Build a Burning Red Laser From an Old PC

anyone else notice after lighting the 3 matches he then puts and holds in hand in the laser? wonder how long before it starts to burn you.

anyone else notice after lighting the 3 matches he then puts and holds in hand in the laser? wonder how long before it starts to burn you.

His hand wasn't at the focal point...

ya and those diodes are like 250mW... when you start getting into the watts range, then things get interesting....

like my 40W qswitched Nd:YAG over here... will burn a hole through a 2x4 :D

Yeah, okay, I have an old computer with a dead power supply. What now?

Buy/find the parts that aren't listed in the "The components you need to salvage are: the power supply, DVD Burner (16x speed or more), and the heatsink," list.

It's a cool project, but getting my hopes up by saying "all you need is an old PC" is kind of annoying.

actually any DVD burner will have a red diode in it, you need a 16x if you want a 250mW diode

what do you use as a backsplash to prevent catching the floor board/walls on fire?

Maybe something metal? Pizzastone? (Non-reflective)Cookware?

My thread on deathstar lasers at http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/thick-laser-beams-57818.html is [H]arder. :p

http://www.laser-man.co.uk/2006/arctos/Image000141.jpg

http://www.siom.ac.cn/eng/labratories37.jpg

rjfek9ef9fn2nsj8uds9s9sejf.jpg

DSCF1228.jpg

DSCF1219.jpg

:D

Can't resist to post this too..

But we all know that thin lasers
laser_1.png

aren't anywhere near as cool as
laser_2.png

Ok, if someone needs to explain to you how to remove parts from a computer, you probably aren't on the right level to be making fricken laser beams from said parts.

You can make a purple Laser from a BD Burner the same way, got to check out the laser pointer forums for even more cool projects!

Wicked Lasers has a 2watt Blue laser for $200, thats one hell of a laser for one hell of a price. Thats right, it is TWOpointZero watts, not .2, not .02, but 2 full watts!

Wicked Lasers has a 2watt Blue laser for $200, thats one hell of a laser for one hell of a price. Thats right, it is TWOpointZero watts, not .2, not .02, but 2 full watts!
Where? Link?

I think you are referring to the 1W $300-$320[/url] Spyder Arctic S3. ;\ They bumped up the price from that $200 that it originally was.

Where? Link?

I think you are referring to the 1W $300-$320[/url] Spyder Arctic S3. ;\ They bumped up the price from that $200 that it originally was.

I ordered one when they first came out. They never shipped it. After 3 months or so I demanded a refund.

hey nice to see you here...

but my thread on PL I think beats your LPF thread :D
Are you sure about that? I don't think your screenshots are about non-diverging thick, fat, death star lasers (in other words, straight linear beams, rather than ones like yours where they are often used in raves and such). :D

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something? :confused:

Are you sure about that? I don't think your screenshots are about non-diverging thick, fat, death star lasers (in other words, straight linear beams, rather than ones like yours where they are often used in raves and such). :D

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something? :confused:

you want thick? I can fire up the 40W qswitched Nd:YAG with a KTP to make you a 40W giant green beam that can still burn through just about anything :D

Last edited:
Felcom I think you messed your post up, is wasn't informed I needed 3d glasses to see what was going on in those pictures. :p

hey nice to see you here...

but my thread on PL I think beats your LPF thread :D

445 - 1200mW
473 - 400mW
532 - 1500mW
642 - 550mW <~ my 1.2W KVant is on its way! woohoo!
655 - 2000mW

LOL, I was like WTF is going here, how did I end up in a "Dark Side of the Moon" thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
this thread delivers... freakin lazar beeeemms!!

but dude put more in depth explanation on how to remove the self explanatory parts in the pc than the other digital parts.

Flesh is quite good at conducting localized heat away, thus why people can microwave their hand to no ill effect.

But, if that laser has any UV component to it he might already have triggered skin cancer.

Back