SG05 Window Mod and UV light kit mod

1_legged_sheep

Limp Gawd
I've had the HIS IceQ Pro in my SG05 for a while now and always wanted to do a window mod. The side of the case is already perforated so I decided just to cut out the perforated part and install a window. I purchased everything at local stores. The acrylic from home depot for $1.99 a sheet and the molding from Autozone for $5.99. I also picked up some glue that's supposed to work on Acrylic from home depot for $2.99. So about $11 + my time wrapped up in this.

Here's a pic of the materials minus the glue:
matsn.jpg

The center mesh part I dremel'd out:
mesh.jpg

Outer case after the cut:
windowmountedinside.jpg

windowmountedoutside.jpg

I drilled vent holes in the front of the window so the vid card can suck in fresh air:
widowholes.jpg

I had to cut the molding so it would lay flesh with the window, it doesn't look pretty but you won't see that side of it:
moldingfar.jpg

The UV light kit came with a back panel switch which there is no room for on an SG05 with a double slot vid card. I figured the switch just broke the circuit and I could just splice it out:
switchd.jpg

splicejob.jpg

I was right:
itworks.jpg

The UV kit is two 4" cold cathode bulbs. I hid one at the bottom under the video card:
bottomuv.jpg

And the other at the top on a support brace:
topuv.jpg

The cable management may look like a mess but none of this is visible:
topview.jpg

That's it for now.. the acrylic glue takes 12 hours to cure. I'll finish up the build log tomorrow or Friday hopefully.

Last edited:
Not bad bro, very clean for a basic mod, I like it.

Hey, not bad not bad! I really like the gpu in full view through the window. Reminds me a of a peepshow type of deal.

nice man. I just ordered everything I need for my mini-itx build, including that case, so stoked!

I'll take some pics with the lights in the room off.. or maybe a pic for that "Post your workstation" thread so you can see it in perspective. Those pics I took were with the lights in the room on. Those 2 little 4" UV bulbs glow pretty bright in such a small area.

Back