AMD confirms new gpus coming soon

cannondale06

[H]F Junkie
"It's certainly more than changing a sticker," he said with a grin. "I wouldn't say it's an absolute, complete from the ground up new architecture .It's a nice, different architecture."

He confirmed that it wouldn't just be the high-end card hitting the shelves by Christmas either. It wont be the full lineup, but we will see multiple SKUs of the card with the complete range following very quicky.

http://www.techradar.com/news/compu...ics-pre-christmas-717388?src=rss&attr=newsall

so the problem is.. are they going to release a GPU faster than GTX 480 before Christmas...

If AMD releases a GPU that is equal to or faster than the 5970 then I will plunk down the money and get it.

My next move will be dual watercooled cards. Will they fix their Crossfire drivers and have higher performing cards than 2 GTX 480s. Judging by their current dual cards performance since 2 5870s can only go as far to beat dual 480s I wonder if 2 gtx 480s will best even their newer cards in multi card. Only time will tell.

At this point I'm rooting for AMD as nvidia needs an extra kick on the ass to stir up more competition. The videocard market has been quite stagnant lately. Cmon AMD please speice things up!! ;)

Well at least this will put an end to the people spreading FUD saying these cards won't be out until next year.

All I want is an HD 6870 or whatever their fastest single GPU solution is. I just hope it's not over $400 for the launch model.

Well at least this will put an end to the people spreading FUD saying these cards won't be out until next year.

All I want is an HD 6870 or whatever their fastest single GPU solution is. I just hope it's not over $400 for the launch model.

according to rumor:
blastingcap said:
6990 <--the analog to this would be the HD5970 (dual Cypress)
6970 <--the analog to this would be the HD5870 (single Cypress; Cypress is the flagship chip of the HD58xx series)
6870 <--the analog to this would be the HD5770 (single Juniper)
etc.
from here. stupid huh?

Will they fix their Crossfire drivers. Only time will tell.

Don't bet on it. Not after a year. Still working on 4870x2 performance. That's not something to be proud of.

I expect their single-GPU drivers on their new cards will suffer issues just like experienced this round.

AMD = A Mediocre Driver (if you're even that lucky)

At this point I'm rooting for AMD as nvidia needs an extra kick on the ass to stir up more competition.

GTX480 SLI is cheaper than triple 5870s and gives comparable performance.

GTX480 tri-SLI is cheaper than dual 5970s and simply hands AMD its ass.

Nvidia always outnumbered by a GPU, but is either comparable or wins hands-down no question.

What kick does Nvidia need to stir up competition exactly?

I absolutely expect that Nvidia's going to keep the multi-GPU crown, regardless of old vs. new tech. And if AMD's drivers suck, I expect people will experience what I did when I got a 5870: regretted that I chose to Ebay the ol' 4870x2 instead of just Ebaying the 5870 and saying good riddance from the get-go.

AMD does not care about its customers. I have no understanding whatsoever why people are even interested in their upcoming cards.

according to rumor:
from here. stupid huh?

AMD's purposely trying to cause confusion to help sell some cards.

Don't bet on it. Not after a year. Still working on 4870x2 performance. That's not something to be proud of.
And if AMD's drivers suck, I expect people will experience what I did when I got a 5870: regretted that I chose to Ebay the ol' 4870x2 instead of just Ebaying the 5870 and saying good riddance from the get-go....

still love my 4870x2. i have no need for eyefinity with a 30", and no real need for DX11 except of course slowing down my games and making 1 or 2 of them look infinitesimally better. :) are the 4870x2 drivers still broken? amd just released a fix for the crossfire problem in the last week.

I wonder what he meant by...

"A one year cadence is about the best you're ever going to see on a new architecture," he continued. "We've got another unbelievable launch, with a wide range of products. That's about the best we could dream of."

?

That in the graphics card business a one year cadence or "dev time" for a new product launch (because the competition is so unusually lackluster) is so incredibly rare that it allows even more energy to be spent on refining the next launch?

dude, higher numbers=better cards. everyone knows that. :rolleyes:

AMD is working on inventing a base 11 number system so they can make better GPUs after the 9990. :D

I expect their single-GPU drivers on their new cards will suffer issues just like experienced this round.

AMD = A Mediocre Driver (if you're even that lucky)

GTX480 SLI is cheaper than triple 5870s and gives comparable performance.

GTX480 tri-SLI is cheaper than dual 5970s and simply hands AMD its ass.

Nvidia always outnumbered by a GPU, but is either comparable or wins hands-down no question.

What kick does Nvidia need to stir up competition exactly?

I absolutely expect that Nvidia's going to keep the multi-GPU crown, regardless of old vs. new tech. And if AMD's drivers suck, I expect people will experience what I did when I got a 5870: regretted that I chose to Ebay the ol' 4870x2 instead of just Ebaying the 5870 and saying good riddance from the get-go.

