The AMD Driver Bug Thread

Unknown-One

[H]F Junkie
I figured it would be nice to have a list of (non game-specific) major driver issues, as well as their associated workarounds. It took me quite a while to hunt down the exact causes and possible solutions for these issues, hopefully someone finds this pre-made compendium useful. If anyone else is experiencing a fully reproducible driver related bug, give a shout-out and I'll add it to the list.

I repeat, this thread is about bugs that are not game-specific. If you are having issues solely with a particular game, I'd advise you to make a dedicated thread to all the issues that game is experiencing.

Current standings:
- 14 Bugs Total
- 8 Resolved Bugs
- 4 Moderate Unresolved Bugs
- 0 Critical Unresolved Bugs
- 2 Will Not Be Fixed

1. OpenGL Extension Limit
Symptoms:
Older OpenGL games (such as those based on the Quake III engine) crash immediately upon launch.

Causes:
AMD’s has recently added more OpenGL extensions. The drivers don’t enable an extension limit for these older games, they can’t handle the increased count, and crash.

Workarounds:
a. Rename the game's executable to quake3.exe. This may force Catalyst Control Center to detect the game and set an OpenGL extension limit.
b. Catalyst 10.4 was one of the last driver revisions before they increased the number of extensions. Place atioglxx.dll from Catalyst 10.4 and/or the atigktxx.dll from Catalyst 10.4 into the same folder as the executable of the game you’re having trouble with. It should load the older DLL from the game folder and run correctly.

Official fix:
As of Catalyst 11.1a: Quake III, Return to Castle Wolfenstien, and American McGee's Alice are all confirmed working again.
As of Catalyst 11.6b: The Polynomial, Atom Zombie Smasher, CityMotion, and CityEngine still require resources from Catalyst 10.4 to run.

2. HD 5000 series UVD Mode Behavior
Symptoms:
a. The graphics card clockspeed jumps to 400MHz Core / 900MHz Memory when a hardware accelerated video is playing or paused (includes DXVA accelerated and Flash video).
b. GPU clockspeed will not scale up to 3D clocks when such a video is playing or paused.
c. Being stuck below 2D clockspeeds leads to a massive performance hit.
d. Secondary displays flicker or jitter every time you open or close such a video.

Causes:
The PowerPlay state for "UVD Mode" (the mode used while playing hardware accelerated video) has the incorrect clockspeed defined and the incorrect priority in the PowerPlay table, causing it to take precedence over 3D.

Workaround:
The only current way to work-around this driver/BIOS bug is to modify the BIOS on your graphics card. The basic procedure involves dumping your current BIOS with ATi WinFlash, editing UVD Clock manually using Radeon BIOS Editor (Match UVD clocks and voltage to 3D clocks for your card), then flashing the modified BIOS back to your card with ATi WinFlash again.

I've gone ahead and pre-modified the BIOS for the HD5850 and HD5870. These are for reference model cards ONLY:
Reference HD 5850
Reference HD 5870

Here are pre-modified BIOS for requested non-reference cards. If your card isn't listed, you can mod the BIOS yourself, or send me a copy and I'll post it:
Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic 1024mb

Official fix:
Buy an HD 6000 series card to replace your HD 5000 series card. AMD has now stated that they WILL NOT FIX this problem on the HD 5000 series

3. DXVA GUI Artifacting
Symptoms:
You may experience artifacting within the Windows Media Center user interface while playing a DXVA accelerated video on some AMD cards.

Causes:
Specific cause is unknown. The bug was introduced in the most recent few driver releases (confirmed in 10.9 and 10.10 on an HD4200).

Workaround:
Use older video drivers. Catalyst 10.4a are known not to have this issue.

Official fix:
Resolved as of 11.1 (not noted in the changelog, but I am no-longer able to reproduce the problem).

If anyone manages to reproduce this bug on Catalyst 11.1 or later, let me know.

