

[H] News
Speaking at Microsoft Corp.’s annual shareholder meeting today, Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer highlighted the strength of the company’s execution over the past year and increased momentum for Microsoft’s cloud solutions, and he expressed strong optimism for Windows Phone 7, Kinect for Xbox 360 and the company’s other consumer products in the upcoming holiday season.

It has been a good year for MS. Windows 7 is high quality and selling strong, Kinect has already sold one million and it well on its way to selling millions more, and the XBOX 360 is profitable enough to begin recouping the investment made for the original XBOX. Zune's music subscription service has a bright future, with XBOX 360 and WP7 thrown in the mix.

The only enormous risk, which no one knows rather or not will be successful, is Windows Phone 7. I want one, if only to have Zune on my phone, but the market share left over by BlackBerry, iPhone, and Android will make squeezing into WP7 stupidly difficult. And then there's Nokia. (bleh) Gone are the days were some phones sucked while others sucked a little less. Now, everyone has a kick ass phone. iPhone 4, Samsung Galaxy S Pro, BlackBerry Torch... but WP7 doesn't have a kick ass phone at it's launch. They're all very good and "fast enough," but I doubt they pack the graphical punch of the TI chip in Galaxy or the "in-house" chip in the iPhone 4. To WP7's credit, the Snapdragon with gpsONE module provides a superior GPS antenna over the Samsung / TI's chip.

Give me a Samsung Galaxy S Pro with WiMAX and WP7 and I'd jump on it immediately.

Don't forget about the Sony Ericsson, IRSmurf, at least I think they're still out there and still have a a kinda entity in the market.

Back