HAF-X Air Cooled - Best fan orientation for Positive Pressure?

I just bought a HAF-X and want to know what the best fan orientation is going to be (I also got another 200mm fan for the top) and was wondering what was the best way to orientate the fans

This was my first thought, but that seems to have way more intake and only one exhaust. (and yes, I know I misspelled Noctua)

hafxfans.jpg

What are your thoughts?

Both of them? Then wouldn't that create more exhaust than intake therefore giving me negative pressure in the case?

Both of them? Then wouldn't that create more exhaust than intake therefore giving me negative pressure in the case?

Yes. make the fan on the back intake as well. It should suffice to make positive pressure if the side panel fan is still the ridiculous huge 320mm one. This also ensures that ANY hot air goes out the top. You could also just to be sure replace the top fans with some low rpm fans suchs as Scythe Gentle Typhoons.

Yes. make the fan on the back intake as well. It should suffice to make positive pressure if the side panel fan is still the ridiculous huge 320mm one. This also ensures that ANY hot air goes out the top. You could also just to be sure replace the top fans with some low rpm fans suchs as Scythe Gentle Typhoons.

So you are thinking something like this? (yes, I forgot to correct the spelling on Noctua.... again)

hafxfans2.jpg

ideally you want neutral pressure. the way it's setup in your first diagram you're trying to force out all the air through a small hole, that ends up trapping exhaust air in the case increasing component temperatures.

if the fans on top are set to one pushing air out and one pulling air in you're going to end up sucking exhaust back into the case as well, which is no good.

the rear should be set to exhaust as well. with the hsf exhausting air in that direction you'll be creating back-pressure having a fan directed at it. also with the psu exhausting out the back, a rear intake fan may end up sucking in some of that exhaust.

with everything as it is in your first diagram aside from the top fans set to exhaust instead, the pressure should be neutral depending on the cfm ratings.

Ooh, we've got a similar idea going on. Here is my build setup:

computer02b.png

Since HAF-X has so much intake, dust buildup will be an issue. Another thing to consider purchasing are these DEMCiflex Filters, since the default HAF-X filters will let all kind of things through. DEMCiflex are very fine filters that left my system dust-free for as long as I've had them:

computer04.png

defiantly get decent filters if you're concerned about dust, trying to avoid it using positive pressure is a poor solution.

By default the HAF-X comes like the first picture (save that it only has one top fan)

From what I can find...

The Top and Side 200mm fans are 700RPM @ 110 CFM

The front fan 230mm fan is 900RPM @ 150 CFM

The rear 140mm fan is 1200RPM @ no clue ( I am replacing this with a Noctua 140mm fan)

EDIT: I've looked into those filters for the HAF-X but $70??? I'll have to think about that. Were they worth it BusyBeaverHP? (I first typed your name BustyBeaverHP :p)

Sure is, they've kept my system dust free for as long as I had it. For an air-cooled system, that's saying a lot!

Note 1: The bottom filter needs to be taped on, as the magnetic force is not enough to keep it attached to the bottom of the case.

Note 2: HAF-X comes only with one top fan. To have two top fans, you will need to order it separately: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103072

The case is arriving tmrw (so I can't look in it yet) but can the filter be placed on the inside? Though I imagine that might cause issues when taking the filter out to be cleaned

EDIT: I've already gotten a second fan for the top. I plan to move the non LED fan from the side to the top and use the 2nd red LED fan I purchased on the side (if possible)

The filters are all external, except for the front intake, but you'll figure it out very soon. To clean them, I just peel them off and vacuum the filter surfaces. Easiest thing in the world.

Last edited:
Ooh, we've got a similar idea going on. Here is my build setup:

computer02b.png

I realize this a strong bump here but...
I got HAF X with Demcli filters and normal setup of top two fans, and rear fan as exhaust fans, with the front and side fans as intake. Also got vga cooler fan just behind front panel.

3 x exhaust fans
2 x intake fans. (3 if you include vga cooler fan as it is essentially sucking in air from front panel.
So I would assume my case is negative pressure, and judging by how much dust settles (and gets in) around HDD bay, front I/O panel, holes etc...I think it is negative pressure.

I have Noctua nh-d14 cpu fan pointing out the back of the case as above picture.
I'm thinking of changing my top fans to intake or just changing the front top fan to intake. Would that make my case positive do you think?? Can I get away with just changing the one fan around or would I have to do both like above pic??.

Other option is to spin around cpu cooler and have rear fan changed to intake...but that requires more work etc.
My temps are not bad or anything I'm just playing around to see If i can avoid cleaning out the case so often...demcli filters are good but can only do so much.

Back