4. 6400k Glitch
Symptoms:
You may notice a reddish hue to your monitor(s) after updating to Catalyst 10.10. This reddish hue may stick even after downgrading to older drivers or updating to newer ones.

Causes:
Catalyst 10.10 sets your display's color temperature to 6400k instead of 6500k, this is warmer (meaning redder) than normal. This setting does not get reset back to its normal value by most drivers updates.

Workaround:
If you are still experiencing this problem on or after Catalyst 10.10, open up Catalyst Control Center and navigate through the following menus...
Graphics > Desktops & Displays > Right click the smaller monitor representation near the bottom of the window > Configure > Color
Once there, change the Temperature slider from 6400k back to to 6500k. Your display should look normal again.

Official fix:
Officially resolved in Catalyst 10.10 hotfixes, and all drivers since.

May still require that you manually reset color temperature if you updated from Catalyst 10.10.
5. Cursor Corruption
Symptoms:
The mouse cursor may become corrupt (enlarged, garbled, etc).

Causes:
Specific cause is unknown.

Workaround:
Keeping the Windows Magnifier open in the background will, oddly, fix cursor corruption. Unfortunately, it must stay running. As soon as it's closed, the corruption comes back
A reboot will always return the cursor to normal, but having to reboot constantly is hardly a solution...

Official fix:
Appears to have been resolved in Catalyst 11.6

If anyone manages to reproduce this bug on Catalyst 11.6 or later, let me know.
6. HD 5000 Series OverDrive Behavior
Symptoms:
If you have multiple monitors (in extended desktop mode), and you select anything but default clockspeeds in AMD OverDrive, your card begins to idle at 157MHz core clock, 300MHz memory clock. These clockspeeds are too low, and can cause secondary monitors to flicker or corrupt in other ways.

Causes:
AMD Overdrive pulls its power states from the single-display PowerPlay table stored on your graphics card, even if you have multiple displays installed. The multi-display PowerPlay table uses a fixed memory clockspeed, as adjusting memclock on HD 5000 series cards causes secondary displays to flicker. The single-display PowerPlay table unlocks memory clockspeed, allowing it to scale up and down, and allowing it to cause the aforementioned flickering.

Workaround:
1. Open AMD Vision Engine Control Center
2. Click "Performance" and then "AMD Overdrive"
3. Set an overclock.
4. Apply the overclock, your secondary displays will probably start flickering, ignore it for now.
5. Click "Presets" and then "Add Preset"
6. Name the new preset "Overdrive Fix" and save it.
7. Navigate to "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles"
8. Open "Overdrive Fix.xml" in Notepad
9. Edit the clockspeeds and voltages as appropriate for your card.
Code:
        <Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="40000" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="55000" />
          <Property name="Want_2" value="72500" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="PowerControl_0">
          <Property name="Want" value="0" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="100000" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="100000" />
          <Property name="Want_2" value="100000" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="1000" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="1038" />
          <Property name="Want_2" value="1088" />
        </Feature>
Code:
        <Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="40000" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="60000" />
          <Property name="Want_2" value="85000" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="PowerControl_0">
          <Property name="Want" value="0" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="120000" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="120000" />
          <Property name="Want_2" value="120000" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="1063" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="1063" />
          <Property name="Want_2" value="1160" />
        </Feature>
10. Save the XML file.
10. Save the file over itself.
11. Go back to AMD Vision Engine Control Center, click the "Overdrive Fix" preset.
12. The card will begin to idle at the correct speed. Any display flickering should stop immediately.

Official fix:
Disable AMD Overdrive, or buy an HD 6000 series card to replace your HD 5000 series card. AMD has now stated that they WILL NOT FIX this problem on the HD 5000 series
7. AVECC Profiles are Not Properly Applied
Symptoms:
When you apply a previously saved AMD VISION Engine Control Center profile, not all aspects of the saved profile are loaded. Any setting related directly to your monitors may be effected, including resolution, relative position, primary monitor selection, and color correction settings.

