Molex Capabilities?

I'm very novice when it comes to electrical dynamics and I have a few questions for electrical gurus in here. So I purchased a roll of 18AWG black which I'll crimp and sleeve and solder myself for all PSU cables. One question I have though is whether case fans, wires going to an CCFL inverter and CCFL wires are 18AWG? And I've heard CCFL leads suck, can they be replaced with 18AWG as well? What kind of crimp on connector do I use or can I just replace the wire like 1" from the CCFL and 1" from the connector with better stuff and still have the same result.

The other part is I want to use a terminal strip to help rid my case of wire clutter in sort of a hub. I will have a Lamptron FC6 a Lamptron 4 CCFL Inverter, a DVD ROM, 2 pumps (D5 non variable), and the sata 4 to 1 hot swap power cable which need power. Each peripheral modular cable on my BFG EX1200 is on a separate rail, with 40A provided. I will use a dedicated rail, sleeve up a modular to single molex connection, and use that to power all components. At least that is the plan, which I suspect is dubious at best. How many of the above components could I power. From most to least, I'd like to power from that terminal strip
1. Fan Controller
2. DVD ROM
3. Lamptron CCFL Inverter
4. X20 750 (XSPC Dual Bay Res/Pump)
5. SATA Hot Swap Power connector
6. D5

According to molex, the standard molex connector is rated for 8A on an 18Gauge wire. Whether this is at the rated 250V or at 12V (or if this even matters), I dunno.

Good stuff, hopefully, and I don't know whether connections further down the rail would be able to support 96W each (12v * 8a) or if that gets split among all of them, hopefully I can use multiple molex connections on the same cable. More cables coming from the PSU will increase clutter (my CS prof from last semester would hate this) exponentially.

Case fans use a much finer wire gauge, like 22AWG or smaller.

WARNING: Do NOT use regular 18AWG wires between the CCFL and its inverter. You need something with a lot of electrical insulation on it. The voltage on the CCFL is quite high, even if the current is low. You just need a fine wire (again, 22AWG will be plenty), but make sure the voltage rating on it is at least several hundred volts.

Back