HP ZR30w Bezel-less Surround Setup

Vega

Supreme [H]ardness
Update of setup with flight controls:

I wouldn't call it a "cockpit", but the results turned out pretty good for a HOTAS mounting. I decided a center mounting of the Warthog Hotas would be too much of a pain as I like to move my chair around and get up frequently.

I side mounted the stick, which makes for easy ingress/egress of the chair. The arm support also help for those long flights and my arm weighs down the arm rest, not the stick. Less downward pressure on the stick works out quite well in addition to the Molykote EM-30L lithium soap grease I put in the stick.

Even though the real aircraft I fly is center stick, going to a side stick really isn't as strange as one would think. It works out quite natural, and you don't have to worry about "twisting" the angle of the stick as you would a center mount. I am contemplating adding touch screens to either side of the chair for Helios integration. Also, one center mounted touch screen under the main view screens. That would be a total of six screens, but the question of Helios being able to work somehow with the main display being a nVidia SLI Surround setup is still in the air.

SANY00053.jpg

SANY00012.jpg

SANY00022.jpg

SANY00063.jpg

SANY00032.jpg

SANY00043.jpg

And a few images for those that like other types of games too:

BF2:BC Vietnam

SANY0009-3.jpg

So easy to snipe!

SANY0010-3.jpg

What? WoW?

SANY00073.jpg

Three different EvE clients up and running. Top one is main character, bottom left and right are alt characters. Center bottom is web browser to view while playing all three clients.

SANY00082.jpg

I have included some photos of my 3x ZR30W Surround setup. I have removed the bezels on the monitors.

SANY0001.jpg

SANY0003.jpg

SANY0004.jpg

Some photos of the back with the bezels/cases removed. I've used the original stands. To get the monitors in portrait all you do is rotate the Vesa 100mm plate 90 degrees.

SANY0006.jpg

SANY0007-2.jpg

SANY0010-1.jpg

Various flight simulator shot's. In the DCS: Blackshark screenshot, you can see the size of the cockpit against the can of Coke in the bottom right of the picture. Incredibly immersive experience! The cockpit screen in the center bottom I think is displayed larger here than in the real aircraft. ;)

SANY0009-1.jpg

Age of Conan, everything is so large and detailed. Definitely makes you feel like your in the world.

So why did I go portrait over landscape you might ask? I first tried landscape, but the width was just too ridiculous. (That's what she said). It was nice having a large horizontal view of the game worlds, but turning your head constantly stinks. After about half the way going outwards on the side screens, it turned into a waste. That's about 4 mega-pixels I didn't even use.

A ton of games also have fish-eye problems going that wide, even with their field of view settings turned up to max. Portrait gives an awesome nearly 2:1 aspect ratio with bezel correction. This is a great field of view as virtually your entire vision area is filled, and filled with pixels you can actually see with very little head movement.

In my flight sim's the cockpit are so large and detailed it's almost like full size. I can spot enemy aircraft etc at much great distances with such high detail.

There are some issues running 3x 30" though, and some in portrait mode in particular. They obviously use a lot of power. Total is 450~500 watts. The heat output is not insignificant! Good in the winter, bad in the summer. Since these monitors, and virtually every monitor built today, has vertical pixels, cleartype text doesn't work properly in portrait mode.

The bezels are surprisingly easy to remove (if you know how). I used black-electrical tape on the edges to cover up the grey aluminum borders. I am definitely pleased on how it turned out. I've always hated bezels between screens but I think I got it down to a manageable level in which it doesn't drive me crazy.

I had a 120Hz BenQ XL2410T on a monitor swing arm for playing FPS. I then compared playing FPS like BF2:BC on both. While the 120Hz is nice, I found that I just could not beat the immersive and detail benefits of the main 3x 30" setup. I would struggle to see enemies in all the foliage on the "tiny" 24" 1080p BenQ compared to the portrait surround setup. Having 2560 vertical pixels is awesome for detail. Plus the ZR30W's input lag is so small that my game play wasn't hampered. As long as you keep your frames per second so it doesn't drop below 60, the main surround setup works just fine for FPS games.

Anyways, let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
well that is an impressive setup...
for that price, you could get three 40-42 inch professional displays that are made for portrait mode and will withstand long hours rotated 90 degrees. They will give a smaller desktop in pixels (3240x1920px), but vastly bigger actual size, which will make them more immersive.
The 42" S-IPS LG M4224C, or PHILIPS 42BDL4251V or the 40' SPVA NEC P401 all of which sport ultra thin bezels ranging from 14-17mm without any hacking or exposing the sensitive electronics...

Awwwwwwwwwwwesome. The cockpit view really does look life size.

If I were you, I'd pull the screens in a little closer, since you still have a tight pixel density and that would also further improve your FOV/immersiveness. Also, you could improve your sound by putting the speakers on the back wall, either with mounting or speaker stands.