Causes:
This occurs when you reconnect your displays to different heads on your graphics card. The driver has a "memory problem," and remembers the head each monitor was attached to at the time of installation. You will continue to have issues with profiles until each display is returned to its original head.

Workarounds:
1. Swap cables around until you find the original combination of monitors and heads again.
2. Apply the profile a second time, the remaining settings should switch to those defined in the profile.
3. Uninstall the driver, run Driver Sweeper, reinstall the driver. You'll have to remake all your profiles from scratch, but they'll work correctly again.

Official fix:
None. Unresolved as of Catalyst 11.8
8. Cursor Lag
Symptoms:
The mouse cursor lags, stutters, or appears to run at a lower frame-rate when it's in the top (or bottom) right hand corner of the display.

Causes:
ATi's fix for the mouse cursor becoming corrupt when moved across displays through these areas (Bug #5) seems to be the cause. The cursor no-longer becomes corrupt, but the fix is causing lag in very specific areas on the display.

Workaround:
Some users are reporting that disabling the cursor shadow has helped significantly or completely solved the cursor lag.
Reverting to older drivers (pre-11.5a) will just replace this bug with the corrupt cursor problem.

Official fix:
Resolved as of Catalyst 11.7
9. Slow Display Mode Switching
Symptoms:
Upon requesting a mode switch, each attached display will turn black one at a time (you may still see the mouse cursor). The displays will remain black for up to 5 minutes, then suddenly come back at the requested mode.
Once this has occurred once, it will happen on every subsequent mode switch until the computer is restarted.

Logging out, locking the computer, logging in, changing resolution, switching between Extended Desktop and Eyefinity, changing refresh rates, etc. all count as a mode switch. These will all take excessive amounts of time once this glitch manifests.
Note: Symptoms may not be immediately apparent. Mode switching may work correctly for quite some time before the bug kicks in.

Causes:
Unknown, but may have something to do with ATi's fix for cursor corruption.

Workaround:
None known, besides rebooting the computer or reverting to a driver older than 11.1(a)

Official fix:
Appears to be resolved as of Catalyst 11.4 (not noted in the changelog, but I am no-longer able to reproduce the problem).

If anyone manages to reproduce this bug on Catalyst 11.4 or later, let me know.
10. System Log Spam
Symptoms:
AMD's display driver constantly spams the System log (visible from the Event Viewer) with "UVD Information" while a video is playing that makes use of hardware accelerated decoding.

Causes:
Looks like somone simply left verbose logging enabled when they compiled the driver for release.

Workaround:
Set this dword value in the registry:
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atierecord]
"eRecordEnable"=dword:00000000
Official fix:
Resolved as of Catalyst 11.7
11. DCOM Error
Symptoms:
A DistributedCOM error is logged in the "System" event log (Located under "Windows Logs" in the Event Viewer) every time the computer is shut down or restarted. The Event ID is 10010, and the error logged is as follows:
"The server {E10F6C3A-F1AE-4ADC-AA9D-2FE65525666E} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout."

Causes:
This error originates from the "AMD External Events Utility" service. The problem was introduced in Catalyst 11.4 and may have something to do with 2D/3D clockspeed scaling.

Workaround:
For a simple quick fix, disabling the "AMD External Events Utility" service appears to stop the DCOM errors. This may or may not cause new problems (hotkeys will not work with this service disabled).

A more involved fix that wont disable any functionality, and has no known side-effects:
1. Extract atiesrxx.exe and atieclxx.exe from Catalyst 11.4 Preview, March 7th [8.84.3-110226a-114256E]
2. Stop the "AMD External Events Utility" Service
3. Paste the extracted executables into "C:\Windows\System32\"
4. Allow Windows to overwrite the exiting files.
5. Start the "AMD External Events Utility" service again.
6. Reboot, you will no-longer see a DCOM error logged, and no driver functionality is disabled.

