Help 5970+Eyefinity+TF2=the suck!

sderden

Limp Gawd
Hey wondering if anyone can help me? as title states. I have 5970 and Eyefinity. When I have Catilist A.I. on either standard or advanced I get 40 FPS in TF2. If I turn it off which effectively turns my 5970 into a 5870 and I get 100 FPS. In any other game I have tried Eyefinity and the 5970 seem to work just fine or at least i haven't noticed any issues.

Since TF2 is the main game I play this is an issue for me. I have the 10.10 and the profiles installed did a driver sweeper and all the good stuff. I have my i7 overclocked to 3.6Ghz and the 5970 clocked to 800Mhz. Tried the 10.5 and so on from there, nothing has seemed to work. Not sure what else i can do as this is driving me crazy going back and forth to turn it on and off between games. Anyone have any idea on how to fix this?

Edit I forgot to mention, even at 1920x1080 on one monitor with A.I. on i get the 40FPS off I get killer FPS. Its a driver issue I know that much.... OR steam has messed something up.

Interesting, i'll have to mess with the Catalyst AI settings and see if it makes a diff. I run TF2 on 1920x1080, single lcd, 5870. I run with VSync and am generally pegged at 59fps. But i do get some odd glitches from time to time, hard to say what causes it. Maybe its the A.I.

I thought the sweet spot drivers for the 5970 was 10.3 hotfix?

Seems that the latest update to TF2 (you see the outline of the cart in payload maps from anywhere) broke something. My 5870 dropped almost 100 FPS (for single screen) since that update, I have not updated my drivers in that time frame or anything else. So I have to assume it's TF2 itself.

It's still very playable with high FPS, but it bites non-the-less to lose that much performance.

Y.

(edited for grammar)

Last edited:
10.3 huh? I will try those tonight

I'm not positive about it being 10.3 hotfix, it may be 10.4 hotfix. Might want to search just to make sure as I don't have xFire 5870's or a 5970.

Interesting, i'll have to mess with the Catalyst AI settings and see if it makes a diff. I run TF2 on 1920x1080, single lcd, 5870. I run with VSync and am generally pegged at 59fps. But i do get some odd glitches from time to time, hard to say what causes it. Maybe its the A.I.

Would STRONGLY recommend turning of vsync when you play this game. I guarantee you'll be better with it off, once you spend like an hour getting used to it. It introduces what I call a laggy mouse that you won't notice until its off. Even when you're just using a 60Hz LCD monitor...its worth it despite the increased screen tearing.

Would STRONGLY recommend turning of vsync when you play this game. I guarantee you'll be better with it off, once you spend like an hour getting used to it. It introduces what I call a laggy mouse that you won't notice until its off. Even when you're just using a 60Hz LCD monitor...its worth it despite the increased screen tearing.

Couldn't agree more. Normally I keep V-Sync on for single player & MMO's (slower moving so ok, and it keeps the graphics card cooler), but on MP games like TF2, that's a BIG No-No... unless you're against me! ;)

Y.

It runs just fine for me at 5760x1080 on a single 5870... I play a lot of TF2. Is it that big of a deal to just disable one of the gpu's? 100fps is more than enough.

It runs just fine for me at 5760x1080 on a single 5870... I play a lot of TF2. Is it that big of a deal to just disable one of the gpu's? 100fps is more than enough.

The 5870 has plenty of FPS to spare even at 5760x1080 for this game, but the last patch took a big chunk out for no apparent reason aside from bad coding. FPS if still high, but a lot lower.

And emm... not sure what you mean by shutting off one GPU on a single 5870?

Y.

rostabosta said:

Thank you but i'll be keeping it on. I've played with it on and off, and the screen tearing in full-screen mode is simply unbearable. It does not tear in windowed mode with it off, but that has its own issues and I do not play in that mode. Vsync does not introduce any extra mouse lag. I'm still getting 59fps which is fine by me.

I did turn of Catalyst A.I. as I said I would up top and that seemed to fix my TF2 glitch problems (at least so far -- 2 days). Going to keep "testing" this mode, as I see no difference in quality in-game so i don't care if its on or off.

10.3 huh? I will try those tonight

Good suggestion by that poster. With the 5970 you have to constantly switch drivers for the most part depending on what game your playing, if you ever have an issue again, make sure you try looking into the best driver for your card with that specific game as people are constantly needing to roll drivers back and forward to get good gameplay on most games new and especially old (such as TF2)

Mark Warner the Videocard editor usually contributes to these threads as he's dealt with these issues for over a year now. He would be a person to offer good advice to you too.

Get used to disabling half of your 5970 for a whole bunch of games. I spent so much time using only half mine that I wondered why I bothered with it in the first place.

Thanks everyone for all the replys. I am fed up with this thing. i have tried every driver in the 10 revision and still nothing works. I dont feel I should have to turn of and on one of the GPU on a card that is so expensive.Drivers are the worst Ive ever seen, no wounder Ive stayed away from ATI/AMD videocards for so long. Im not a hater just dont have good luck with ATI drivers.

So I went back to my GTX295 and all is well. Every game plays great, no issues. Maybe someone else will have better luck with it, I'm looking to sell the card ASAP if anyone is interested let me know. I will be putting it up for sale tonight.

Back