Asus VE278Q

gman

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone seen this yet? It's an LED version of the VE276Q.

Last edited:
I'd bet money that unless this monitor is substantially more expensive than the 276 that it will be a less quality picture due to a poorer backlight. Proper LED backlighting isn't cheap.

I'd bet money that unless this monitor is substantially more expensive than the 276 that it will be a less quality picture due to a poorer backlight. Proper LED backlighting isn't cheap.

+1 The only LED monitor worth getting is the Apple 27 and that monitor scored lower than a cheaper IPS LCD.
One of my friends just returned his LED TV for a LCD. I did the same a few weeks ago.
A full array LED monitor/tv costs a lot more for a quality picture, not worth the energy savings.

I just bought the Asus VE278Q, 350 w/ s/h included I currently have a Ve276Q which i will return. Will let you guys know how they compare although the VE was EV278Q was only $10 more dollars then the VE276Q. Asus Monitors have gotten good reviews across the board so I'm hoping there is a slight improvement either way only costing me 30 to upgrade (20 to ship it back) which isnt too bad . Will let you guys know once i get monitor also Apple cost 3-4x more then the Asus........would rather just get a led tv for that money

I got mine coming too. On a UPS truck that will get to me Thursday. Took a bit for newegg to ship them, but as of today it is on its way to me.

Registered just to ask you what you think as soon as you get it set up. Im in the market for a new 27" but I can't take the plunge to a new model that I haven't read reviews on. I can't find any reviews anywhere. I hope its awesome, because I want it!

Be honest now...if it doesnt measure up I'm thinking ill grab the VE276Q or the P2770H or whatever it is. I'm sorry for the grammar- I'm on my phone.

I am hoping it has the good characteristics of the ve276q just with a nice led back light. Really wish I paid the 2.99 for the rush processing so I would have it sooner

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/led-vs-lcd-monitor.html

Why would that be the case? Engineers, laborers, glass, copper, and plastic, are cheap enough. Perhaps retooling, retraining, down time, and USA recessions 2.0+ will cost the factory a little money.

If all goes well enough, it could be ok for fewer manufacturers at "sale prices"? ... Regardless, I've read a lot of good things about LED vs LCD quality, true blacks (not gray blacks), vibrant, colorful realistic image, high efficiency, space saving, mercury free.

I have pre-ordered my VE278Q and hope it is what I expect. Any thoughts between VE276Q and 278Q? I am also Interested in any other reviews.

cheers

I ordered mine last night so will prob come in 5-7 days but will let you know how it stacks up to the VE276q. The 6q is a great monitor btw I'm really happy with it but i'm hoping the 8q will have slightly better pic quality but will put a review up once i get it. Also get it from provantage
http://www.provantage.com/asus-ve278q~7ASU91H8.htm
they have a standard return policy incase you get a dead pixel , at least you can return it where newegg you cant

On Friday the only place I could find the VE278Q in-stock was newegg. Looks like they changed there monitor replacement policy. Does not mention anything about dead pixels just that it can be returned for replacement in 30 days or for refund within 30 days unless there is evidence that you damaged it. Watching UPS tracking just drives me crazy

haha yea, I live in Ca so newegg is more expensive then other sites since id have to play taxs + recycling fee, but def post up review also if you can put your display settings that be great too

I sure will. Ordered a 5870 to go with the new monitor. I am rather excited. Will post on Thursday as soon as I get it all hooked up.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1550776

this is the link for next version of the same monitor which has build in webcam, i was hopping of getting this after seeing review, but seems like after they shipped one they run out of it. (in same forum another [H]user told me he ordered and as soon as he replied they finally shipped i chacked and they were out hopefully they'll get more soon.

Do know that this version appeared first for sale and then the one without the webcam.

I'm not sure they prob came out the same time they're the exact same monitor except one comes with a web came, I dont need a webcam so i didnt get that model

Yeah I would bet they came out at the same time. I have a web cam so did not need that feature built into my monitor.

I'm not sure they prob came out the same time they're the exact same monitor except one comes with a web came, I dont need a webcam so i didnt get that model

indeed they did but for sale newegg offered the VK278Q two day before the VE278Q

Ok i got my monitor in today soo heres my 1st impressions vs the VE276Q :

The stand on 278 is monitor is less wobbly then the 276, I have no idea why considering they're the same stand but maybe the 276 I got was a little loose?

In terms of color I used the windows 7 color calibrator (dont have a 3rd party one) , the color on the monitor is very good but is about even about even with the 276, I was a bit disappointed with the color of it when I 1st turned it on because I was expecting more vibrant colors then the 276 but I would say that there is only a slight improvement. Starcraft 2 colors look a little bit more vibrant but nothing that would make me say oh wow!

