Tessellation Hero Challenge (NV OR AMD)!! Bring it!!

ragejg

[H]ard|Gawd
Attention NVIDIA AND AMD DirectX 11 GPU owners:

Inspired by a thread over at Xtremesystems.org...

Think your owning unigine heaven on extreme? Think again. This test is not for those of the faint of heart. You will prove yourself MEN though by taking this challenge.

Heres what you do:

Set tessellation to extreme, AA/AF to 8x/16x, resolution to 1680*1050
Start heaven
Before running the benchmark click "tessellation" and set Scale, Factor, and Distance all to 2.0
Run the benchmark

He who comes through this challenge with a average FPS over 30 can consider themselves a hero. Screenshots of your heroism is of course a must.

Please only post results that fit the criteria... mods, please delete any results that do not fit the criteria so as to keep things from getting confusing in this thread. :)

AMD owners: the 30 fps hero mark is attainable; it just might require some work. I wish I had another HD 5830 and a Crossfire motherboard so I could try with AMD GPUs...

MASTER LIST OF ALL COMMUNITY CHALLENGES:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=259862

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=157017

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33970677

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=134407

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=332428

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1561075

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=59003

http://forum.elitebastards.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28345

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=185503

I'll start off with my initial results... GTX 580 @ 800 core, 4200 memory, a mild OC:

tesshero5808002100.jpg

... and a little more juice, 929 core/4670 memory:

tesshero5809294670.jpg

Let's see what you got!

Last edited:
Here's mine with my dated :rolleyes: gtx480 SLI, GPU's running at stock

Tessellation settings: Scale, Factor, and Distance all to 2.0

hero_test.jpg

BAAAAM! Makes my 2x 6850's look like an old Gforce TNT2 :( I only get 19.2fps

BAAAAM! Makes my 2x 6850's look like an old Gforce TNT2 :( I only get 19.2fps

Overclock the cards more and turn down all of your settings in CCC and try again. Sometimes a little tweaking is all you need. Also try lowering your memory speed if already OC'd a bit and boost your core. GDDR5 error corrects and tanks your fps in games and affects these benchmarks by quite a bit. 2x 6850 should be on par with a single GTX 580. Granted AMD gpu's dont have as much tessellation power but your score can get better.

You need to turn up the tessellation and distance sliders before you start the bench.

Heaven%20Benchmark%20v2.0.%203x%20SLI%20GTX%20580-003.jpg

The 580s are eVGA Superclockeds running at their default speeds of 797/1594.

Last edited:
Ya' setting all to 2.0 really slows down AMD's current crop. I'll try this on a 6950 when they hit.

Why are you using Windows 32-bit? You're really limiting yourself and I bet you could get much higher scores with 64-bit so your cards + ram could have much more of their memory addressed.

Ya, thats weird, Im running Win 7 64bit, not sure why that was in the results.

Hmm guys the binaries aren't the operating system, it is just the code of the benchmark so to say (very simplified i know); In other words it just means that the benchmark was made in a 32bit visual c++ enviroment.

I overclocked the gtx 480's to 800MHz, 2100MHz ram. Managed to hit 63.4 average. I think i am cpu bottlenecked since i dont have the i7 980x :)

Looking forward to trying some gtx 580 and cayman xt 6970..

heaven.png

I see Mike 211 hit 66.8 and , and heatlesssun got a staggering 69.8.. wow.

Last edited:
Mike211, nice work.. so do you have the 580 bug yet? or cayman bug? looking forward to seeing 3x sli with gtx 580.

Any idea how those other guys hit slightly higher scores?

Mike211, nice work.. so do you have the 580 bug yet? or cayman bug? looking forward to seeing 3x sli with gtx 580.

Any idea how those other guys hit slightly higher scores?

I have the 580 bug.Heatlesssun has the eVGA Superclockeds 580s.:D

I'm going to wait for the cayman to drop in December then Nvidia will lower their prices on the 580 to stay competitive with ATI prices.

Results thus far:

tesshero20101115.jpg

I posted a short article about this on the NV News front page, and made a discussion thread.

Thanks for your results everyone.

Wow, you recorded everyones name, took some work. I'm going to let some else know about this challenge, he has 2xGTX 470 OC 860/1740/1900.

Huge bottleneck at the top of the list, I didn't expect GTX 580s to win, they are maxed out at 1080p with two cards OC.
How did the 3xGTX 470s top the list?

