GTX 470 Overclocks

Rossi~

2[H]4U
What overclock have you got out of the GTX 470?

I have just put mine to 700/1400/1750(3500) for now, under 90c using Kombustor (custom fan settings & cool case). This is just a quick overclock as i want to finish my build before i start pushing it, however i just wondered what the [H] community is getting out of theirs.

Hey Rossi, I posted on your thread about the GTX 460 but you couldn't take advantage of the rebates. Anyway which model GTX 470 did you get?

Hey Rossi, I posted on your thread about the GTX 460 but you couldn't take advantage of the rebates. Anyway which model GTX 470 did you get?

Hello!
I got the Asus GTX470 V2, very impressed so far. I got carried away and installed JC2, started to play it and my lord is it an improvement over the 4870 lol. Started to overclock it then realised i best finish the build before i get carried away. I'm hoping for 750/1500/1900 (3800) or thereabouts.

Anyone have info about overclocking with water? Just how much performance can you wring from these cards?

Having a look around on other forums people can get over 800 on the core with voltage increases, toasty under stock cooling though i'd think but water would be very nice for it. Though i think you'd need quite a bit more voltage to get there maybe.

on water with my cores at 1.087v I can do 820 on the core which is 100% solid OCCT tested and numerous 6 hour Just Cause 2 sessions in summer heat in my game room.. at 840 I see errors with occt's gpu test with error checking on.. so backed it off to 820 and have been happy there... on water you can fairly safely go to 1.138v if you edit the bios or flash with a fully voltage unlocked bios.. at that voltage I think 850 on up to 900 is doable on some cores.. ymmv tho.

my cards are on a full koolance setup with full cover blocks and an exos-2.5. They load with demanding games between 49c and 52c with the room at 21c... with OCCT's gpu test in non error check mode I see 60c with 21c ambient. During warmer times due to weather I would see the temps dip into the low 60s with games also, but at normal ambient temps (70ish F) usually they are under 50c... I leave the afterburner plugin activated on my G13 at all times so I watch my temps all the time.. after the time and $ spent I think getting GTX480s might have been a more economical route but the 470 WC project was a fun thing to do.. so I am pretty happy with it. the lack of jet cooling fan sound is nice also.

Last edited:
Nice, 820-840 is pretty damn good :)
I think i've already hit the limit on the memory clock.... if i start to get artifacts at 1775 and 1800 just crashes... though i'm not the only one, seems many have the issue if not worse.
Hope to get to 750 core though without pushing the voltage too much.

yeah, the memory is a real crap shoot.. I got fairly luck both my cards seem to be ok at 1900 on the mem... there's a pencil mod to boost the mem voltage but I don't like messing with that.. seems iffy, but I know lots of people do it and it does work. just seems like something you'll have to re-do once you give the cards a good dose of canned air. :p

Yeah not gonna be doing any pencil mods i dont think. I'm not that [H]ard.

Mine will do 850 @ 1.087V on the core and 1852 on the mem with OCCT little error scanning on different stress without errors. Can do 875 for some quickie Vantage runs. I've seen other peoples cards do better, but sometimes it's hard to tell who's legit or not and plus I got lucky... I never get lucky.

Just be careful though, because going from 1.000V @ 776Mhz to 1.087 @ 850Mhz increased power draw by 120w (just one card is what I have). I can knock off a 200w draw by going back to stock... damn you Nvidia.... damn you. :mad:

The max i can get on the core at stock voltage (0.987v) is 735. Will up the volts a little at some point.

I'm at 780/1750 on both cards atm, at 1025. My msi stock voltage is 1000 and the evga is 0975..

Both very stable with everything i throw at them, will try 785 after more testing at 780

750/1500/1725(3450) @ 1.012v now. Doesn't go over 80c @ 77% fan. Nice :)

120W????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JESUS.

Believe it, but you'll ONLY see it in Furmark MOST of the time. I saw similar power draws while running FF XIV beta, but that used a little bit more CPU power than furmark did so draws were similar. Owning fermi + killawatt = wtf.

Have mine at 750 core / 1500 Shader, left memory at the default. Love the Twin-Frozr cooler MSI uses. My old HD 5770 had one on it as well. When I get the time I'd like to see what the card can do with some extra voltage. Didn't even hiccup at 750, pretty warm though ....

820 Revenant??? Absolutely awesome ....

I was able to get my EVGA 470 up to 825\1650-\2000 without errors. I love this card and will add a second by Christmas if the prices fall enough.

I was able to get my EVGA 470 up to 825\1650-\2000 without errors. I love this card and will add a second by Christmas if the prices fall enough.

Nice! :)

I'm happy with me 750/1500/1725(3450) @ 1.012v at the moment. 80c @ 77% fan speed means i can push it further but i'm liking the quietness and think i may leave it here and tweak the fan settings to get it down to 70% at full load.

