NVIDIA Branded Consumer GTS 450 at Best Buy

zshift

Weaksauce
I've attached links to some pics I shot today of an NVIDIA branded GTS 450 with 1GB GDDR5. I haven't heard any news of NVIDIA coming out with their own consumer version of their cards, so this came as quite a shock to me. Unfortunately I don't remember the price.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37018870@N02/5045747011/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37018870@N02/5045746651/

UPDATE: After looking through NVIDIA's, I noticed that the following link shows the GTS 450 as a "buy now" option whereas the rest on the list are "compare and buy".

http://www.nvidia.com/object/graphics_cards_buy_now.html

Last edited:
They probably couldnt find any partners willing to build cards based on the thing :p

Last edited:
Thats actually really nice. I remember the built by ATI days. It was the only model of their cards I would buy.

Yeah, I had two ATI brand cards over the years. Wasn't interested in Sapphire and the rest. I know both companies still have their own branded cards, but my understanding was they were to be used only in pre-built PCs. Knowing Best Buy I'm sure they want $200 for them or some other ridiculous amount.

A Dell pull GTX280 i had just had the Nvidia "swoosh" on it, wasn't a sticker either but part of the plastic. Kind of cool. I'd prefer no stickers & comic book looking characters on my card.

gtx2802.jpg

Last edited:
I like the minimalist design that tends to only be found on reference cards. All the third-party manufacturers add stylized and specialized graphics for their own mascots that have no business in my case. And I love the NV swoosh, 7800GTX had the swoosh cut out IIRC.

Look at the end of his post.

damn didn't notice that b4. Sux, they have the pny and evga for $129.99 online so I'd assume around the same price. I'm not even remotely interested in buying this card but I know a person or 2 that might be interested.

Does this mean they are cutting out some of the middle man and raising their profits? I don't have an economics degree or masters or maybe I would be able to understand this better.

These Nvidia-branded video cards are available only at Best Buy and in specific GeForce models.

A Dell pull GTX280 i had just had the Nvidia "swoosh" on it, wasn't a sticker either but part of the plastic. Kind of cool. I'd prefer no stickers & comic book looking characters on my card.

gtx2802.jpg
Not quite the same thing as Dell is now the supplier and is choosing not to include their own logo. Many of the nvidia suppliers just put a sticker over the nvidia one and call it a day. This is far from normal. In this case it would seem that Best Buy is now the direct supplier in order to make a buck. It stands to reason if that is true then Best Buy should be the support person to call in the event of failure. Interesting move on their part, unless nVidia has indeed started retailing their own card which I personally believe is a bad move.

Haven't hard anything about Nvidia acquiring any MFG plants, so its doubtful that they are making these themselves.
That Dell theory probably sounds about right or something similar to that.

Back