Last edited:
Wow, you recorded everyones name, took some work. I'm going to let some else know about this challenge, he has 2xGTX 470 OC 860/1740/1900.

Hugh bottleneck at the top of the list, I didn't expect GTX 580s to win, they are maxed out at 1080p with two cards OC.
How did the 3xGTX 470s top the list?

I found myself doubting the results by CraptacularOne, but he followed his results postings with thorough audits of other people's results... and he has a fully water cooled setup...

After some more people get 580s (and upcoming AMD stuff) this chart will change quite a bit I'm sure.

I found myself doubting the results by CraptacularOne, but he followed his results postings with thorough audits of other people's results... and he has a fully water cooled setup...

After some more people get 580s (and upcoming AMD stuff) this chart will change quite a bit I'm sure.

I would like to see this go 2560x1600 for the Tri-SLI crowd. Then the GTX 580 can stretch it's legs.

mine is 2560x1600, but its ont he chart under the 1680x1050 results :)

Any 2x or 3x SLI GTX460 results?

There's no way to run GTX 460 in 3x SLI.

... and there are a couple 2x GTX 460 SLI results up there.

I want to see some 2x GTS 450 results, personally, and some well-optimized and OCed to high-heaven 2x or 3x GTX 465 results. :D

GTX 460 SLI. So slow :(

One thing I noticed on the benchmark and on games, is the the GPU% only runs between 50%-75%. Is this a CPU bottleneck issue, or a 460SLI issue?

UniEngine1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, thanks OP! Well I came in third, not too bad, amazed I getting hammered by 3 470s, guy has a well tuned machine there. I could probably put myself in second place with a little overclock pretty easily but then I guess a lot of the movement would take place on the list if people really tried competing, I jusr ran the benchmark and posted, no effort to do anything special.

Yeah, we need to bump up the resolution to 1080P and see how that goes.

New chart:

NOTE: First place holder CraptacularOne told me via PM that he used optimized low image quality LOD and had texture filtering quality set to the lowest setting. Though I can't say this is really "cheating", it is highly likely that almost everyone else used either the Quality or Highest Quality setting.

The results for 2 x 460 in the 30-31 range are suspect; they were likely run without having all three tesselation sliders at 2.0 before starting the benchmark or at a lower resolution, or with some other quality setting turned down. With my overclocked 460 Hawks in SLI (900/1800/2000 @ 1.100v/1.137v) my score for the "Tessellation Hero Challenge" is 22.6. That is almost double what I get with a single card so SLI is working efficiently. And there are no issues with my PC holding the 460s back. I am certainly not CPU bound (980X running at 4.4GHz).

I am using the cards in an x16/x8 configuration with the PCIe bus running at 110Mhz. I am not running x16/x16 with my Asus P6X58D because the card in PCIe #1 runs about 10 degrees warmer than it should with another card in PCIe #2 (x16), as it restricts the fan intakes. The temps equalize when they are separated with the secondary card in PCIe #3 (x8).

I also ran the challenge with the cards with factory settings, the overclock scales appropriately so there are no issues with core instability or GDDR5 errors. Running the challenge without moving the sliders (i.e. extreme Tessellation at 1.0/1.0/1.0) the score increased to 41.8.

Just wanted to point this out for those considering 2 x 460 SLI versus a 580 - don't expect the 460s to approach the 580. They do get pretty close to the 480 though.

The 2x 460 SLI results are almost definitely not erroneous. i don't know why you'd think that 2x 460 should be performing below a single 580; GF104 has great SLI scaling.

The 2x 460 SLI results are almost definitely not erroneous. i don't know why you'd think that 2x 460 should be performing below a single 580; GF104 has great SLI scaling.

GF104 does scale great, my scores come close to doubling when comparing single GPU to SLI. But the highest score I can get with 2 x 460 overclocked 900/1800/2000 with a 980X and PCIe @ 110MHz is 24.9 without reducing the Nvidia control panel settings from default. My score did go up about 10% by running fullscreen versus windowed, those who ran the challenge windowed should re-run it fullscreen.

That said I think tessellation performance of the GF104 is a bit hobbled compared to the GF100/110 GPUs, beyond the expected difference from clock rates and number of SM cores. I still don't think that the 460 SLI can match a single 580 with these crazy high levels of tesselation, but that may not be the case with games and other benchmarks (including Unigine Heaven) with more typical levels of tesselation.

Back