It Is The “Clean Your Damn PC” Weekend

HardOCP News

[H] News
After seeing the inside of this computer, I am officially declaring a “clean-your-nasty-ass-computer” weekend! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to clean your damn computer people! Thanks to Dave at Overclockers Club for the pics!

Just another typical 2 pack a day smoker's HP Pavilion; nothing to see here, move along now. :D

Classic smokers PC. I try to spray mine out at least once a month and we vacum almost everyday and don't have pets or kids. The machines stay pretty clean.

...I bet it stinks worse than it looks too. :rolleyes:
And I bet the owner sits there and lights up every time they start playing Farmville or on Pogo.

I'm waiting for something to sprout first before cleaning!!

pc-dust.jpg

Well it was about time I did a complete disassembly + clean. Guess it'll be this weekend.

Anybody know any alternatives to spending $10/month on a can of compressed air versus $150 air compressor and nozzles, etc.?

Is there something in between?

A computer that has been sitting in a rickety old shed on a dairy farm will put any other example to shame. Not that the given examples aren't nasty in their own right. :D

Monday I fixed a "broken" computer sent in for repairs by taking off the cover and dusting it out - blowing into it and having a vaccum cleaner hose pick up the dust from a safe distance.

Easy money is good money.

oh that pic is just straight up nasty. D: I feel bad for the computer for not being clean! Anyway, I won't be cleaning my pc this weekend. [already cleaned it 2 weeks ago :D]

I have an ED 500 and It kicks ass. It will blow dust into the next world. I use it to clean my computers no air condensation like canned air. I also use it to blow out air filters in my car and vacumn cleaners. At least 300 pecent more blast than any canned air. Better than any air compresser for cleaning. Pays for itself in a few months.

I have an ED 500 and It kicks ass. It will blow dust into the next world. I use it to clean my computers no air condensation like canned air. I also use it to blow out air filters in my car and vacumn cleaners. At least 300 pecent more blast than any canned air. Better than any air compresser for cleaning. Pays for itself in a few months.

I will second this, canned air is too expensive and is full of "don't huff me" chemicals that smell up a room when cleaning electronics.

Awesome investment! Had mine for about 2 weeks and absolutely love it. Using in tomorrow to clean the inside of my PC when I swap my motherboard out.

Metro Vacuum ED500 on Amazon for the people that have never heard of it.

My case will get cleaned next week when I upgrade. By clean of course I mean it will be replaced and stuffed into a closest. I am going to clean my apartment this weekend however. Its not bad, but I wasn't home at all last weekend when I was originally going to clean everything so it gets done tomorrow or Sunday.

I'll definitely be cleaning mine out this weekend. I've been meaning to clean it for a little while now (CPU heatsink is gunked up with dust), but this gives me the motivation to actually do it!

Cleaning the raven RV02 is such a huge task one has to remove the side of the computer and then they have to pull out 3 dust filters, clean them, then put them back while marveling at the dust free insides. It is such a huge fucking job.

I will definitely be asking for the ED500 at Christmas time. Thanks for the info guys. I'm tired of canned air...its just annoying.

Indeed, I would never go back to canned air after having my ED500, best money spent on a PC tool ever. Mine paid for it self the first month.

Hey, I think I worked on that once! Seriously though, the worst I ever worked on had a COLONY of living ROACHES on the inside!:eek: At first I saw one, then had a coworker look to confirm I wasn't crazy. Spraying with dust remover brought out the rest of the family. I promptly sealed the case shut, put a bag around it, and called the customer to come and pick up their computer with a full refund of course.

Hey, I think I worked on that once! Seriously though, the worst I ever worked on had a COLONY of living ROACHES on the inside!:eek: At first I saw one, then had a coworker look to confirm I wasn't crazy. Spraying with dust remover brought out the rest of the family. I promptly sealed the case shut, put a bag around it, and called the customer to come and pick up their computer with a full refund of course.

I would have put the computer out on the pavement and found a way to killed them all and then charged for the extermination fee.

When I see the tell-tale signs of insect infestation(rust looking spots near entry points in the case) I take it outside. I then proceed to set up a kill circle around it and then open both panels and tap the case a few times. After getting rid of the lively ones all ya really have to do is turn the case sideways and give it a few shakes to shake the rest of the hulls, husks, and whatnot out of the case.

Then you can proceed as usually with your cleaning regiment.

Of course, this is ALL done outside. You only bring it back inside once you figure up the extra cash it cost to go through all of this and confirm said cost with the customer.

Back