Official fix:
Resolved as of Catalyst 11.9
12. Multiple instances of MMLoadDrv.exe
Symptoms:
Every time CLI.exe is called to apply a preset, it spawns another instance of MMLoadDrv.exe, and never closes it. As you can imagine, after applying a few AMD VISION Engine Control Center presets (via the start menu shortcuts created by the Control Center), this leaves quite a few extra processes running in the background that have to be killed manually from the Task Manager.

Causes:
Unknown at this time.

Workaround:
This is a relatively new bug that first appeared in Catalyst 11.6 (and persists in 11.7 and 11.8). If you're on Catalyst 11.5 or earlier, you may wish to wait for this issue to be resolved before upgrading.

Official fix:
Resolved as of 11.9 (not noted in the changelog, but I am no-longer able to reproduce the problem).

If anyone manages to reproduce this bug on Catalyst 11.9 or later, let me know.
13. ACE Event Log Errors
Symptoms:
A near-constant stream of exceptions is written to "ACEEventLog" (Located under "Applications and Services Logs" in the Event Viewer). These errors range from "Access Denied" due to insufficient privileges, to "File Not Found" because the driver is looking in the wrong place

Causes:
Unknown at this time.

Workaround:
Unknown at this time.

Official fix:
None. Unresolved as of Catalyst 11.10
14. wglCreateContext Exception
Symptoms:
An exception is thrown when an wglCreateContext is called in OpenGL32.dll

Causes:
Unknown at this time.

Workaround:
This bug just appeared in Catalyst 11.8. If this problem effects you, you may wish to remain on Catalyst 11.7 until it is resolved.

Official fix:
None. Unresolved as of Catalyst 11.9

Last edited:
Looks good, since I am also preparing a wide-ranging report on the current state of ATI's compatibility with games (mostly older games) we should keep these together for handy reference. Might help a lot of people.

Updated first post with relevant driver revision information. Also added the 6400k glitch to the list.
Looks good, since I am also preparing a wide-ranging report on the current state of ATI's compatibility with games (mostly older games) we should keep these together for handy reference. Might help a lot of people.
From my limited testing, ATi's driver compatibility with old games is actually rather good... well, aside from the recent OpenGL problems.

Have any preliminary findings, such as wide-ranging bugs that span multiple games, that we should look out for?

Last edited:

Unable to make an Eyefinity group with three EA231WMi displays. The one connected with the native DisplayPort input causes issues similar to if it were using a non-powered adapter.

Luckily they have issues with BC2 crossfire Eyefinity anyway so I'm still using 10.5.

I'm guessing the workaround would be to use DVI and a powered adapter.

DXDiag.exe reports my video memory at just 716 MB on my HD 5870s with the 10.7 to 10.10 drivers, not a problem in itself but I noticed that F1 2010 records it in the Hardware_Settings_Config.xml file. If a game or application thinks I only have that amount of memory - Windows only uses 34 MB even at 1920x1200 - then it may cause issues in future for games which don't have customisable settings and instead auto-configure based on detected specs.

Note: I have done a clean install of the 10.10d Hotfix drivers and am using the latest 4/11/10 Catalyst Application Profile, which, in fact, fixed two long-standing issues I had previously, namely World in Conflict's single player crashing to the desktop when I click on the launcher's Start Game button and the Stone Giant tech demo crashing if I ran fullscreen with tessellation set to high.

For Powerplay issues, you don't necessarily need to do anything as drastic as flashing the bios.
There are a lot of software solutions to dynamically manage clocks (In 2D, In 3D, etc).

Have any preliminary findings, such as wide-ranging bugs that span multiple games, that we should look out for?

No, and considering a driver problem that spans multiple games will rarely affect each game the same way it might be difficult to verify that it is a single problem causing multiple issues. I'll keep my eyes open, and can test anything specific you want tested (I have a pretty good hardware lab with multiple rigs NV and ATI and an embarrassing amount of games). PM me if you need anything.

