China Pledges to Crack Down on Pirated Software

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Chinese government said what about pirated software? C’mon, seriously? I’ve looked at the official statement in Chinese and I believe they actually said "still pirating software, running low on crack."

The Chinese government is starting a new campaign against the production and distribution of counterfeit and pirated software and DVDs, according to the country's official news service.

I believe them. They're probably just going to crack down on THEIR software's piracy, not ours.

I believe them. They're probably just going to crack down on THEIR software's piracy, not ours.

More like they government is going to get into the business. Cut out the little guy and have it state run to increase income.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Yeah, probably only their own stuff. Pirating American software is ok. Don't want those guys to get too rich.

From the Cnet/Xinhua article :

The campaign will last for half a year, beginning from the end of October.

Additionally, the State Council directed all government agencies to purchase only authorized software and their upgraded versions.

Why only 6 months & shouldn't this be a given for any Government agency?

China is becoming more and more of a capitalistic economy as it deals more and more with other countries. It really doesn't have a choice.

That said, they don't make money on pirated software. No taxes (assuming they do that over there... I have no idea), no business license fee's, no money from exports, etc... You get the point.

By killing software piracy and turning it into a monetized profit system, everyone makes more money.

Then again, I could be full of shit :)

I bet they'll show a big conference of a steam roller going over a bunch of pirated cds/dvds... again

China IS against software piracy that isn't sanctioned by the government. Now, if pirates pay the proper 'taxes' to government officials they're legal business owners.

LOL!!! I haven't laughed this hard since seeing Fallout 3: New Vegas Anostropic Filter errors.

LOLOL! China's going to fight piracy? What piracy, are they actually going to go after ALL the stores and owners of computers with pirated versions of windows among other things?

An acquaintance was here last summer to visit family, brought her laptop with her (she lives and works in China as a professor - and no she doesn't make a lot of money). Anyway, laptop won't boot properly, she asks me (of all people who doesn't even own a laptop) what the problem is. I'm like does it turn on at all? Yeah. OK, does it go to the main windows screen? Um, no. Any weird or grinding noises when you turn it on? No. What version of windows are you using? I don't know, it came with the laptop. OK, where's the recovery disc? I don't have one, they wouldn't give me one. Why not? Because like most computers sold in China, the windows isn't legit.

Told her to just wait until she got back to China and buy another cheap laptop, but to try to get a legit copy of windows this time.

Basically, almost anything and everything you can buy in China is pirated or a knock-off or copy. Can't wait to see how their government is going to fix this in six months - including their own agencies!

I'll believe that when china buys microsoft, blizzard, EA and adobe

They could easily crack down on this significantly in 6 months of course they'd have to have a financial interest in it first then just send out the mobile execution vans and sit back and watch the level of piracy plummet. nothing like oppression to get your message across!

Back