FEAR Horrible FPS Issue

FireDemon

Limp Gawd
I am having a strange problem with FEAR.

When you first launch the game and start playing, everything runs flawlessly. I play with every setting enabled/maxed at 1920x1080 resolution. I ran the test and scored 88% above 50FPS, with 0% being below 20FPS. After playing for approx 15 minutes however, something happens and the framerate drops through the floor. I get <20FPS and the can tell that the game even runs this sluggish while paused to the menu. It is almost as if the entire system is being CPU limited somehow. I have never had this problem on any of my previous systems, and nothing I've had has been able to run the game this good so I was hoping someone could chime in with a fix.

My system specs are,

AMD Phenom 9950
Geforce GTX 460
Foxconn Destroyer 780a
4GB Crucial DDR800
4 500GB Barracuda's in NVRAID 0

The entire system is currently running at stock speeds as I haven't completed the build yet and the hardware/cooling systems are incomplete.

Weird problem. Let's start real simple (you probably already did this): Does v-sync setting make any difference?

Since I have seen so many posts about it and people still asking, this is for the answer.

This is a known compatibility issue with the original F.E.A.R. engine and Logitech G series keyboards and mice, with an emphasis on the former.

This is caused by the engine incorrectly overpolling the USB I/O in Windows. This is mainly apparent in all versions of Windows 7.
Logitech is not at fault - there are some apparent flamers here - which is why Logitech products work with a literal 99% of games.

TO FIX

Simply go into the Start menu and right-click "Computer", choose "Manage".

From there, go to "Device Manager" and choose "Human Interface Devices".

To get the best performance, you are going to want to disable all "HID-Compliant Device", you should not need to disable ANYTHING else.

Note: for the most part, these are used for the interfaces on the keyboards, which is why there is anywhere from 3-7, any applets will be disabled until these HID devices are re-enabled.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1279444

^^ I didn't know about that. Thanks for the information. :)

A bit more detail on disabling the HIDs (and re-enabling them when not playing FEAR):

go to start > control panel > hardware and sound > device manager > Human Interface Devices

now at the point, there should be some misc. HID that should be disabled. for me, i right click on every HID and went to properties. clicked on the driver tab and clicked driver details. if you get a box saying" no driver files are required or have been loaded for this device" disable that HID.

I had that problem with my Logitech VX Revolution mouse, but solved it by going into Device Manager and disabling the two 'HID-Compliant Device' entries (under 'Human Interface Devices'). There are some others similarly named, so make sure you only disable the ones with exactly that name.

I can still use the mouse in the game (only uses basic functions of the mouse) and then just re-enable them after playing to get the extra features back. I made a shortcut to Device Manager in the Quick Launch Toolbar to make it easier to access.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gam...18927-fear-fps-drop-30-about-15-min-game.html

To add to the above, it's not only a problem with G-series hardware. As far as I've been able to tell, the issue affects any Logitech products that use Setpoint.

Huh I had this happen with FEAR maybe once every chapter or too. Didn't know it was linked to anything.

It was doing the same on my MX518. Keeping most of those HID devices disabled really didn't cost me any day to day functionality.

It was doing the same on my MX518. Keeping most of those HID devices disabled really didn't cost me any day to day functionality.

You can disable them, play the game, then re-enable them when you are done.

I actually am using a logitech G15 and a Performance MX. Stranger is that the standalone expansion, Perseus Mandate does not experience this problem. I would think it would since it uses the same engine just with different maps. I know also that FEAR 2 does not do this since I played it on my last Win7 install with the same keyboard and a different logitech mouse.

I can disable the HID for the keyboard as I actually never use any of the G15 specific functions. In fact, my next keyboard is gonna be a MERC Stealth. But if this shuts down my mouse specifics as well that's not acceptable as I have two of the thumb buttons mapped to zoom and slow-mo.

Back