Samsung F4 2TB HDD - $95 shipped from Superbiiz

Yeah it stuck in my head that the "green" drives aren't fast enough for some reason. Killer price for the storage.

Hm debating between getting one of these or speakers. Don't really need the hard drive but will need it down the line. Currently using 1 2TB and 2 640GB (would replace the 2 640GB with 2 2TB). But I have no speakers or headphones right now and am currently using earphones which is kinda terrible haha.

I couldnt resist that rascal and may buy another one. Came to $103 because they charge the frickin tax in Ca like Newegg.

eh was gonna bite, but im too lazy to type in all my info just to make one purchase.

Hm debating between getting one of these or speakers. Don't really need the hard drive but will need it down the line. Currently using 1 2TB and 2 640GB (would replace the 2 640GB with 2 2TB). But I have no speakers or headphones right now and am currently using earphones which is kinda terrible haha.

Get the speakers first, they retain their value better/progress slower. I wouldn't get an HDD (or any other PC part for that matter) until I really needed it.

Get the speakers first, they retain their value better/progress slower. I wouldn't get an HDD (or any other PC part for that matter) until I really needed it.

I know sigh. If only money grew on treesssssssss

how does this compare to the f3 7200rpm booting windows 7? I know the old f2 greens consist of 4x500gb platter compared to the f4 3x667gb platters.

Would the WD Green 2TB drive with 64mb cache be better?
Better for what? If you're not going to be using it as an OS drive or running a raid setup, then i wouldn't get hung up on all the details. It can run at least 4-5 HD streams at the same time, put it that way ;). It's a good deal on a big drive from a mfr with a good reputation.

But if you are going to use it for an OS or Raid then i'm sure there's some reviews floating around somewhere.

hmm... very tempting, I have been wanting to put all my movies on a drive.

lol, put a WD Green 2TB in my cart yesterday at $99, but didn't pull the trigger. Now that is back up to $119, but the Samsung is $95! Sweet! :)

I might buy this for an external backup drive, but I wonder how cheap they'll be on black friday. hmmm..... I think i'll wait cuz I don't need it right now.

damn the newegg ones have some overhead.

667GB Formatted Capacity
I think they need to fix the description

I ordered two....FROM EGG ...I won't buy a damn thing from ewizzzzzz
thanks for the link solaris54

Last edited:
I would be in for four if I could justify spending the money right now.

Got the drive today. Came well packaged in plastic clamshell in between foam inserts.

omg. I already went in on 2, during the last newegg deal. its 10$ cheaper now for 2. hmmm..

Pretty good price for a green drive. Too bad it's not 7200 RPM; then it would've been an outstanding deal.

It is faster than my 10K VelociRaptor, and Much faster than any 7200RPM drive out there.
Faster than the VellociRaptor just b/c of its higher platter density? Wow, that's surprising.

How vs. the "Black" drives, that always go for such a premium?

damn the newegg ones have some overhead.

667GB Formatted Capacity
I think they need to fix the description

I ordered two....FROM EGG ...I won't buy a damn thing from ewizzzzzz
thanks for the link solaris54

It's 667GB *per disk* as it says. That just means, it's the newer gen with 3 platters for 2TB instead of the older 203s, which had 4 platters @ 500 each.

That's really high density since the older blacks are either 333 or 500.

For reference, just a simple HDtune so YMMV.

F4 2TB: 66/137/102/15ms
WD 2TB EARS: 51/118/89/15ms
WD 2TB black 2001faas: 73/150/116/12ms

Last edited:
velociraptors aren't known for their r/w times though, they're known for their extremely low random access times. Velociraptors shouldn't be compared to big hard drives, they're designed for completely different purposes. Now, if a large hard drive was getting lower random access times than the velociraptor...

Lower access time = Intel SSD
Mass storage = Green or F4 drive

Unfortunately, both the Green and F4 are 512e drives so they won't be placed into any of my rigs until they are native 4k due to potential performance loss of read-modify-write. Not a big deal though so I wouldn't worry yourself if you -need- a drive now. I'd use an F4 or Green. Personally, I'd choose the Samsung over the WD which parks the heads every 8 seconds by default (a silly implementation).

Back