Update : Colors are a bit more vibrant not sure about 20% but 10% more, notice a difference in SC2 colors and stuff after using the monitor abit longer overall extremely happy with this monitor.

In terms of Blackness the 278 produces deeper blacks then the 276, while I thought the 276 black levels were fine the 278 blacks seem "blacker" then the 276's

Sound on both monitors is decent , I use external speakers but have used the monitors speakers when during lan partys , which i noticed was better then other built in monitor speakers.

Besides that the viewing angles on both monitors are very good and backlight bleeding is pretty much non existent ( I havent noticed any but havent been looking for it either).

One area the 278 has a edge over the 276 is power consumption the 278 uses 45w compared to the 276 which used 75w (i think).

Overall in terms of ratings out of 10 I would give the VE276q a 9/10 and the VE278q a 9.4 out of 10 I would recommend either monitor based on price..

I originally bought the 276 for 340 w/shipping included no tax (bought it out of state) , I purchased the 278 for 350 w/shipping included no tax ( out of state)...for me its worth the $10 difference
but if you dont live in Ca Buy.com offers the 276 for 308 free shippping, which makes the difference roughly $40 which I dont think is worth it.
Basically it depends $10- $20 price difference get the 278, $20+ price difference I'd go with the 276, Both are excellent monitors I was extremely happy with both but still in my 30 day return period so I returned the 276 and got the 278.
If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Last edited:
I actually cant find my digi cam right now not sure where i put it but the screen is matte no glare or reflections, and the edges are glossy so its a bit of a finger print magnet

Thanks for the review, i've seen both LCD and LED tv's and few monitors, now i'm not sure if LCD monitors are better than LCD tv but compare to LCD tv the LED tv's offer more viberant colors least 20% more, so it might just be me but i was accepting same from LED monitors, however it'll be much cleared if someone with another brand or asus smaller LED monitor does review (not 120 HZ monitor while it might be totally different) but i'm sure to think it might be different. hope to get some pictures soon. (look in that dirty pile of cloths i'm sure it's in there somewhere :rolleyes:)

aaa

hum where is the webcam? please don't tell me you got ripped off or is it the version without the webcam (the one you actually ordered?) or did they ripped you off? or may be i'm blind not to be able to see the webcam. sorry for so many quesiton qurious :p

and if you haven't posted picture today i was gonna ask you to put mirror in front of it and take the picture with build in webcam.

The VE278q doent have a webcam, the VK278q is the version with the web cam, didnt want a webcam so i got the one without it

Okay just got this beast of a monitor hooked up. It is quite a big difference coming from my 22" Samsung. The monitor is a bit bright out of the box. Not too thrilled at the controls being on the bottom of the monitor, but that is being nit picky. I checked for back light bleed and it is not noticeable at all. Just a little glow on the bottom, but it is very acceptable. Sorry the picture of that came out shaky so will have to retake it. Played a few FPS games and did not notice any ghosting. The picture in picture works pretty well too. You can change the size, source, position and swap inputs, but it is all done from the OSD. All in all I am very happy with the purchase of this monitor.

Pros:
Large 27" screen
Good colors
Back light bleed is not noticeable
Did not experience any ghosting while gaming
LED back light

Con:
Placement of the controls (nit picky)

Last edited:
I really hope one of the reputable review sites gets the Asus VE278Q and the new Benq EW2420. They both look very interesting.

I am looking to pull the trigger on this monitor but just haven't seen enough feedback yet. The 26q model seems to have gotten great reviews and feedback so I would assume this monitor would be no different if not better in a review?!?!?

Also I am looking to order this from Amazon.com (sold and shipped by amazon not a 3rd party)..... how does there return policy work monitors that say ship damaged or with a dead pixel?

Thanks for all the help guys.... I've got this money in my pocket burning a hole but just cant seem to pull the trigger yet without seeing more reviews and feedback.

Hey I had the 26q and its a good monitor but the 28q is a better monitor...I've owned both monitors and returned the 26q for the 28q the price difference for me was $10 so I would def recommend the 28q over the 26q if the price difference is minimal, but in terms of picture quality theyre pretty close, the 28q looks slightly better but not a mind blowing wow difference that I was hoping for. Amazon is great for returns for monitor they give you 30 days doesnt matter if it has dead pixel or not but if it does have a dead pixel you would have to pay for return shipping which is 20 not that bad considering size, if tis damaged from shippping then they would pay for shipping back to them if you have any other questions feel free to ask...what would be the price of the 26q your buying and what would be the price of the 28q?

Well as of yesterday (it expired though) Newegg had the 26Q on sale for $299 which in total would have cost me $324 shipped. BUT not today its at regular price of $338 and the 28Q is $364.

So the difference from the 26q to the 28q is about $30 bucks!

