do 30" 2560x1600 LED lit IPS exist?

Not that I'm aware of. 30" IPS monitors are firmly in the "high end" and "graphics design" markets. Well, for that backlight uniformity and gamut matter and CCFLs still do the best job overall. An array of RGB LEDs could potentially be better but it would be exceedingly expensive, and actually use more power than CCFLs. Normal edge lit white LED displays are not as good.

So thus far, nope.

I agree with the above. Edge lit LED IPS would be a downgrade in image quality versus high end CCFL.

Right. But I have a back-lit led 55" TV and it is nice and cool (90W) ... too bad there's no 30" with the high resolution.

I'd like a second NEC3090 ... but it just pumps out so much heat in the summer!!

There was at least one at NewEgg at one time, but I am not a fan of Samsung LCDs at all:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001266
It's still available online elsewhere, but almost $4K new! Geez. About the same wattage as the NEC, no point, except that it probably has a better black than the NEC.

Last edited:
Right. But I have a back-lit led 55" TV and it is nice and cool (90W) ... too bad there's no 30" with the high resolution.

I'd like a second NEC3090 ... but it just pumps out so much heat in the summer!!

There was at least one at NewEgg at one time, but I am not a fan of Samsung LCDs at all:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001266
It's still available online elsewhere, but almost $4K new! Geez. About the same wattage as the NEC, no point, except that it probably has a better black than the NEC.

The two modern CCFL based 23" IPS and PVA models both use about 25 Watts of power at half brightness. Current advances in power efficiency are partly both changes in backlight but also advances in the LCD technology itself.

CCFL actually has more natural precise colors compared to LED. I would say manufacturers should skip LED and go right into OLED backlit, if they want to do it right.

Last edited:
The two modern CCFL based 23" IPS and PVA models both use about 25 Watts of power at half brightness. Current advances in power efficiency are partly both changes in backlight but also advances in the LCD technology itself.

I just measured 101W lowest (0-72.7%) and 144W for 100% for my 3090 ... unfortunately the bulb doesn't scale down past the 72.7% point for color stability reasons (it's digital brightness reduction after that).
And just for fun, the 2490 is 39W at 0%, and 75W at 100% ...

Last edited:
Back