1055t@95w or 1077t at 125w

nicknick

n00b
I kind of asked this in another posting but got no response. I have a motherboard that takes only up to 95w motherboards. I was thinking of upgrading to a 1055t, but I see that Fry's now has the 1077t at 125w for $180

I have an AMD 780G motherboard - GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev. 1.1). Link:
http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downl....aspx?pid=2814.

1. Are there any technical reasons why the 1055T would be wasted in this slightly older motherboard?

2. I need a 95w version to get on the supported cpu list for that motherboard. My current cpu is an athlon x2 4200, and according to anandtech, this new motherboard would be much faster (http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/37?vs=147).

3. Can I underclock the 1077t successfully and run it or not? I've never underclocked anything before.

I use this system for windows 7 media center, and have a vision of some recoding.

-Nick

get the 1055t, yes youc an underclock but you may or may not get to 95w, the 1055T 95w chips are specially binned for the lower wattage

that motherboard supports the 1090T which is a 125w processor so why do you NEED a 95w processor?

if you really want a 95w chip go with the 95w 1055T.. or go with the 125w 1055T and undervolt that.. prices should drop drastically on the 125w 1055T here in the next couple weeks..

I think you misunderstood him. He's asking which option he should choose:

1) Keep his current GA-MA78GM-S2H which limited him to 95w and thus upgrade to a 1055T.

or

2) Should/Could he upgrade to 1075T and underclock it to work on his current mobo (which doesn't support 125w CPUs).

given his need of "I use this system for windows 7 media center, and have a vision of some recoding."

I don't know if you can underclock a 125w cpu to work on a 95w board, but I wouldn't bother anyway. IMO, I'd save the cash on this round and just upgrade to the 1055T. Save your money for the future as I don't think you'll see that much difference between CPUs given your needs in any case.

I had a similar decision on whether to upgrade my 5000+ on my old GA-MA69G-S3H (also limited to 95w CPUs and the 6 cores are not even listed as supported), or scrap the whole thing for a new build. I chose to upgrade to an X3 740 for @$90 and wait till next year on a new build. This CPU will handle anything I need for the next several months and I didn't think it was worth it to upgrade mobo, ram, and CPU when I don't REALLY need 3 more cores for my current needs. I'll go all out on the next build next year.

Last edited:
I think you misunderstood him. He's asking which option he should choose:

1) Keep his current GA-MA78GM-S2H which limited him to 95w and thus upgrade to a 1055T.

or

2) Should/Could he upgrade to 1075T and underclock it to work on his current mobo (which doesn't support 125w CPUs).

given his need of "I use this system for windows 7 media center, and have a vision of some recoding."

I don't know if you can underclock a 125w cpu to work on a 95w board, but I wouldn't bother anyway. IMO, I'd save the cash on this round and just upgrade to the 1055T. Save your money for the future as I don't think you'll see that much difference between CPUs given your needs in any case.

I had a similar decision on whether to upgrade my 5000+ on my old GA-MA69G-S3H (also limited to 95w CPUs and the 6 cores are not even listed as supported), or scrap the whole thing for a new build. I chose to upgrade to an X3 740 for @$90 and wait till next year on a new build. This CPU will handle anything I need for the next several months and I didn't think it was worth it to upgrade mobo, ram, and CPU when I don't REALLY need 3 more cores for my current needs. I'll go all out on the next build next year.

ahh woops total brain fart missed the N/A on the bios version.. saw it in the list and didnt even bother looking at what bios supported it..

as far as putting a 125w processor in and underclocking to 95w it depends on the way the bios is setup.. if its a hard limit when it detects the 125w processor it will auto shut down and refuse to post.. but if thats not the case then odds are since theres no bios that supports the 1075T/1090/1055 125w it will just show up as an unknown processor and be a waste of time anyways..

ahh woops total brain fart missed the N/A on the bios version.. saw it in the list and didnt even bother looking at what bios supported it..

as far as putting a 125w processor in and underclocking to 95w it depends on the way the bios is setup.. if its a hard limit when it detects the 125w processor it will auto shut down and refuse to post.. but if thats not the case then odds are since theres no bios that supports the 1075T/1090/1055 125w it will just show up as an unknown processor and be a waste of time anyways..

Ding ding ding! This is the correct answer.

I kind of asked this in another posting but got no response. I have a motherboard that takes only up to 95w motherboards. I was thinking of upgrading to a 1055t, but I see that Fry's now has the 1077t at 125w for $180

I have an AMD 780G motherboard - GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev. 1.1). Link:
http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downl....aspx?pid=2814.

1. Are there any technical reasons why the 1055T would be wasted in this slightly older motherboard?

2. I need a 95w version to get on the supported cpu list for that motherboard. My current cpu is an athlon x2 4200, and according to anandtech, this new motherboard would be much faster (http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/37?vs=147).

3. Can I underclock the 1077t successfully and run it or not? I've never underclocked anything before.

I use this system for windows 7 media center, and have a vision of some recoding.

-Nick

Nick:
Get the 1055t 95W at TigerDirect for $189.99 and get a decent HSF and you will be all set.

Your mobo does not support 125W, so DONT get an 125W.

As far as it being a waste, what is the rest of your system and what do you want to do with it? Regardless it will be a lot faster that is for sure.

Get the 1055T. You know from its TDP it is guaranteed to work on 95 watts, no fooling with clock speeds or guesswork necesary. The clock speed advantage of 200 MHz will not be realized if you underclock it. Likewise, buying a new motherboard to support 125w processors is not cost effective.

Nick:
Get the 1055t 95W at TigerDirect for $189.99 and get a decent HSF and you will be all set.

Your mobo does not support 125W, so DONT get an 125W.

As far as it being a waste, what is the rest of your system and what do you want to do with it? Regardless it will be a lot faster that is for sure.
Get the 1055T. You know from its TDP it is guaranteed to work on 95 watts, no fooling with clock speeds or guesswork necesary. The clock speed advantage of 200 MHz will not be realized if you underclock it. Likewise, buying a new motherboard to support 125w processors is not cost effective.

Before getting that 95w from Tiger Direct I would read the reviews.. The only one talking about the chip itself says they are shipping 125w CPU's instead of the 95w.

I called tiger direct on that. They said if it's wrong they'll refund you no problem. There was someone on the boards here saying that they definitely got a 95w chip also.

I did some research on Thuban cores and this is what I've found. There are two products designated as the 1055T. The difference between the two is that one runs at a higher voltage of 1.125 - 1.400, same as all the other Thuban's, and therefore has a 125w TDP. The other model operates between 1.075 - 1.375 volts, and has a TDP of 95, right in line with what your motherboard supports. Here is some relevent information:

The model number for the 95w 1055T is: HDT55TWFK6DGR

Wikipedia article explaining the different Thuban models and power envelopeshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Phenom_microprocessors#.22Thuban.22_.28E0.2C_45_nm.2C_hexa-core.29

AMD Phenom II processor model comparison(missing the 95w version)http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/phenom-ii/Pages/phenom-ii-model-number-comparison.aspx

I could not find any etailors that stock the 95w version. Judging from the scarce information and that even AMD does not list it on its own website, it could be a limited availability part. Good luck

Back