Then get a real keyboard and mouse and you'll be all set ;)

well that is an impressive setup...
for that price, you could get three 40-42 inch professional displays that are made for portrait mode and will withstand long hours rotated 90 degrees. They will give a smaller desktop in pixels (3240x1920px), but vastly bigger actual size, which will make them more immersive.
The 42" S-IPS LG M4224C, or PHILIPS 42BDL4251V or the 40' SPVA NEC P401 all of which sport ultra thin bezels ranging from 14-17mm without any hacking or exposing the sensitive electronics...

Three of those screens you mentioned would be half the overall resolution and pixels. You'd also have to sit much further back and you would lose a lot of detail as the pixels would be like 3-4 times as big. What makes this setup so nice is the high resolution. 1080p screens don't impress me at all, especially really big ones. I also debated going 3x 1080p projectors. But you run into a whole new set of issues and in the end, it's still only 1080p put together.

I don'y anticipate any heat/longevity issues because of the screen being in portrait. The back electronics are vented 360 degrees. Hacking is a strong word! No physical damage is done to the displays in any way. As a matter of fact, I could put the bezels back on for warranty and HP would be completely clueless that these were taken apart. It's that clean.

that's bad ass vega! i had eyefinity running but it was with dell 2007s turned on their side, it was ok at best and too much work the rest of the time

i myself prefer a single 30"

but your setup reminds me of this

that's bad ass vega! i had eyefinity running but it was with dell 2007s turned on their side, it was ok at best and too much work the rest of the time

i myself prefer a single 30"

but your setup reminds me of this

Ya, I am surprised at how well portrait mode works for surround/eyefinity. While huge horizontal is nice, you also need some vertical!

Nice... well I own 1... guess I just need 2 more now?

Truly though... I owned eyefinity for a while and really didn't like it(why I just bought 1 30), but I also wasn't running 3 30s lol

Still a killer setup, glad to see you got it up and running. ;)

wow kudos to you OP!

you have to have some serious hardware to run those in flight simulations...awesome!

*Puts on Aviator Sunglasses*

Mother of God! It's Beautiful.

Now we just need to get you some cable management...and a machete...

You mentioned that arm is for another LCD that you use when you run a fps, how do you use all three displays + a fourth ?
Do you simply manually move around DVI cables?

Awwwwwwwwwwwesome. The cockpit view really does look life size.

If I were you, I'd pull the screens in a little closer, since you still have a tight pixel density and that would also further improve your FOV/immersiveness. Also, you could improve your sound by putting the speakers on the back wall, either with mounting or speaker stands.

Then get a real keyboard and mouse and you'll be all set ;)

I actually like the small Apple keyboard. :eek: It has a nice tactile feel and it is small enough to fit comfortably between my trackball and G13. I've always been a trackball user and will never change. I've won FPS tournaments with trackballs. ;)

*Puts on Aviator Sunglasses*

Mother of God! It's Beautiful.

Now we just need to get you some cable management...and a machete...

I took the pictures before I tidied up the cables. Nothing super fancy as it's all hidden behind the screens anyways.

awesome. what's your video cards for them?

I run a i7@ 4.2Ghz with OC'd SLI-480's. They seem to handle pretty good, except I can't go over 2x AA in some titles. 4x AA requires more than 1.5GB of memory.

You mentioned that arm is for another LCD that you use when you run a fps, how do you use all three displays + a fourth ?
Do you simply manually move around DVI cables?

I use the fourth DVI-D output on the SLI 480's. When I swing out the 120Hz screen I just disable the main screens. Trying to play FPS on the main screens is crazy, everything is so huge. It does make sniping long distances really easy though! ;)

I use the fourth DVI-D output on the SLI 480's. When I swing out the 120Hz screen I just disable the main screens. Trying to play FPS on the main screens is crazy, everything is so huge. It does make sniping long distances really easy though! ;)

So this IS possible, with SLI at least I'm sure it will work with Tri-Sli or I will soon find out.

So this IS possible, with SLI at least I'm sure it will work with Tri-Sli or I will soon find out.

Tri-SLI should be great. I held off on going with the third card as the limit to playing my flight simulators wasn't a third card over two, but the memory limit which stays the same no matter how many cards you have. I'll upgrade from the 1.5GB 480's to 2GB card's when nVIdia refresh's their lineup.

Youtube now hosts ultra-high resolution 4k video. Man it look's great on the 3x 30" portrait setup. Granted, there are black bars on all sides as 4k video doesn't completely fill up the 4800x2560 resolution, but it makes 1080p look like an etch-a-sketch. ;)

I have included some photo's of my 3x ZR30w Surround setup. I have removed the bezel's on the monitors and have gotten the bezel width down to 16 millimeters.