AMD does not care about its customers. I have no understanding whatsoever why people are even interested in their upcoming cards.

multi gpu makes only a fraction of sales on either side. yes the 5800 crossfire sucks. if your only looking at that then your post makes sense. but if you move away from that tree you will see that a 5870 is only slightly less then a 480GTX in real world game play. and ATI dominates the market right now with the glaring exception of the 200 dollar price point. and even there Nvidia isn't making money on the 460GTX. (though I think they are regaining market share that the lost, will be interested to see those numbers) so yes they do need to catch up here. some real competition would force a price drop by AMD. If what yous said was true they would not have been able to sell at the MSRP for nearly a year.

GTX 480 vs 5870 at 1920x1200:
Metro 2033 is 32% faster
Far Cry 31% faster
HAWX is 29% faster
BattleForge 25%
AvP 17%
Call of Juarez 2 19%
UT3 17% faster
Stalker - Clear Sky 13% faster
BC2 12% faster
WoW 9% faster
Supreme Command 2 8% faster
Dawn of War 2 6% faster
Riddick: Dark Athena 5% faster
CoD4 4%
Dirt 2 5870 is 3% faster, a difference of nearly 3FPS
Crysis 5870 is 2% faster, less than 1FPS difference

Source - http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_460_HAWK/6.html
(These benches performed with latest drivers)

I disagree that the GTX 480 is only "slightly" faster in real world game play. Not only does it have a more stable frame rate, but in almost every game the card is faster... in many games by well over ten percent.

I would like to know where NVIDIA admitted to become a loss leader. I do not believe the company is taking a loss on every GTX 460 they sell.

The 5870 is a poor choice, today. I don't understand why ATI won't slash prices to compete. They have no problem cutting the price of the 5770 to be EXACTLY where it needs to be... what gives with the 5870?

Why cut prices when your product is still selling well? This is common sense.

The 5870 is a poor choice, today. I don't understand why ATI won't slash prices to compete. They have no problem cutting the price of the 5770 to be EXACTLY where it needs to be... what gives with the 5870?

Maybe because when it comes to DX11/Win7 AMD/ATi has mindshare and is seen as a leading product (early to market helped too), while johnny come lately Nvidia has to contend with the too hot and too much power sucking tag that seems to cloud it's performance advantages (sales tell the story). Expect this trend to continue with the 68/9XX series.

GTX480 might be [H] but enthusiast market is pretty small %, and AMD will clean up at oem, entry-level and mid-range and high end once the new crads drop, Nvidia are going to be hurting again.

They don't need to slash their prices. Believe it or not, the enthusiests makes up very VERY little of the market. Most consumers know its the best card that their favorite maker has and they will pay for it regardless of the numbers.

On top of that, FPS aren't everything. Heat, overclocking, warranty, past experiences, hardware (better cooler etc), all should factor into a purchase. Im sorry, but If I had a 5870, I wouldn't sit in front of my pc saying "SHIT!!! I wish this card gave me 12% more frames.. what a fucking rip off". But I can see myself bitching about how hot Fermi runs, how little overhead there is for overclocking due to heat, how much power it draws, and wondering about how much havoc this is going to cause my CPU's overclock with the extra heat in my case.

Yeah fully [H] about the new 68XX series, nice to see AMD pushing out a new arch. Going to grab fastest single GPU again as soon as it drops, my 5870 was a good deal from launch day.

Assuming they are a good performance bump over what is already out there (which seems almost a certainty) AMD already has a sale from me.

for one its still selling just fine, and it despite the canned benchmarks you listed actually offers pretty competitive real world performance to the 480GTX. go look at the H reviews. add that to it being quieter and using less power it tends to make it more attractive. Where the 5870 fails is not in comparing it to a 480GTX as it actually looks pretty good there but in multi gpu configurations. then it starts sucking wind. but that market is even smaller.

in a round about way this is actually Nvidia's unwitting doing. they could compete directly with the 5850/5870 with a non crippled GF104 based card. Of course no one is going to buy a GF100 based card if they do (at least at price they can afford). and until they do AMD can lever their advantages and keep the prices fairly high. If they did release such a card you would see the prices drop like a rock. but in the mean time as there are not that many people with "fermi certified cases" they not going compete except at somehting of a disadvantage.

i suspect we'll see some good clearance deals for the 5xxx series come soon. When that happens i may just have to upgrade.

i'll be honest and say i am a little suprised AMD is pushing the 6xxx series out so soon. IMO i think they should be holding it back a little until Nvidia even starts to make a showing on their next card. I mean i haven't heard anything coming from the Nvidia camp on what they have in the future.