[snip]
Just be careful though, because going from 1.000V @ 776Mhz to 1.087 @ 850Mhz increased power draw by 120w (just one card is what I have). I can knock off a 200w draw by going back to stock... damn you Nvidia.... damn you. :mad:

I believe it.. Matrices said his hx1000 psu went into overload / shutdown on him after turning his cards up past 1.087v to 1.21v..

That's correct. I had to switch around what component was connected to what "rail" just to run both of them at 1.12v, which is where I've got them now. They run everything stable at 825/1950. The temps with this overclock, overvolt, SLI, across three monitors, are pretty insane. I hit 60 to 70C on water on a 360 rad even though they idle at 34-37C.

Of course, the cards default to regular voltages when they're not in 3D mode, so I don't count the pennies during gaming sessions.

That's correct. I had to switch around what component was connected to what "rail" just to run both of them at 1.12v, which is where I've got them now. They run everything stable at 825/1950. The temps with this overclock, overvolt, SLI, across three monitors, are pretty insane. I hit 60 to 70C on water on a 360 rad even though they idle at 34-37C.

Of course, the cards default to regular voltages when they're not in 3D mode, so I don't count the pennies during gaming sessions.

:eek: that's nice and toasty.

I don't think i'll push the 470, i don't see it worth the power, heat & noise for 50 more mhz on core.

Even if I'm a single monitor, my second card always stay at full speed in 2d mode while the main one throttle down...

Also, since one default voltage was at 1.000 and the other was at 0.975, i had to put them both at different voltage to be fully stable at 780/1750.... could that cause any problem?

Last question: does ioh voltage/ioh pcie voltage with i7 processors effect video card overclocking?

Last question: does ioh voltage/ioh pcie voltage with i7 processors effect video card overclocking?

I've played with this after hearing that it didn't help and guess what... they were right, it didn't help what so ever in graphics card overclocking.

Nvidia apparently never fixed the downclocking issue in multimonitor mode - that is to say, regular multimonitor mode. But if you're running Surround, everything downclocks perfectly.

Not sure about your situation, though - what do you mean by "full speed 2d mode?" Low power 3D mode?

Running at 870 / 1900 @1,137 here. Maxed out at 68 after 40 min in furmark.

360 rad with 6 120 push 'n' pull.

Im gonna hit 900 soon!

I'm going to run my card on water in the next few days and can't wait. I have the galaxy reference model. What would you guys say the threshold for safe volt modding is? I have heard of guys that fry their card even on water with like 60c temps before.

I've got this really annoying issue in Just Cause 2 where the tree's glitch when i'm flying over them...Thought it was the overclock but it happens at stock and furmark (kombustor) shows all is ok and i don't get any problems with any other game... Is this a known issue with JC2?

I got 2 MSI reference 480's running on my system. They are at default speeds setup in surround gaming. They idle at about 45C both of them, and during gaming for an hour they sometimes reach 71/72 but 69 is their norm. My top card is sometimes 1C cooler than the bottom card. The Phantom case as a big fan on the side, and the top card gets all of the air. The bottom was actually 3 C warmer but I added a PCI slot fan and now they tend to stay at the same temperature.

Rossi - looks like a few have reported this

do those look like your issue? have you tried in DX10 mode vs DX11 maybe?

There is a whole load of issues on that google search, that's what i found. None of them show the issue.
Basically when i fly over trees it's like the artifact in a way, they flicker. I'm going to update the drivers to the latest that just came out and see if that resolves the issue.

that used to happen to me with the trees in lotro with my GTX260s but I think it turned out to be a driver issue.. hopefully that's all it is for you.

Isntalled the 260.** drivers, all is well. Seemed to be a driver issue.
Also installed Kombustor 1.1.3 and i dont get the monitor crash issue (basically no matter what settings, when running kombustor for more than 10 minutes the screen would go into power save and not come back....
All is well! Would jsut like to add that this card is full of win.

What settings are recommended for Kombustor? I run it in DX11 mode @ 1600x1200 with 32xCSAA.

Triple post, yeah!

Just got the memory up to 1925, dropped back to 1900 (3800) I'm a happy chappy :) . Running 750/1500/1900 now @ 1.037v 80c max @ 75% fan in Furmark (Kombustor). Will push the core a little bit more maybe but i'm happy where i am.

nice.... looks like a good balance of performance / heat & fan noise.. :)

Over 75% fan speed i'm not happy with so i'm cutting it close to what i can get away with.

agreed - the fan at that level is on the cusp of obnoxious..

Totally lol, bet you're glad you got yours under water! Though that said, Metro 2033 and Just Cause 2 hang around 70-74c so it's quieter.

For me I have found it depends very much on what I am overclocking for.

In DX9/DX10 titles my GTX470 will play stable all day long at 875core 2000(4000) ram (I have just been playing Stalker Chernobyl at these settings for 4-5 hours without issues.

In Dx11 titles like Civ 5, I need to overclock a lot more modestly in order to be stable.

At these speeds it sound like a hair dryer though. I have well insulated headphones, so It doesn't bother me much...

Last edited:
Back