Nvidia "Bumpgate" comes full circle. How to get your settlement money inside.

Lorien

Supreme [H]ardness
This should have been front page news, I'm surprised there has been no mention of it.
Looks like Nvidia didn't want to risk losing big in court for covering up "Bumpgate" and they settled.
http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/09/29/suit.covers.15..and.17.inch.models.from.07.08/
NVIDIA GPU settlement covers Apple, Dell, HP repairs

NVIDIA has agreed to provide compensation to owners of Apple, HP and Dell computers as part of a settlement in a class-action lawsuit. The legal action surrounds NVIDIA graphics components in a variety of computers, including 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pros manufactured between May 2007 and September 2008. Other systems include certain Dell and HP machines sold between 2005 and 2010.

If your DELL or Apple laptop failed, you will get a replacement GPU.
If you have an HP laptop you will get a full replacement of the laptop.
You will also be reimbursed for any charges relating to the repair of such defective laptops and finally you can chose to be fully reimbursed for the cost of the product should you desire.

10. What can I get from the settlement?

Depending on which model you have and whether you paid for repairs, the settlement provides for: (1) a replacement of the NVIDIA chip inside your notebook computer; (2) for a replacement HP notebook computer with one similar in kind and value if you bought a subject HP notebook computer; and (3) for reimbursement of either the entire amount that you spent to have the notebook computer repaired due to a previous failure of the NVIDIA graphics chip or a portion of that amount, depending on the number of people who submit valid claims for reimbursement. All settlement benefits are provided by NVIDIA.

For more info and to see which brands and models qualify visit this page: http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/index.html

And finally here comes the saddest part of all this debacle. Note how much money Nvidia set aside to compensate users.
NVIDIA has also agreed to provide a fund in the amount of $2,000,000 to provide reimbursements
Now take a look at how much the lawyers are getting...
22. How will the lawyers be paid?

Class Counsel will ask the Court for attorneys’ fees and expenses in the amount of $13,000,000. NVIDIA will pay Class Counsel’s fees and expenses. These amounts will not come out of any funds for payments to Class Members. NVIDIA has agreed not to oppose these fees and expenses. NVIDIA will also pay the costs to administer the settlement and will fund the settlement. Dell, HP and Apple are not paying the costs of the settlement.

Not going to comment about it, I'll just let you express your own opinions.

Last edited:
Ah, Robin Hooded..

Stealing from the rich to give to the other rich and a small bit to the poor?

Not saying there were innocent but either way they look guilty or stupid. Settle and look guilty, look at what the OP stated, "Looks like Nvidia didn't want to risk losing big in court for covering up "Bumpgate" and they settled" Not sure how the OP knows but by his previous encounters with me he is an AMD Diehard. (Sorry Lorien) This could be his speculation, or even Flame bait.

So if they continue to drag the case on they risk spending millions more in legal fees thus eroding the stocks and company value, and if they settle they look guilty.

Perhaps they ARE guilty in which case they got off easy. Sucks either way.

I don't get it, if my Macbook Pro fail as it describe, I get to replace a GPU ? WTH?

Not saying there were innocent but either way they look guilty or stupid. Settle and look guilty, look at what the OP stated, "Looks like Nvidia didn't want to risk losing big in court for covering up "Bumpgate" and they settled" Not sure how the OP knows but by his previous encounters with me he is an AMD Diehard. (Sorry Lorien) This could be his speculation, or even Flame bait.

So if they continue to drag the case on they risk spending millions more in legal fees thus eroding the stocks and company value, and if they settle they look guilty.

AMD diehard...rofl
Attack the messenger if you can't fight the message, good job. I've owned from all companies over the years (TNT2, Geforce 256, Geforce 4 MX, FX5200, 8600GT, I bought a launch gtx260 192core, etc and those are only some of the Nvidia ones. I've owned 3d cards since the original 3dfx voodoo -still have a working Diamond Monster 3D- and ATi -lower case i- as well). If you want to call me anything call me pro-consumer. I have no love for faceless product peddling corporations that employ anti-consumer tactics and lie to save a few pennies.

haha I never knew that the problems I have are widespread. My MBP every now and then has problems with no video when its on and I have to reboot.

This settlement is fail. The iMacs with the 8800M GTS were also defective, yet they're not included in the class. I know that because I along with many others had the same failures with these GPUs. (Or are you going to tell me that somehow thousands of GPUs died only a few weeks out of warranty with the same exact symptoms?)

Can we keep the crazyness down and focus on the topic.

Glad to see this happen. Bout time people affected got justice.

Can we keep the crazyness down and focus on the topic.

Glad to see this happen. Bout time people affected got justice.

lol i said what i needed to say.. but yeah i agree.. i just wish this had happened when i had my HP that had this issue.. at that time HP refused to fix it and said it wasnt their fault after 3 months of yelling back and forth at em i turned the laptop into target practice.. had my friend throw it up in the air and i destroyed it with my 12 gauge :D was very satisfying..

You want unbiased news, go watch CNN :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

$2 mil for the consumers, that's probably much less than what's needed to replace the damaged goods...