SANY0001.jpg

Can anyone guess what the desktop wallpaper is an image of? It is almost impossible to find 4800x2560 wallpaper's at 12.3 mega-pixels. I had to download super-high resolution space images to get a decent wall-paper. ;)

SANY0003.jpg

SANY0004.jpg

Some photo's of the back with the bezel's/cases removed. I've used the original stands. To get the monitors in portrait all you do is rotate the Vesa 100mm plate 90 degrees. That long arm that you see in the back allows a 120Hz monitor to swing above and in front of the big boy's for when I play first person shooter. If anyone is interested in such an item, they run about $800.

SANY0006.jpg

SANY0007-2.jpg

SANY0010-1.jpg

Various flight simulator shot's. In the DCS: Blackshark screenshot, you can see the size of the cockpit against the can of Coke in the bottom right of the picture. Incredibly immersive experience! The cockpit screen in the center bottom I think is displayed larger here than in the real aircraft. ;)

SANY0009-1.jpg

Age of Conan, everything is so large and detailed. Definitely makes you feel like your in the world.

So why did I go portrait over landscape you might ask? I first tried landscape, but the width was just too ridiculous. (That's what she said). It was nice having a large horizontal view of the game worlds, but turning your head constantly stinks. After about half the way going outwards on the side screens, it turned into a waste. That's about 4 mega-pixels I didn't even use.

A ton of games also have fish-eye problems going that wide, even with their field of view settings turned up to max. Portrait gives an awesome nearly 2:1 aspect ratio with bezel correction. This is a great field of view as virtually your entire vision area is filled, and filled with pixels you can actually see with very little head movement.

In my flight sim's the cockpit are so large and detailed it's almost like full size. I can spot enemy aircraft etc at much great distances with such high detail.

There are some issues running 3x 30" though, and some in portrait mode in particular. They obviously use a lot of power. Total is 450~500 watts. The heat put off is not insignificant! Good in the winter, bad in the summer. Since these monitors, and virtually every monitor built today, has vertical pixels, cleartype text doesn't work in portrait mode.

The pixels go from vertical to horizontal. I don't know why Microsoft never got off their ass'es to make horizontal pixel cleartype. Cleartype must be turned off, and the font size increased but then it's decent.

The bezel's are surprisingly easy to remove (if you know how). I used black-electrical tape on the edges to cover up the grey aluminum borders. I am definitely pleased on how it turned out. I've always hated bezel's between screens but I think I got it down to a manageable level in which it doesn't drive me crazy.

Anyways, let me know if you have any questions.

Where do you keep your track IR?

Agree... O_O
I would prefer taking a 56'' 3840x2160 Barco, though. At least I would still have the warrancy. :D

My screens still have the warranty. If I put the bezel's back on it is impossible to tell that they where taken apart by the user. ;) There are no warranty void if removed stickers etc.

My screens still have the warranty. If I put the bezel's back on it is impossible to tell that they where taken apart by the user. ;) There are no warranty void if removed stickers etc.

So the screen doesn't have any security seal that tells the technicians that the screen has been taken apart?

I was going to wait until November to buy, but I don't think I can wait that long :(

Before I buy.. I just want to make sure that online stores are authorized resellers. Currently I see that 2020pc @ 1058 & CompSource @ 1061 are lowest. Price is going up on CostCentral @ 1076.39.

How do I verify that these are authorized resellers ? Will HP honor warranty for these stores ?

I was going to wait until November to buy, but I don't think I can wait that long :(

Before I buy.. I just want to make sure that online stores are authorized resellers. Currently I see that 2020pc @ 1058 & CompSource @ 1061 are lowest. Price is going up on CostCentral @ 1076.39.

How do I verify that these are authorized resellers ? Will HP honor warranty for these stores ?

I believe HP has a reseller list on their site.

Nice setup. I'm using 3 of your monitors' baby brothers - the ZR24w in portrait mode. Landscape was just too wide and was nuts. But even at 7 MP and 42" of screen, it's overload sometimes sitting 2' from the screen.

How long did it take you to get used to the insanity of all those pixels?

l88bastard said:
Can anyone guess what the desktop wallpaper is an image of?
It's a Magellan radar image of Venus. I'd recognize it anywhere. Shows how much of an astronomy nerd I am...

Anyway, that's a pretty sweet setup. Now to wait until I can afford two more ZR24w's....

It's a Magellan radar image of Venus. I'd recognize it anywhere. Shows how much of an astronomy nerd I am...

Anyway, that's a pretty sweet setup. Now to wait until I can afford two more ZR24w's....

Aye Venus!

Nice setup. I'm using 3 of your monitors' baby brothers - the ZR24w in portrait mode. Landscape was just too wide and was nuts. But even at 7 MP and 42" of screen, it's overload sometimes sitting 2' from the screen.

How long did it take you to get used to the insanity of all those pixels?

It is funny switching from the 3x 30" to 1x 120Hz 24". The 24" look's absolutely minuscule.

Back