AMD's Phenom II x3 740 Black Edition - an $89 monster?

ragejg

[H]ard|Gawd
Available at the Egg.

Wow!

19-103-699-Z01

I know, it's only 200 mhz faster than the x3 720 Black which has become one of the most respected gaming CPUs out there, but maybe the supply has gotten low... plus, hey, AMD still has to speed-bin some chips, and getting these to us at $89?

Awesome! I mean, hell, look at x3 720 benchmarks when THAT was released. Even though it was not too long ago, it was still around February of '09, and as far as gaming was concerned, there weren't too many games out there that would handle more than two cores if they could.

Fast forward to now, and there are a lot more games and applications that do so. ...And the cool part is that the tri-cores are often approaching and sometimes matching (and sometimes surpassing) the four AND six-core offerings in gaming when set up right (and sometimes overclocked).

To me, the Athlon II and Phenom II x3 CPUs really get competitive starting at 2.7ghz. I had an AII x3 425 for quite a while, and ran it at stock with a stock-clocked HD 4850. Next to that rig was a 720BE unlocked to x4 running at 3.1ghz, with an overclocked HD 4870. It would seem like there'd be some noticeable differences in gaming performance. Not really. Both rigs felt like very fast and snappy pixel-pushing machines, and this was observed while playing games that stress CPU heavily like Bad Company 2 and America's Army v3 and using the multithreaded image manipulation program Paint.NET.

Oh yeah, we're talking about AMD's NEW x3 Phenom, not their old stuff! Well, suffice to say, even at stock speeds this 3ghz x3 with some L3 cache should prove to be a very fast CPU. How will it overclock? Will it unlock? Newegg user reviews indicate that this chip unlocks and overclocks just like its older sibling the 720BE.

So, a CPU that is essentially a tick faster than a 720BE with the same unlock/overclock potential, and that Black Edition Coolness factor... for $89? Big Win in my book.

If you're in the market for an AMD AM2+/AM3 CPU, this seems to be a heck of a bang-for-the-buck. If I didn't already have this x6 sitting in my rig, I'd likely pick one up.

Discuss!! :D

That is a seriously good deal. I just bought a Phenom II X2 550 for 90 bucks. Wish this was available.

When I bought my 720BE it costs me around 150$.this is easily a great value on a great chip.If it unlocks its sweeter.

i use a single gpu so that isnt a problem for me...

i was just wondering if that 870 is good enough...

Ive been posting about these for a while on here when people wanted an AMD reccomended and were considering the 555, but no one listened for some reason

This processor is an awesome deal

Got my cousin a 720BE before the Phenom II X2 came out.

Awesome chip. OC to 3.8GHz like cake.

Ive been posting about these for a while on here when people wanted an AMD reccomended and were considering the 555, but no one listened for some reason

This processor is an awesome deal

Maybe people just being iffy about it being a tri-core. Seems though people are more comfortable with a dual core and quad core.

I got one, It's a fantastic CPU...Unlocked it to Quad Core, and since it's a black edition it was a cinch to overclock to 3.6Ghz. Phenom II x4 975 for $90, can't beat that....of course it's luck of the draw...I just lost on a 5200+ and a Athlon II 210e....very disapointing...

Back