Start Folding the Easy Way!!

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
Courtesy of our friend jedi95 @ EVGA. This is a great program that he has put a lot of work into. This is a great asset to the F@H community and we appreciate your hard work.

So you want to start folding? Great! The problem most users face when just getting started is what clients to install. This can be confusing thanks to the variety of options available: CPU/unicore client, SMP client, GPU2 client, GPU3 client, tray clients, console clients, and VMs. Thankfully, there is a much easier option. FAH GPU Tracker V2 is an interface for running multiple clients and a stats tracking system. In my opinion, using the Tracker is the easiest way to start folding. That said, on to the guide:

1. Download FAH GPU Tracker V2: Here

2. Extract the folder. You can put FAH GPU Tracker V2 in any folder, and move it anytime without problems.

3. Run FAH GPU Tracker V2.exe. Make sure you use "Run as Administrator" if you have UAC enabled.

4. The Tracker will prompt you to download clients, click yes to download the FAH clients from Stanford. If you clicked no by mistake, you can restart the Tracker or go to Config -> Download FAH Clients
gpu1.png

You should see the Tracker downloading the clients. This may take some time depending on your internet connection.
gpu2.png

5. Go to Setup -> Configure
gpu3.png

Now, you have to consider what you want to be folding on. If you want to fold on your CPU, and you have a CPU with at least 2 cores then you should use the multi-core SMP client. Otherwise you should use the single core CPU client.
gpu4.png

6. Client Setup
If you have a supported GPU (Nvidia 8-series and up, ATI HD 2000 series and up) and you want to fold on it then enable GPU folding. Enable the GPU(s) you want to fold on. (red box) The GPU3 Client settings (blue box) enable the GPU3 client for that GPU. The GPU3 client should only be used for Nvidia GTX 400 series cards and ATI 5000 series cards.
gpu5.png

The force GPU section (green box) can be used later if you get a "GPU not supported" message when starting the client:
gpu6.png

Which force GPU setting to use:
None: Use this if the client detects your GPU correctly
Nvidia G80: Nvidia 8 series - 300 series
Nvidia Fermi: Nvidia 400 series (need GPU3 for this option)
ATI R600: ATI 2000 series - 3000 series
ATI R700: ATI 4000 series - 5000 series

7. Name/team/passkey/EOCID
The next step is to enter your name, team (Enter "33" here without quotes), passkey (optional, but highly recommended if running the SMP client), and EOCID (optional). If you do not have a passkey, you can get one by clicking on the word "Passkey" (red box). EOCID is your Extreme Overclocking Stats ID. This is optional, and the only thing it does is make the Stats -> View EOC Stats shortcut work.
gpu7.png

8. Starting the clients
Before you start any clients, make sure your username and team number appear at the top of the main Tracker window. If not, make sure you hit apply before closing the configuration window. You can now start the FAH clients, but remember to start GPUs one at a time the first time you start them. This makes is much easier to find the cause of problems like the "GPU not supported" message.

That's it! If all your enabled clients run correctly then there is nothing else you need to do with the Tracker.

Now, if you want to monitor your PPD, I recommend HFM.NET. FahMon is another option, but I don't recommend it if you are using the SMP client because it can't calculate bonus points. For the client directories, just use CPU, SMP, GPU0, GPU1, ect. located in the main FAH GPU Tracker V2 folder.

Last edited:
interesting.. would try it but dont want to screw with my setup..

nice work Jedi95 (if you happen to lurk around [H])..

I use it and recommend it.

The best thing about it is being able to change mid-unit to -oneunit without disrupting anything.

Very nice, I'll have to mention this to my brother as he can't seem to keep his...or even get his stuff working.

wow, this is incredibly easy. I just set it up on my laptop for a test, I was up and folding in less then 5 minutes.

*there is a version 3.15 out now btw*

I saw this on the evga forum, definitely simple. Might be just what we need to gain more of an edge on evga. Kudos to jedi95 for developing this

updated download link to his website, so people can always get the latest version

I seriously wonder why Stanford hasnt tossed a few dollars his way and made this the standard client. One download by the user, everything else is automated, too easy

I seriously wonder why Stanford hasnt tossed a few dollars his way and made this the standard client. One download by the user, everything else is automated, too easy
They have traditionally been reluctant to receive outside assistance, at least that's what I've been informed.

Hi,

It's nice to know that my work is appreciated. Also, even though I fold for EVGA, (which is why the team number defaults to 111065) my goal with the Tracker has always been to help the entire folding community.

