Cleaning sticker residue from PCB ( highres images inside)?

nakedhand

2[H]4U
I am posting this here because this is where the most crafty and DIY skilled people hang out.

The problem is this: I have just received a brand new ASUS HD6870 that looks like this:

Image 1 (residue)
asushd6870residue.jpg

Image 2 (full board)
hd6870dirtypcbfull.jpg

I have never seen anything like that on a new PCB, but ASUS did do modifications (new cooler and metal top). The clamp has been cleaned with a non synthetic fabric, other than that this is how it looked when I received the card. I have not had this installed yet, as I am afraid the glue will melt and damage the PCB. What to do?

• How do I remove this big chunk of sticker residue without damaging the PCB and create static electricity?

• Should I briefly test if this board is DOA, just to make sure?

Feedback and ideas are very welcome. I have been googling "cleaning PCB", but I would like the perspective of some of you guys, also on whether this is normal or not.

Last edited:
Yes, you should definitely test the board to see if it is DOA or not, so you know if you accidentally caused any inadvertent damage.

The opaque residue on the card is flux from the soldering process, and is trivial.
As far as your adhesive residue goes, I am not exactly sure what course of action to recommend. I have successfully used q-tips soaked in acetone to remove the extremely viscous thermal paste from XBOX 360 motherboards and CPUs, but do not know if it would eat the lacquer coating off of the board.

If you were to gently apply the acetone via q-tip and not soak the board in it, you should be able to remove the sticker residue without damaging the PCB. If you have an old board laying around you can spot-test it, just to make sure.

Get some 150grit sandpaper and buff that bitch right out!

Ok ok, seriously though. I would suggest heating up the residue first with a hair dryer, that'll make it easier to remove, and using either alochol with some q tips or maybe goo gone. Goo gone is volatile stuff though so definitely spot check on spare pcb.

If I got a card like that though, I would call up asus and be like, "double u tee eff mate?"

Firstly, you don't have to worry about the glue causing any damage. Put the card in and test to make sure it works fine before you do anything.

To clean the card use isopropyl alcohol. Although 99% is best, anything less pure will still work fine. Only difference is that the lower purity will leave residue when it dries causing a bit of haze, something similar to what your card has. If you don't have isopropyl use goo gone. Don't use acetone unless you absolutely have to, it's strong stuff and if you're not careful can cause damage (unlikely, but can happen).

Test for DOA.

Then goo gone is king of removing sticker residue.

Tested, and it works. I am not sure I can get this here in Denmark, but will look. Thanks :)

Get some 150grit sandpaper and buff that bitch right out!

Ok ok, seriously though. I would suggest heating up the residue first with a hair dryer, that'll make it easier to remove, and using either alochol with some q tips or maybe goo gone. Goo gone is volatile stuff though so definitely spot check on spare pcb.

If I got a card like that though, I would call up asus and be like, "double u tee eff mate?"

Thanks for the great advice. I have now sanded down the entire PCB, its perfectly smooth now..

OK, seriously. Good input. I will contact ASUS, I think they owe me. ...finding the wifes hair dryer.

Firstly, you don't have to worry about the glue causing any damage. Put the card in and test to make sure it works fine before you do anything.

To clean the card use isopropyl alcohol. Although 99% is best, anything less pure will still work fine. Only difference is that the lower purity will leave residue when it dries causing a bit of haze, something similar to what your card has. If you don't have isopropyl use goo gone. Don't use acetone unless you absolutely have to, it's strong stuff and if you're not careful can cause damage (unlikely, but can happen).

Good to hear. I guess the coating is enough to shield the PCB from the glue, even when melting (not that I think the PCB in that area will get that hot, but I am no expert).

I will go ahead with the alcohol, only have 98% here, but that will have to do. Will spot clean it. Dont care about the haze, as long as nothing is damaged.

It really surprises me that ASUS would allow something like this through quality control.

Thanks for all your input :D

There's nothing to shield, since the glue isn't conductive and shouldn't be acidic it's really only a cosmetic issue. Not that anyone should receive a new card that looks like that, but it's only a cosmetic issue :)

There's nothing to shield, since the glue isn't conductive and shouldn't be acidic it's really only a cosmetic issue. Not that anyone should receive a new card that looks like that, but it's only a cosmetic issue :)

Cool, I had no idea whether that glue could be acidic or not.

I HATE cosmetic issues! When you get something new, it must look new, even though its not an object that you sit and stare at. Just shows you that the people who finished the product cared for it I think, plus its a nice feeling that gives me a certain comfort lol

...just wanted to add that it is more than cosmetic issues! The product is flawed. Scoring less than 25% on all benchmarks I run.

I am appalled that ASUS QC did not pick this up. Newegg.com has no part in this, since the product was sealed when I got it. I am talking to ASUS now.. and I am not happy.... especially because I live in Denmark and this is a pain. Also because I am a loyal and long time ASUS customer and frankly is disturbed that this is ASUS 2011. Not professional, not OK.

I HATE cosmetic issues! When you get something new, it must look new, even though its not an object that you sit and stare at. Just shows you that the people who finished the product cared for it I think, plus its a nice feeling that gives me a certain comfort lol

Yea, honestly the sticker residue and haze on the pcb would make me return the card. I wasn't sure what your opinion of it so I was just answering your questions :)

Some times bad gets through. It's electronics, sorry you are out of states and will have a slightly harder time returning the product. Asus customer service is pretty damn good, so I would not worry 1 bit.

The back of the P5Q Pro I got back from ASUS' RMA department had some residue similar to that, though not as severe. Works perfectly fine though and I second ASUS takes great care of their customers.

Some times bad gets through. It's electronics, sorry you are out of states and will have a slightly harder time returning the product. Asus customer service is pretty damn good, so I would not worry 1 bit.

I realize that things like this happen. And then its time for them to show some grace IMHO. ASUS customer service so far has been useless. They are very polite and just refer me to newegg.com who has no part in this. Completely neglecting the fact that it was sealed and everything apart from the PCB looked pristine when I received it.

The back of the P5Q Pro I got back from ASUS' RMA department had some residue similar to that, though not as severe. Works perfectly fine though and I second ASUS takes great care of their customers.

I am hoping you are right. Will continue to put pressure on them. In the end if they refuse to help me, I will just get my refund from newegg and never buy ASUS products again. Nor buy ASUS products (like I normally do for MB and VGA) for the 10 machines I build every 3-4 years for friends and family.

Anyway, I talked to ASUS x many! All in all, ASUS blames newegg.com, and tell me that they probably sold me "open box" and resealed it. Completely washing their hands and accusing a major retailer of fraud. Good job ASUS!

So I am at a point where I am so pissed with ASUS customer service unwillingness to take responsibility, that I am seriously considering leaving the brand all together.

Will return it to newegg, get a refund and get a non ASUS video card next. And build all my future machines, plus the 10+ machines I usually build for friends and family every few years without anything ASUS in them (pretty much ASUS MBs since mid 90s sigh).

Back