I should have jumped on the 26q yesterday when it was $299 and saved $70 bucks but I really dont want old technology.... I know LED is not a huge leap from CCFL but LED really is the new standard that will be coming for these monitors and I dont want to be behind the curve just to save a few bucks.

And I have always heard that LED over CCFL will give alot better black and most of the time a tiny bit better pq and colors?

Not sure what the heck to do here.

It really just depends on if you can have the money for it or not, amazon has the 26q for 308 shipped

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VE276Q-2...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1287092779&sr=8-1

and the 8q for 350 but totally understand that you dont want old technology...if you have the money for the 8q get the 8q if your on a budget or moneys an issue then go for the 6q, dont wanna get the 6q and regret not getting the 8q although dont worry youll be happy with eitehr monitor! Hopefully this will hold me down until 30" become mainstream and affordable,

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It really just depends on if you can have the money for it or not, amazon has the 26q for 308 shipped

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VE276Q-2...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1287092779&sr=8-1

and the 8q for 350 but totally understand that you don't want old technology...if you have the money for the 8q get the 8q if your on a budget or moneys an issue then go for the 6q, don't wanna get the 6q and regret not getting the 8q although don't worry you'll be happy with either monitor! Hopefully this will hold me down until 30" become mainstream and affordable,

WOW ...... Today I was thinking why did I not pull the trigger on the 6q from Newegg yesterday when the deal was going and now its gone today.... but after taxes since I am in CA. it was gonna be $324..........................

BUT $308 with free shipping and no taxes on Amazon might just seal the deal.

The 8q would cost $392 after shipping and taxes at new egg (I know a few other online places have it for cheaper but I need a solid company with a good exchange service in case it comes with a dead pixel).

So the difference in price between the 6q and the 8q would be $84.00 dollars........... from what I have read for those who have had the 6q and 8q that this kind of price difference isn't worth that kind of difference.

Would I really know the difference as far as picture wise between these two? I don't play games at all either all I do is web surfing, DL'ing torrents, burning games and movies, etc. nothing graphical at all either... I don't even watch movies at all on my PC.

Should I just pull the trigger on the 6q for that kind of price difference considering what I actually do on my pc?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
WOW ...... Today I was thinking why did I not pull the trigger on the 6q from Newegg yesterday when the deal was going and now its gone today.... but after taxes since I am in CA. it was gonna be $324..........................

BUT $308 with free shipping and no taxes on Amazon might just seal the deal.

The 8q would cost $392 after shipping and taxes at new egg (I know a few other online places have it for cheaper but I need a solid company with a good exchange service in case it comes with a dead pixel).

So the difference in price between the 6q and the 8q would be $84.00 dollars........... from what I have read for those who have had the 6q and 8q that this kind of price difference isn't worth that kind of difference.

Would I really know the difference as far as picture wise between these two? I don't play games at all either all I do is web surfing, DL'ing torrents, burning games and movies, etc. nothing graphical at all either... I don't even watch movies at all on my PC.

Should I just pull the trigger on the 6q for that kind of price difference considering what I actually do on my pc?

I'm replying my own reply!!!!!!!

No need for advice at $308 with a $84 dollar difference in savings over the 28q and through amazon directly with a no questions asked return or exchange policy (plus they don't wait for the return rma'd monitor they ship you one the next day after the rma and you have 30 days to return the defective one) and also singed up for a free trial of amazon prime and had the option of free two day ship or $3.99 next day overnight.......

A total of $313 for this bad boy shipped to me tomorrow (actually Saturday since its past business hours today and it wont ship till tomm.) with a superb 30 day return / exchange in case I have any dead pixels or other issues from a great proven great online seller!

Thanks so much for turning me on to this deal at amazon... I have no clue how I missed it but its a steal! :)

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
Np yea i was if this a $84 price difference not worth it amazons a great company to work with i was able to get the 8q for 350 but off of provantage at the time the 6q was 340 off of amazon. Im happy with the 8q so wont go through the hassle of another return just to get the 30 back , but glad your happy with your purchase + with what you use it for you wont notice the diff

Hey guys. Just joined because of this thread actually. I wanted to thank everybody for their posts on this. It made the decision to buy a lot easier.

My impression-
Excellent picture. VERY bright. So much so in fact that I needed to turn down the brightness quite a bit. No backlight bleed and pretty good blacks for an LCD screen. My only complaint really is that the controls for the OSD are pretty much placed in the worst possible way. It makes changing anything a hassle (though the quick buttons aren't bad.) You should also be able to turn off certain inputs (DVI for instance so I didn't have to skip over it to get from HDMI to VGA) though I'm really nitpicking on that one.

Question though...
-Is enabling 24p playback on the PS3 really doing anything good for it? The monitor accepts it though I'm not sure if it is working or not- ie. making a difference. I only tried a John Mayer video so I'm not sure if it is working well or not.

Back