Anyone able to get their 6850 to run Starsiege: Tribes or Tribes 2? They both crash on me even with application of the aforementioned fix.

Add cursor corruption for the list. I don't know what causes it but it still isn't fixed.

Add cursor corruption for the list. I don't know what causes it but it still isn't fixed.
Is this effecting 6850's as well?
I've only seen (a few) reports from 6870 users, and no real dedicated thread for the problem.

This. I've experienced cursor corruption repeatedly and I only just got the 6870 on Friday. It has happened at least 6 or 8 times upon ALT-F4 a game, exiting a game normally, or ALT-TAB from a game.

Cursor corruption has been added to the original post.

Anyone able to get their 6850 to run Starsiege: Tribes or Tribes 2? They both crash on me even with application of the aforementioned fix.
Where did you place atioglxx.dll? It usually needs to be in the same folder as the game executable in order to be loaded instead of the dll in System32. If that doesn't work (some games are picky and load DLLs from a custom path), you can try putting the DLL in other sub-folders of the Tribes 2 game folder to see if you can get it to load.

If all else fails, switch Tribes 2 to the DirectX renderer instead of the OpenGL renderer.

For Powerplay issues, you don't necessarily need to do anything as drastic as flashing the bios.
There are a lot of software solutions to dynamically manage clocks (In 2D, In 3D, etc).
Been there, done that, doesn't work. In many cases, the overclocking software is simply ignored, and the card still drops below 2D clocks when a video is opened.

The few utilities that did manage to work had to completely take over clockspeed management from the drivers. This causes other problems and headaches, like the overclocking software not detecting that a game had launched (this leaves the card in 2D mode). The hooks used by such overclocking software to detect when a game is running are also sometimes detected by anti-cheat systems like PunkBuster, which will subsequently kick you from online matches.

Stacking on MORE software and making the entire mess MORE complicated is not a solution, it just replaces one problem with a bunch of new ones. PowerPlay needs a real fix, and so far, the only thing that manages to do that is modifying the BIOS to get correct behavior out of the card.

Honestly, turning off hardware acceleration for all video is a more acceptable solution that 3rd party clockspeed management software. Far fewer headaches that way (no downclocking, no flickering, card enters 3D clocks as expected) ...though that may seriously hinder playback performance on systems with weaker processors.

Last edited:
Is COD WaW A Quake based game? Cause I get a ctd 50% of time launching it. Also I get flckering or display goes black with my 5870.

Is COD WaW A Quake based game? Cause I get a ctd 50% of time launching it.
Technically, the engine using in Call of Duty games is based on the Quake III engine, but Infinity Ward eventually dumped OpenGL rendering in favor of DirectX (which is what CoD WaW uses). The OpenGL fix will have absolutely no effect on it.

This sounds like a game-specific problem, which as the original post indicates, is not what this thread is tracking.

Also I get flckering or display goes black with my 5870.
That, on the other hand, is more relevant.

Does the display that's experiencing the blanking also happen to be the one connected to DisplayPort? If it is, you may have a fault DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter, or you need the video BIOS update that adjusts DisplayPort voltage to the correct level.

Last edited:
Has anyone PMd Catalyst Maker (Terry Makedon) about these issues and this thread. He's the first person you should tell. Also why is this not a sticky? I've read these problems time and time again on separate threads and this could save alot of threads from popping up needlessly

Technically, the engine using in Call of Duty games is based on the Quake III engine, but Infinity Ward eventually dumped OpenGL rendering in favor of DirectX (which is what CoD WaW uses). The OpenGL fix will have absolutely no effect on it.

This sounds like a game-specific problem, which as the original post indicates, is not what this thread is tracking.

That, on the other hand, is more relevant.

Does the display that's experiencing the blanking also happen to be the one connected to DisplayPort? If it is, you may have a fault DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter, or you need the video BIOS update that adjusts DisplayPort voltage to the correct level.

no It;s dvi to hdmi cable. XFX card

no It;s dvi to hdmi cable. XFX card

Test the display with another PC, maybe with a different cable, see if it's a problem with the monitor.