I also wonder why Stanford hasn't designed something like this instead of their current clients. My best guess is that cross-platform compatibility is much easier with a simple console application rather than a complicated GUI like this.

Yea, but you have made this pretty darn simple I must say.

Even for us experts ;) this beats all the cutting and pasting needed to set up a multi-GPU box. I'll definitely try it on my boxen.

They have traditionally been reluctant to receive outside assistance, at least that's what I've been informed.

That's correct, I never heard them receiving assistance from a outside people for coding about anything. The farthest they can allow is to let them post in the Folding Forum as a 3rd party application. When it come to the client itself, they are very closed.

This looks pretty slick, anyone got an idea why on my two Fermi cards, it would gray out the "Force NVIDIA Fermi" selection? Neither of my Fermi cards are being utilized, although the WU did download and shows to be being worked on.

Tried turning off SLI, made no difference. Using WHQL 258 drivers. The GTX 260 card is folding fine though. Turned off the PhysX pointer in the driver, no difference there either.

I did not have the GPU 3 enabled, that was the trick. :) Deleted the old WU got a new one and it is cranking. The guy that built this app deserves a huge round of applause from the community. Never seen it be this easy.

i think he deserves a beer as well as the applause......wish i would have had this app a few weeks ago when i was starting, and setting up multi generation of nVidia cards

Hi,

It's nice to know that my work is appreciated. Also, even though I fold for EVGA, (which is why the team number defaults to 111065) my goal with the Tracker has always been to help the entire folding community.

I also wonder why Stanford hasn't designed something like this instead of their current clients. My best guess is that cross-platform compatibility is much easier with a simple console application rather than a complicated GUI like this.

they are already technically receiving free time and energy from us why shouldn't they want to spend a bit more time to make it easier for them to get more data? you've done an awesome thing that has brought me back to folding just due to sheer ease.

So it took a fancy 3rd party app to get you folding on that new monster rig of yours? Haha, nice to have you back man!

Are you going to crank up the SMP cpu client for that Gulftown as well? :)

It is all running Folding right now. The box is pulling over 800w at the wall. Just no way I can keep that up in my office. I am in here 12 hours a day......I would like to at least be comfortable. That is reason I stopped Folding personally years ago. Folding box, couple of test boxes running. All of sudden it is 88F in here.

If he is running 480s its prob worth it. Each one of those should be good for 13.5k. I doubt he is losing 27k PPD on the SMP client.

Remove the GPU clients if you're running them. You will likely see the same or similar production from the CPU alone running -bigadv SMP. Other with similar setups (I don't have one) can guide you to the best config. Running only the SMP client will reduce power draw and heat output immensely.
with that much GPU power the trade off won't quite be equal.

However a 4ghz 980x running bigadv will produce between 30k and 50k ppd by itself.

edit what nitro said

I have somewhat reduced production on my Gulftown rig now that I'm not folding with the 480s. But my electric bill will thank me and the heat in my office went down a bunch. Good trade off if you ask me.

I realize the production output of dual 480s, but the heat output and power consumption is the main issue and it's better to fold on one client than not to fold due to the adverse effects.

I realize the production output of dual 480s, but the heat output and power consumption is the main issue and it's better to fold on one client than not to fold due to the adverse effects.

Good Point

While the advmethods WUs for the Fermis were out it was pretty nice from the heat/noise/ppd aspect. Now that I'm getting only 10632s only I'm considering not GPU folding again.

Thanks. You finally dumbed it down enough for me. I'm back.

My point with this FAH GPU Tracker was to see is it worked and if so, how easily. Given what I have seen I have asked Steve to promote this in our news pages every day.

For those of you explaining to me that two 300 watt GPUs produce more heat than a loaded 140w CPU. Thanks for making sure I was clear on that. :)

Basically what everyone is saying, you could just run the SMP CPU client with the -bigadv flag enabled.

How do I do that using this FAH Tracker software? I am currently running a 6702.

i'm not sure with the software, but you probably have a 6702 because there are not a bunch of Big Adv work units out there at the moment, but there seem to be plenty 6702's.

would have to ask a Big Adv folder the other parts.

Not on my bigadv box so I can't test, but it appears to be as easy as clicking the "enable bigadv" box here:

gpu4.png

Not on my bigadv box so I can't test, but it appears to be as easy as clicking the "enable bigadv" box here:

Thanks, I even looked for that before I asked the question, but apparently I did not look close enough. :p

Ah, thanks. I had a 6702 that had been running on this 980x for 2 hours and showed 26% completed. That sound right? Did not to me so I deleted it and started over.

Back