Last edited by a moderator:
This settlement is fail. The iMacs with the 8800M GTS were also defective, yet they're not included in the class. I know that because I along with many others had the same failures with these GPUs. (Or are you going to tell me that somehow thousands of GPUs died only a few weeks out of warranty with the same exact symptoms?)
You can write to the court telling them you want to exclude yourself from the Class to preserve your right to sue Nvidia in the future since no judgment on the case was handed down by the courts.

You want unbiased news, go watch CNN :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

$2 mil for the consumers, that's probably much less than what's needed to replace the damaged goods...

What you talking about?? I could understand if you said FOX (right) MSNBC (left) news but CNN is more towards the middle.

I hope they get getting raped. I also hope the laywers get raped.

Then I hope I get raped by some hawt Swedish chick!

Well Nvidia did the right thing for fucking up. 2 Million is chump change for them but at least they are doing something.

Isn't the law system awesome? 13% goes to the consumer and 87% to the damn court fees.

Well Nvidia did the right thing for fucking up. 2 Million is chump change for them but at least they are doing something.

$2 mil will cover 2000 $1000 laptops. thats probably a small fraction of those affected.

You guys didn't read very closely. The $2 mil is to reimburse those people who paid to have their laptops repaired. I have found no statement how much they'll spend replacing GPUs and laptops.

I can see how you got it wrong though, the OP spun it poorly.

I already checked, my M1210 is in the class, but I've never had a problem with the GPU.

And to prove that I'm not talking out of my ass:

NVIDIA has also agreed to provide a fund in the amount of $2,000,000 to provide reimbursements if you purchased a version of one of the notebook computer models identified in the Full Notice that contains an NVIDIA GPU or MCP during the dates listed in the Full Notice experienced certain identified symptoms, and have appropriate documentation proving that you paid to have the notebook computer repaired. The amount of reimbursement may depend on the number of reimbursement claims received.

Number 9 from the NVIDIA GPU Litigation website FAQ.

That $2,000,000 divided up will probably get you a value menu item.

Wow!! THIS IS GREAT NEWS!

Finally I can get some re-reimbursement on this shitty POS HP laptop that I had bought back in Summer 2007. It's a dv6402CA and PIN GL912UA. The Nvidia gpu in it is a Geforce 5200 Go. This laptop started having a ton of problems shortly after the 1yr warranty expired. I would lose the ethernet controller just minutes into transferring files over the network. Only a reboot fixes it. This was troublesome when I have to move some large files. And Wifi is just too slow. The laptop also never comes back from sleep. Have to cycle power to fix. Oh and the GPU OVERHEATS! and I guess it burned because now the laptop runs so hot (I use a few DVD cases to lift it up a bit from the back side (30deg angle maybe) just so there's room for the vents. Video cuts out randomly having to reboot. The GPU fan also spins at 100% no matter what, and because of that the laptop is very loud. It gets so hot that you cannot place it on your lap; it must be used on a table instead.

I'm just thankful that the thing never burned and caught fire.

Nvidia products always seem shady to me, they got caught cheating in games, they got busted for producing infeior gpus, heck its CEO can shameless lie to the public with some woddscrew cards, thats why I try to avoid their products.

So how does this work if you're still covered under the manufacturers warranty?

Since it's not posted in the Nvidia subforum you know he meant it as flamebait.

Even tho they say 2million for the consumers as reimbursments it could end up to being more since it will depend on how many people actually file into this class action suit.

Nvidia products always seem shady to me, they got caught cheating in games, they got busted for producing infeior gpus, heck its CEO can shameless lie to the public with some woddscrew cards, thats why I try to avoid their products.

Quack, quack, quake. Wait, no. That was ATI.

It's not just NVIDIA that plays dirty.

True... True...

Still, it's been three years and I use it almost every day. I recently bought my third battery for it.

One day, it gets to go to the gun range and see how it stands up to 5.56 NATO... Then I get to go shopping. :D

So we're screwed in Europe?

I've just unearthed an XPS M1330 (a repaired model which was put into storage in disgust and clearly forgotten about) and for all the grief I went though for these POS's I would love to get some sort of restitution.

lol they are guilty (Nvidia) as they knew the chips were defective and sold them anyways and in the process damaged the repuation of every single laptop manufacturer out there that used them. Notice how Dell and the other laptop manufacturers did not have to pay any amt in this settlement. In the end the $15Millions cost Nvida is now paying is in addition to the lost buesiness that they suffered as a result (you'll notice that a lot more ATi options are now available to consumers)

My HP is included. It's been rma'd three times. The NIC is now getting flaky from the furnace of a chipset. Hope mine gets replaced.

What bullshit. My DV2500t nVidia GPU failed and the screen won't turn on anymore, but apparently I'm not covered. (Only up to the DV2400 is covered)

Just to add to what Decibel posted. This is going to cost NVidia big.

NVidia has already shelled out $450 million+ just in OEM reimbursements. This settlement only covers 3 OEMs, and only units sold in the US. There are a whole lot of people outside of this limited settlement who still have a really good chance of bending NVidia over for defective chipsets. Notice that NVidia admitted no fault as they have other litigation pending and any admission of fault would damage those cases. This is only the tip of the iceberg in payouts for NVidia. This potentially a billion dollar+ loss besides the $450 mil already paid out. Gonna be a messy geek soap opera.

Back