If the monitor is fine, and the blinking is UNRELATED to the slight flicker or jitter described as part of the PowerPlay Downclocking issue in the first post, then it's time to RMA your card.

I'm running a HIS HD 6870 , attempting to run Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast, currently on 10.10d , I have tried all the hot fixes and nothing works. I have placed atioglxx.dll in GameData folder which is the same folder the jk2mp.exe is located in. I still get the jk2mp.exe has stopped working(crash). I am running windows 7 x64 Ultimate. This is like my favorite game of all time. Im pissed off that brand new Hardware cant run it.I have seen that people get results with HD 5000 series or lower.. What can i do ? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks In advance.

Last edited:
Another bug I found with my VisionTek 6870

I can't turn on MLAA in CCC. I've heard other people have the same problem. Tried removing old drivers, rebooting, running driversweeper, rebooting, reinstalling to 10.10d and still nothing. Someone said a reformat fixed it but I don't want to have to do that.

I'm running a HIS HD 6870 , attempting to run Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast, currently on 10.10d , I have tried all the hot fixes and nothing works. I have placed atioglxx.dll in GameData folder which is the same folder the jk2mp.exe is located in. I still get the jk2mp.exe has stopped working(crash). I am running windows 7 x64 Ultimate. This is like my favorite game of all time. Im pissed off that brand new Hardware cant run it.I have seen that people get results with HD 5000 series or lower.. What can i do ? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks In advance.
I can't get it to work either on my 4870 (Jedi Knight 3).
It's an OpenGL issue with the newer drivers, unfortunately.

attempting to run Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast, currently on 10.10d , I have tried all the hot fixes and nothing works. I have placed atioglxx.dll in GameData folder which is the same folder the jk2mp.exe is located in. I still get the jk2mp.exe has stopped working(crash).

The OpenGL fix will have no effect on DirectX games like Jedi Knight II.

I just ran Jedi Knight II fine with the Catalyst 10.10's, so I kinda doubt it's the drivers. Sounds like some other issue on your system, in which case, I would make a thread over in the General Gaming sub-forum to see if anyone knows what might be causing your trouble.

JKII is OpenGL... Quake 3 engine game as I recall, which requires proper OpenGL support to run properly.

Affirmative jk2 is QuakeIII engine game. brand new system build . belarc all good. dxdiag all good. good memtest . Cant find why jk2 wont launch. Has anyone besides myself tried with a 6000 series.

I have been there.. that is pretty much exactly what Unknown has posted here. That is not a viable solution. Has no effect with my 6870. I have been here. filefront.com ,steampowered.com forums.. many say the same.. put the atioglxx.dll from Catalyst 10.4 in Gamedata folder. This has no effect. Seems im up creek you know what with a defective paddle.

I have experience a strange problem since 10.10. I have had this problem happen on 4 machines now. What happens is either booting up or coming out of a game that you have been running the native monitor resolution and have eyefinity configured, the monitor that is hooked up to the dp port goes into sleep mode. The only way I can get it to come back on is by switching from eyefinity to single display and then back again. Three of the computers are using the Accell active dp to dvi adapter w/ usb power cable. The last computer is using a dp monitor on the dp port. The problem doesn't happen every time and is very random when it does happen.

Computer 1 & 2
Biostar TA790GX 128M, Phenom II 710, 4G Ocz gold ram, XFX reference HD5850, Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit

Computer 3
Foxconn Cinema Premium, Phenom II 715, 8G Ocz platinum ram, Powercolor reference HD5850, Windows 7 64bit

Computer 4
DFI JR 790GX-M3H5, Phenom II 720, 8G Ocz Reaper ram, Powercolor reference HD5850, Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit

Last edited:
Another bug I found with my VisionTek 6870

I can't turn on MLAA in CCC. I've heard other people have the same problem. Tried removing old drivers, rebooting, running driversweeper, rebooting, reinstalling to 10.10d and still nothing. Someone said a reformat fixed it but I don't want to have to do that.

