Hackers Have at Google TV

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Barely out of the box and the Google TV hackers are fast at work finding ways to get to the root of it all. The ultimate outcome of these hacks could be easy custom app installation before the Android Market for Google TV cranks up next year. One thing is for sure, this hacker will not receive an award for his videotaping prowess. :D

So he makes a video of something that I would guess is listed somewhere in the sony or google documentation. I see nothing so far.

Excuse me, How the everloving hell is this 'hacking'???

He just held down the power button to get into the service or recovery menu, something just about every TV or set top box has. I love how he's talking about how he expects to 'load other ROMs' etc at the end of the video...

The little dumbass should go about gaining the ABILITY to run third party code on the box before talking about grandiose plans that seem to be far, far out of his grasp.

Man, what a laugh.....

o_O this kid sounds like he's 10...

D: hacking really has lowered its standards nowadays.

I logged into service menu i r a hackerz

You know, the average person would probably think that is hacking, sadly.

I logged into service menu i r a hackerz

You know, the average person would probably think that is hacking, sadly.

Given that most the linkage on the web refers to this video as hacking, I agree. When first saw the title at another site I thought they had already got root access, but no....just a service menu :(

You guys kinda forget that hacking was the old term for doing mostly anything computer related. And Major is pretty old..so...you do the math :)

Wow... Kid needs to stop "hacking" and get on a bike outside. Out of breathe and wheezing while holding a camera and talking. Pathetic.

Depending on where you read it writing word macros is "hacking". Holding down a button to get to the service menu (of which most devices the instructions on how to do this are in the manual) doesn't even make it to that level.

not really news this at all (ps3 does the same thing as he stated as well to reset the video output to default hold it longer you access the recovery options) states this in the smaller book you get with the PS3 and i guess the google tv device (thats Sony in this case)

Wow. What do you wanna bet that Google TV box# 6037696 is the first one to not only get blocked at head end...but the most commonly cloned once someone really *does* hack it?? :D

Talk about l337 skills. :rolleyes:
Congrats on service mode though. That's at least further into the manual than 90% of consumers read

PS: -99 rep points if you had to talk to a CSR to get into the "service mode". lol

Back