Considering Fermi was a design that was Shelved and then re-introduced after whay they wanted to go for didn't pan out it makes me wonder what Nvidia has in the R&D pipeline.

AMD/ATI right now are just beating the drum on a 12-14month cycle for new product release (not just rebranding either). (4870 June 2008, 5870 Oct 2009, 6970 Oct/November 2010).. And there isn't any reason to believe with their new philosophy (starting with the 48xx series) and designing chps for optimal manufacturing, that there won't be a new release this time next year.

Has anyone heard anything about Nvidia's next card? even Charlie hasn't gotten any rumors of anything new.

With crossfire being as bad as it is versus SLI, I wonder even with the supposed 25 or so % single card gain of the 6xxx over the 480, if you put two 6xxx vs two 480 if the 480 still turns out to be pretty strong because of superior SLI.

With crossfire being as bad as it is versus SLI, I wonder even with the supposed 25 or so % single card gain of the 6xxx over the 480, if you put two 6xxx vs two 480 if the 480 still turns out to be pretty strong because of superior SLI.

I'm dying to know, too. Unfortunately, this question won't be answered for what is likely to be another six months. And that's only if ATI releases 1Q 2011. Nothing is concrete.

The "superior SLI" was just an illusion from nvidia boys grasping at straws because a glitch in ati driver, it is not in any way "superior" as it has been proved by recent reviews, stop kidding yourself.

The "superior SLI" was just an illusion from nvidia boys grasping at straws because a glitch in ati driver, it is not in any way "superior" as it has been proved by recent reviews, stop kidding yourself.

Hmmm... incorrect.

SLI GTX 480 curbstomps CFX 5870.

Assuming they are a good performance bump over what is already out there (which seems almost a certainty) AMD already has a sale from me.

Count me too.
wink.gif

I doubt that your going to see that again. for some reason the 5800 just don't crossfire well. the 5600 and the 5700 both scale excellently. Unless AMD totally has their head up their ass I doubt that will be repeated. it may be an insignificant part of the market but they surely had the bad press.

i'll be honest and say i am a little suprised AMD is pushing the 6xxx series out so soon. IMO i think they should be holding it back a little until Nvidia even starts to make a showing on their next card. I mean i haven't heard anything coming from the Nvidia camp on what they have in the future.

But AMD is holding back, though it isn't by their choice. If AMD could really have it's way, we'd be talking about the 28nm Northern Islands GPUs coming out, not the 40nm Frankenarcheitecture that is Southern Islands. In addition, though the situation is quite a bit better now, the 5 series was always a little lacking in the very crucial 150-200 dollar department, and they're clearly trying to rectify that hole with the new parts.

On the other hand, I'm willing to bet that AMD gets at least some utility by releasing an interim part like this, kind of like the 4770 of it's GPU architecture.

But AMD is holding back, though it isn't by their choice. If AMD could really have it's way, we'd be talking about the 28nm Northern Islands GPUs coming out, not the 40nm Frankenarcheitecture that is Southern Islands. In addition, though the situation is quite a bit better now, the 5 series was always a little lacking in the very crucial 150-200 dollar department, and they're clearly trying to rectify that hole with the new parts.
Uh... you've got your codenames mixed up. This years refresh is still named Northern Islands. Northern Islands was 32nm (codenamed Ibiza, Cozumel, and Kauai) to start. When TSMC cancelled their 32nm process, AMD used the Northern Islands mArch on 40nm to create Cayman, Barts, etc. It's still the same architecture, just with less functional units to make up for the increase in transistor size. The "frankenarchitecture" label seems a little unfair to AMD. NI isn't (and never was) a complete rebuild from the ground up but that shouldn't diminish its ability to successfully bring new-generation performance gains while still stuck on 40nm.
Southern Islands is next years 28nm architecture and always has been.
On the other hand, I'm willing to bet that AMD gets at least some utility by releasing an interim part like this, kind of like the 4770 of it's GPU architecture.
The 4770 was remarkable because it was the first AMD GPU on 40nm, which gave it a significant advantage compared to its 55nm brethren despite being architecturally similar. This year's NI refresh is the opposite of this: AMD is stuck on 40nm and the entirety of the performance gain is due to architecture differences (and a small concession on the sweet-spot strategy).

Nvidia has played that game as well. So let's not try to pretend they haven't played the very same naming game. How many renamed iterations of G92 must there be? The uninformed consumer is fleeced and thinks oh GT220/230/240 this must be better! But in reality it gets its lunch money taken by older generation video cards.

At least the 6xxx series should actually be faster video cards.

Still have yet to see a slow down of my 5850 at 1920x1200. Maybe when I get around to Metro 2033 I'll get excited about these new cards?

Back