I've got a visionek 6870 and MLAA works with the 10.10, 10.10c and 10.10d drivers.

I have been there.. that is pretty much exactly what Unknown has posted here. That is not a viable solution. Has no effect with my 6870. I have been here. filefront.com ,steampowered.com forums.. many say the same.. put the atioglxx.dll from Catalyst 10.4 in Gamedata folder. This has no effect. Seems im up creek you know what with a defective paddle.
It's possible the OpenGL DLL from Catalyst 10.4 isn't compatible with the HD6000 series, causing games to crash anyway.

If that turns out to be the case, it means the HD 5000 series can actually run substantially more games than the HD 6000 series. Talk about backwards...

Typical of every new Radeon release.

Uh, this effects the last few series of cards, not just the most recent.

The only thing keeping these games working on older cards is a pretty nasty hack (using the OpenGL library from an older version of the driver). The driver team needs to step it up, stop adding features, start fixing these huge bugs before moving forward.

Uh, this effects the last few series of cards, not just the most recent.

The only thing keeping these games working on older cards is a pretty nasty hack (using the OpenGL library from an older version of the driver). The driver team needs to step it up, stop adding features, start fixing these huge bugs before moving forward.

I wasn't talking about this specific problem, as significant as it is, and although I agree with you, I still meant exactly what I said.

It's possible the OpenGL DLL from Catalyst 10.4 isn't compatible with the HD6000 series, causing games to crash anyway.

If that turns out to be the case, it means the HD 5000 series can actually run substantially more games than the HD 6000 series. Talk about backwards...

This is what I was thinking as well. I was all set to get the 5000 and the 6000 came out i figured slight boost in performance without the boost in cash. I'm paying for it now for sure. I say this. Piece of mind is priceless.. I wonder should I downgrade or rather side grade to the 5850-70 or tough it out with what i have. I love playing JKII but I am a MMO player as well.

Added a note to the OpenGL work-around in regard to HD6000 series.

Sorry guys, no known work-around for the new cards :(

Hmm haven't you guys tried to copy the actual opengl32.dll of the system32 folder instead of that atiopengl one?
Or try and rename the ati one to just opengl32.dll; that is what i have done with all my cards when i found a problem with opengl, both ati and nvidia, usually after doing that all works great.

For the opengl issue all you need to do is ask ID software nicely to hurry up and release Rage - then amd will have to fix the opengl drivers i guess.

Bios update will fix this, for your mainboard.
First off, that makes no sense. What could ATi have possibly done to jack up their cards so much, that any motherboard you install one in requires a BIOS update to work correctly?

Second, that's supremely unhelpful. A lot of motherboards aren't supported anymore, meaning no BIOS updates, meaning no fix.

How is it that all other graphics card brands manage just fine on these motherboards without cursor corruption? Sounds like something ATi has to fix, not the motherboard makers.

Hmm haven't you guys tried to copy the actual opengl32.dll of the system32 folder instead of that atiopengl one?
Or try and rename the ati one to just opengl32.dll; that is what i have done with all my cards when i found a problem with opengl, both ati and nvidia, usually after doing that all works great.
That shouldn't do anything.

Most games look at their own folder for DLL files, and if they fail to find them, immediately look at the System32 folder instead. If you copy the opengl32.dll from System32 to the game folder, you havn't changed anything, it'll still be loading the same DLL...

For the opengl issue all you need to do is ask ID software nicely to hurry up and release Rage - then amd will have to fix the opengl drivers i guess.

Rage isn't going to have this particular OpenGL issue, and as such, will offer AMD no incentive to fix the lack of an OpenGL Extension Limit.

Heh, I've seen those hacked drivers before. I was kinda hoping AMD would have things resolved before I had to resort to using them.

Anybody here have any experience with those drivers?

Back